Farley Article in the NY Times

Perhaps his job entails more than just marketing to customers; it includes marketing to employees :)

Employees sometimes make the best salesmen. It would be foolish to overlook their influence over the purchasing decisions of their friends and families. It would be nice to see the Ford assembly plant parking lots actually full of FORDS again as well.

Gosh! Its nice to have a Ford guy at Ford.......I don't remember reading about htis much passion since Hank the Deuce

Farley's mission is pretty straight forward: He needs to make it "cool" to be a "Ford guy" again. Right now, we're pretty much looked at as being "behind the times".

Employees sometimes make the best salesmen. It would be foolish to overlook their influence over the purchasing decisions of their friends and families. It would be nice to see the Ford assembly plant parking lots actually full of FORDS again as well.

Oh I'm not saying it's a bad thing. Besides, employees who are depressed about their jobs will never be as productive or creative as those who are optimistic and upbeat. Turning around employee morale is probably the most important goal for the long term health of the company.

So we get to deal with your bullshit over $700 bucks that you think Ford owns you? You should be banned.

:violin::baby:

Ford owns who?

Farley at Toyota - Quiet guy making cautious statements---> He delivered big time

Farley at Ford - More outspoken. Really Enthusiastic ---> Time will tell if he will deliver big time

Did Jimbo talk in circles at Toyota?

--------------------------------

Remember what Farley said about Detroit a few years ago in response to GM's criticism of Scion???

Toyota exec's reaction to GM's criticism of Scion. “I couldn’t care less about Detroit,” he said in 2003. “My prediction is that they will follow us.”
Edited by P71_CrownVic

Employee morale I agree is important...my mother owns her own business and her turnover rate on employees is almost next to nothing. It's a very casual atmosphere, very open, people are able to bring in their kids for a day if there's a teachers workday they have off, there's none of this "politically correctness" in the workplace...You have some Cubans picking on the Dominicans, who pick on the Argentinians, in a joking manner of course... but they all enjoy it and laugh about it... There's none of this "we must be sensitive" BS found elsewhere...

I later found out that she doesn't really profit much at the end of the year, but rather, she sustains her business to make sure her employees or rather "friends" have proper insurance coverage and make a good salary (since many of them have positions which some graduates could do for half less). She even hired someone who's husband was under going Chemo, just to make sure the person had proper coverage and didn't have Cobra, to deal with. Granted, it's very very rare anyone misses work, and productivity rivals any of her competitors hands down.

Employees definately spread the word around if they enjoy what they do...

Employee morale I agree is important...my mother owns her own business

Sincere kudos to your mother. She is an enlightened capitalist, one who understands that a business is much more than bottom-line maximized ROI, that a less-than maximum profitability may actually be better for everybody over the long-term. This is something that most of the Fortune 500 do not understand, as they fixate on beating quarterly expectations.

Sincere kudos to your mother. She is an enlightened capitalist, one who understands that a business is much more than bottom-line maximized ROI, that a less-than maximum profitability may actually be better for everybody over the long-term. This is something that most of the Fortune 500 do not understand, as they fixate on beating quarterly expectations.

I would disagree about the comment on the Fortune 500. Most of the companies on the Fortune 500 have been there for quite some time. Obviously they needed to know a little bit of something about successfully operating a business to get there.

Just pointing out that warm and fuzzy isn't a requirement for a business to be successful, in fact, it's often a hinderance.

It's how "warm and fuzzy" is defined.

Is it anything less than the absolute maximum return on investment to the shareholders?

Or does a company settle for less, so that the life of its employees and the society they live in is improved? Over the long term, is this actually more beneficial than trying to squeeze out every possible penny to beat those quarterly predictions? If so, then "warm and fuzzy" may not be a hindrance.

It's all about perspective. If you owned the Triangle Shirtwaist Company, bolting the fire escape doors made great sense, kept those lazy employees from catching a break in the fresh air, and maximized profit.

It's how "warm and fuzzy" is defined.

Is it anything less than the absolute maximum return on investment to the shareholders?

Or does a company settle for less, so that the life of its employees and the society they live in is improved? Over the long term, is this actually more beneficial than trying to squeeze out every possible penny to beat those quarterly predictions? If so, then "warm and fuzzy" may not be a hindrance.

It's all about perspective. If you owned the Triangle Shirtwaist Company, bolting the fire escape doors made great sense, kept those lazy employees from catching a break in the fresh air, and maximized profit.

Well, it's definitely a matter of perception. Most larger companies do a lot more for employees than the media will generally give them credit for. The company I work for has excellent benefits while still maintaining excellent profit margins. It's certainly a give-and-take. You can only push employees so far before they go elsewhere, leaving your company at a competitive disadvantage. The more successful companies realize this.

I would disagree about the comment on the Fortune 500. Most of the companies on the Fortune 500 have been there for quite some time. Obviously they needed to know a little bit of something about successfully operating a business to get there.

Of course, lack of ethics, morals, and subsidies and welfare sure do help them out..

For some of them. Few bad apples ruin the whole bunch, they say. For the most part, corporations have historically been very responsible.

Not even close, if you study their history, and look at their current practices it is anything but "responsible", it's not a few bad apples, it's a whole damn orchard.

Not even close, if you study their history, and look at their current practices it is anything but "responsible", it's not a few bad apples, it's a whole damn orchard.

Really? Have sources for this? It's not like every Fortune 500 company is under criminal investigation for cooking the books or wrongfully terminating employees.

Really? Have sources for this? It's not like every Fortune 500 company is under criminal investigation for cooking the books or wrongfully terminating employees.

Exactly. Big business isn't completely evil. Some companies....yeah, but certainly not all.

Edited by suv_guy_19

Yes, really, and just read about corporate crime and corruption by doing a google or yahoo search, I found this link in a few seconds >> http://www.corporatecrimereporter.com/

It's not every company, nor is every case about cooking the books or wrongfully terminating employees, I only wish that was the worst of it. It's about defense contractors robbing the taxpayers and committing horrible crimes, it's about pharmaceutical companies putting out deadly drugs which kill thousands of people to make the most profit and lying about it, it's about big oil backing death squads and paramilitaries, it's about giant food companies putting poisons into food all while getting subsidies for stupid crap like ethanol, the list is endless. Most people aren't aware of the level and the cost of corporate crime because they spends lots of money on pr and keep damaging stories out of the media, just look at how corrupted our government is by corporate special interests, instead of working for the people everything they do is for the corporations. It sucks but that's hot it is. Ever wonder why NAFTA got passed when it was horrible for everybody but large corporations seeking to profit off of cheap labor? Ever wonder why everything is made in communist China and we see more and more jobs going offshore every year? Just who do you think is bribing elected officials to make this stuff happen?

Edited by Blueblood

Exactlyn. Big business isn't completely evil. Some companies....yeah, but certainly ot all.

This line you repeat "Exactly. Big business isn't completely evil. Some companies....yeah, but certainly not all.", you don't even know which companies are crooked and why, it's as if you're ok with letting every bad company off the hook since they aren't all corrupt.

Why are you more concerned with protecting these companies than you are in seeing justice? Corporate corruption is out of control, the days of the robber barons are back.

Just blowing it off by saying "there are some bad apples, whatever", defies facts and ignores the effects they have on our lives, it's like you don't care.

This line you repeat "Exactly. Big business isn't completely evil. Some companies....yeah, but certainly not all.", you don't even know which companies are crooked and why, it's as if you're ok with letting every bad company off the hook since they aren't all corrupt.

Why are you more concerned with protecting these companies than you are in seeing justice? Corporate corruption is out of control, the days of the robber barons are back.

Just blowing it off by saying "there are some bad apples, whatever", defies facts and ignores the effects they have on our lives, it's like you don't care.

No, the bad apples should be punished. Because there are bad apples, it doesn't mean that they are all bad and should be painted with the same brush. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

No, the bad apples should be punished. Because there are bad apples, it doesn't mean that they are all bad and should be painted with the same brush. Innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

Exactly. I notice Blueblood specifically made mention of defense contractors. Being employed by one, I can say I absolutely LOVE my company. We are successful, profitable, and do plenty of good for the communities in which we operate.

the days of the robber barons are back.

If you haven't read it, get a copy of "Gould's Millions". It's the biography of Jay Gould, who organized a successful raid on the US Treasury, among other things. As an overview of the Robber Baron era, it's a marvellous read.