Grandma trades her Grand Marquis for a Mariner!

Watchdevil

I just thought it was interesting today that I seen a senior white haired lady driving a brand new ice blue Mariner. I was thinking to myself even Grandma don't want a Grand Marquis anymore!

even granny wants something a little more sporty then a geriactic grand marquis

How much money had Ford spent to "rebrand" Mercury, and yet their diminished sales are still to the same type of customers?

When I bought my last Grand Marquis in 2005, we test drove a new Mariner. It is a decent vehicle for those that don't know any better and are used to lesser vehicles, but it was a crate compared to even a three year old Grand Marquis.

No matter, Ford won't even sell you a Grand Marquis in 2009 unless you beg them to do so.

Edited by taxman100

even granny wants something a little more sporty then a geriactic grand marquis

Maybe granny might also like an ice blue Mustang convertible with parchment interior! Complete with parking assist and lane drift warning feautures... A new first for the industry is bi-focal windshield glass... Oh yeah and in place of the analog gauges, a giant digital MPH readout on one side and fuel gauge on the other... And Sync for the elderly... "Play Artist Lawrence Welk"... It also includes a friendly voice reminder to take medication....

Edited by Watchdevil

The funny thing is how a lot of people on here dont like the grand marqius, but if you go to my school alot of kids drive grand marquis,crown vics,town cars,buicks and caprices.

Used fullsize cars are cheap, that's why. High school kids generally aren't in the habit of buying the most luxurious and high demand big ticket items.

Maybe granny might also like an ice blue Mustang convertible with parchment interior! Complete with parking assist and lane drift warning feautures... A new first for the industry is bi-focal windshield glass... Oh yeah and in place of the analog gauges, a giant digital MPH readout on one side and fuel gauge on the other... And Sync for the elderly... "Play Artist Lawrence Welk"... It also includes a friendly voice reminder to take medication....

i think the 1984 chevy berlinetta camaro has all your basis covered..you might and should be able to find a used one cheap

I just thought it was interesting today that I seen a senior white haired lady driving a brand new ice blue Mariner. I was thinking to myself even Grandma don't want a Grand Marquis anymore!

come on man, this panther hatred around here is getting fucking old :banghead:

im sorry but it needs to stop

Used fullsize cars are cheap, that's why. High school kids generally aren't in the habit of buying the most luxurious and high demand big ticket items.

No, high school kids frequently get the old family car. Mom (or granny) gets a new car and junior gets the hand-me-down.

That's what happened to my brother, he got the 1968 Galaxie and mom got a new LTD. The LTD was too new to replace so I got a used 1971 Mustang Mach-1 at a steal of a price because of the late '70s economy and gas prices.

Only in this forum is the Grand Marquis relevant.

Most Grandmas still loyal to Ford will buy what eve is the cheapest and that usually means the Focus, Fusion, or a HEAVILY rebated panther.

The local beauty parlor, church parking lots etc are loaded with Panthers. When people get older they tend to appreciate a very smooth quiet ride in a vehicle that they are familiar with and has a long history of proven durablity. The very definition of the Grand Marquis. Case in point, my mom: current car Grand Marquis, previous cars from newest, one Crown Victoria, one LTD two Galaxies a couple of Plymouths in the fifties and a 1946 Ford. All of them V8 rear wheel drive durable American cars, the only trouble was the fifty something Plymouth with the push button automatic transmission causing the switch back to Ford. Wonder what the owner loyalty stats are for the Grand Marquis/Panther.

At least us old people have the money to write the checks that buy the cars. We don't just talk. And we tend to be loyal to good friendly courteous dealerships as much as vehicle brands. We know there is more to a car than the lastest fad wrote up in MT magazine. Comfort, reliabability, large trunks, ease of entry/exit, etc is a good thing in a vehicle, no matter the buyers age I would think. We also buy performance vehicles, but maybe don't use them as a main driver like many on here, and also don't necessarily prize them more than our comfort mobiles. I bought a loaded Mustang GT this year, and really enjoy driving it some to Mustang stuff, but don't necessarily like it better than one of my "geezer" mobiles.

I also think the GM and LTD are a tad out of date, but if you did away with our buying power, where would Ford be? Don't bury us yet. Ford needs us to buy some more old fashioned cars. Our business is better than no business. Maybe instead of running us away from the Mercury/Lincoln brand, Ford should figure out how to get some more "geezers" out of those Lexus and Infinities.

Edited by Ralph Greene

Wonder what the owner loyalty stats are for the Grand Marquis/Panther?

Not much if they are trading to a coffin!

Ask any police department.. They are the most loyal return buyers...

Either way old cars end up as cabs, donked out with 20"+ rims or in the hands of control freak sheriff impersonators...

Yes that is interesting. What I have found interesting is that ALL of the 1/2 dozen or so D3 Taurus'es I have seen all have had blue hairs behind the wheel. Way to make $5K on that D3 instead of $10k on that Panther Ford! :finger:

We only hate the panther because its boosters can produce a fact based argument that it is the best car in overall quality that Ford produces.

Fixed. :hysterical:

Not trying to sound overly harsh about the Mariner, as it is comparable to it's peers in the "lightweight lifestyle vehicle class". My parents had a 2002 Honda CRV, and it was a horrible crate of a vehicle as well. I used to drive them around in their Honda, and I couldn't believe the difference when I got back into my Grand Marquis.

As far as reliability goes, at least according the J.D. Powers, as a Grand Marquis ages, it's reliability scores increases until it is at the top of all vehicles by 4 years old. They are built to last, as Ford has ironed out the bugs. (Well, I know a DPFE sensor and the auto temp fan control sensor both goes around 75,000 miles, and front end rebuild will need done about every 100,000 miles)

Again, according to J.D. Powers, as a Mariner ages, it's reliability goes down. And, a front suspension rebuild won't be $150 in parts and 3 hours time like on the Panther.

The Mariner is comparable to it's peers, but it's peers isnt' anything I'd want to own either.