09 hybrid paint / interior colors

JCM

I'm about to order an 09 for my wife and the colors offered for the 09 hybrid limited 4wd are different from the non limited hybrid, which are different from the non hybrid, etc., etc. Then, they only offer the really ugly (cloth) Stone interior. I think the limited comes with leather seats though, but accordfing to any photos I have found on the net so far, it is very light in color, but not too unattractive. They have an absolutely beautiful charcoal interior color in some of the other models, but not in what I'm about to order. We wanted the tungsten gray with the charcoal interior which was absolutely gorgeous, but will have to settle for the black pearl slate paint with the stone (almost white ) leather interior. This sounds real contrasty to me. After all this, my question is, to someone who presently has the black pearl paint, how close to black is it? Does it have any hint of gray/tungsten tint in it? Does it actually have a pearlesence to it? Thanks. :reading:

I have seen the BPS in person and the color is gorgeous. It has a pearl grey/blue/black effect on it. I hate how the interior of the hybrid is only available with the stone since I am afraid will not survive snow and salt winters. I wish they would offer the black interior with the hybrid.

You'd be suprised at how well a light color does against snow, salt, and calcium cloride treatments compared to a dark fabric.

Imagine a white bleach stain on black, now picture that same stain on a light beige. It actually blends as best as can be expected.

Winter mats helps out alot also, I actually only use my fair weather mats about 6 months per year.

Asphalt staining is a different beast, would much rather have black or a gray tone.

Go with southern temperate's with concrete driveway and Stone, or any other color will look perfect.

Black Pearl Slate is a beautiful color. For some reason, it is available on the Escape Hybrid, but not the Mariner Hybrid. (Unless there's a misprint in the MMH order guide)

Your best bet is to go to a dealer and look for a vehicle with that color. For example, White Suede is a new color for 09 on the MMH, but the color is available on the Milan, and can be seen on a dealer lot.

I have to agree. I have ordered many new cars in my life, and my '07 MMH is the first time I had to pick the color I hated least.

I am not too sure why Ford restricts the hybrids from colors which are available on the non-hybrids. It is not like the colors are somehow incompatible with the hybrid technology. :D

Some how, Ford has come to the conclusion that hybrid buyers are all boring conservatives, and therefore actually want only boring and conservative colored vehicles. :shrug:

I'd understand it if the colors were unique to the hybrid. I've done more than a few doubletakes at Kiwi Green Escapes that weren't hybrids. It would seem to me that would be a good "hybrid only" color.

The color selection has definately been the worst part of the process. We're also in the "hate the least" category.

Same here. I've got the stone/leather interior on the '08 MMH and while I do like the leather, the dash is so light that it created distracting reflections on the windshield. It was the color I hated the least. I bought a custom dash cover in a dark grey that has thankfully eliminated the reflections.

When I look at the black pearl and depending on the lighting at the time, I see shades of green in it.

I agree with the advice of previous posts to go to the dealership and look at the color. I know that the Black Pearl color was available on the 08 Mariner. To see some of the new shades that have come out, I've been watching for the new vehicles to show up at the dealerships. This week the dealerships in my area have received some of the Ford Flex vehicles. This allowed me to see 2 of the new colors for the 09 Mariner (the Brilliant Silver and the Sterling Grey color) on a larger scale and in the different lighting to help me choose the color that I like best.

Black Pearl Slate is a beautiful color. For some reason, it is available on the Escape Hybrid, but not the Mariner Hybrid. (Unless there's a misprint in the MMH order guide)

Just ordered a Black Pearl Slate (BPS) FEH Limited, and picked the Escape over the Mariner just because of the BPS color. The color availability isn't a misprint, I had the dealer pull up the color list on the ordering screen and BPS isn't available on the Mariner.

As described here, BPS is a dark charcoal color, that in direct sunlight has a very slight green tint to it. It's available on 2008 Mariners and Escapes, so do an inventory search here and find one that you can look at in person.

Just ordered a Black Pearl Slate (BPS) FEH Limited, and picked the Escape over the Mariner just because of the BPS color. The color availability isn't a misprint, I had the dealer pull up the color list on the ordering screen and BPS isn't available on the Mariner.

Yea, the Mariner Ordering Guide lists Black Pearl Slate as available, but not on the hybrid.

Yea, the Mariner Ordering Guide lists Black Pearl Slate as available, but not on the hybrid.

This is one of many reasons that I chose to buy an Edge last year, instead of an Escape or Escape Hybrid.

I wanted a Vista Blue Hybrid, but ordering a moonroof kills the Vista Blue color (something that I still don't understand).

If I were Ford's webmaster, I'd track how many pop-up windows that users encounter while "building" cars on the site (such as the one I did, "your selection of the power moonroof requires the following change: Oxford White replaces Vista Blue", or something like that), then get those statistics assembled so that the marketing department can start analyzing what people are trying to order.

I gave up with all of the things I couldn't get on an Escape Hybrid, even when much of what I wanted was available on other Escape models (and had nothing to do with the drivetrain).

[shrug]

This is one of many reasons that I chose to buy an Edge last year, instead of an Escape or Escape Hybrid.

I wanted a Vista Blue Hybrid, but ordering a moonroof kills the Vista Blue color (something that I still don't understand).

If I were Ford's webmaster, I'd track how many pop-up windows that users encounter while "building" cars on the site (such as the one I did, "your selection of the power moonroof requires the following change: Oxford White replaces Vista Blue", or something like that), then get those statistics assembled so that the marketing department can start analyzing what people are trying to order.

I gave up with all of the things I couldn't get on an Escape Hybrid, even when much of what I wanted was available on other Escape models (and had nothing to do with the drivetrain).

[shrug]

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You can't order a color because you get a moon/sunroof? That's ridiculous, IMO.

I also can't understand the reasoning of not having every color available on the Hybrid models.

Edited by rmc523

that my friend is very true. the 09 mmh has fewer colors than it did in 08. i have a brilliant silver mmh on order, but am now thinking to changing to ford since the really light color dash is hideous. the feh at least has a darker gray tone to it. i am also thinking of ordering the bps since at least a dark exterior and a light interior look good.

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You can't order a color because you get a moon/sunroof? That's ridiculous, IMO.

I also can't understand the reasoning of not having every color available on the Hybrid models.

When the hybrids end up sitting on lots for months waiting for customers like they did a year or two ago, expect to see a lot of color options like the other Escapes and Mariners have. Since that isn't happening now, you can expect Ford to limit options to maximize profits. Right now if they offered just the monotone color varieties of black, white, and gray/silver in hybrids they would still have no problem selling.

I'm about to order an 09 for my wife and the colors offered for the 09 hybrid limited 4wd are different from the non limited hybrid, which are different from the non hybrid, etc., etc. Then, they only offer the really ugly (cloth) Stone interior. I think the limited comes with leather seats though, but accordfing to any photos I have found on the net so far, it is very light in color, but not too unattractive. They have an absolutely beautiful charcoal interior color in some of the other models, but not in what I'm about to order. We wanted the tungsten gray with the charcoal interior which was absolutely gorgeous, but will have to settle for the black pearl slate paint with the stone (almost white ) leather interior. This sounds real contrasty to me. After all this, my question is, to someone who presently has the black pearl paint, how close to black is it? Does it have any hint of gray/tungsten tint in it? Does it actually have a pearlesence to it? Thanks. :reading:

email me directly and I can send you a PDF with all the specifications for the 2009 Escape (gasoline models, hybrid models). It doen't have prices, but you'll walk into any dealer knowing more than some of the sales people you encounter. You'll know the difference between U49/350A vs. U59/750A. You'll know which colors are new for 2009 and which 2008 colors were discontinued. You'll know EXACTLY what the dfferences are between a FEH vs. FEHL.

email me directly and I can send you a PDF with all the specifications for the 2009 Escape (gasoline models, hybrid models). It doen't have prices, but you'll walk into any dealer knowing more than some of the sales people you encounter. You'll know the difference between U49/350A vs. U59/750A. You'll know which colors are new for 2009 and which 2008 colors were discontinued. You'll know EXACTLY what the dfferences are between a FEH vs. FEHL.

Really the FEHL only has 2 options. Nav and Side Step Bars. Get the Fast Turn Option 8 option and you only have to add the side step bars. Colors are Light Ice Blue, Kiwi Green, Black Pearl Slate, Black, Brilliant Silver and White Suede.

Limited adds body colored mirrors, moonroof, leather package, convenience package and some piano gloss blank appliques on the console and arm rests. I didn't price out the exact difference in cost, but I wanted all those options so I went with the FEHL. I was also able to look at the Limited (non Hybrid) at a local dealer, since Limited were available in 2008. All the colors noted above were also available last year if you want to see them in person. Just go to Ford Direct, enter your zip code into the Seach Inventory box, click on "Search Dealer Lot" and change dealers in the upper drop down until you find one where you can select the Escape Limited. This should help you find a dealer that has a Limited or a color you want to see in person.

Order guide is here in the forum. Not sure if that's what Fmorriso has, but you can certainly look at it now.

Good luck. Ordered mine June 6, still no word.

Edited by jgATL

White Suede exterior is a new color for the Escape Hybrid Limited, which I ordered. On a hunch, I walked around the dealer lot and found some Exhibitions with stickers that said White Suede exterior, so I at least know what it will look like. Maybe Ford has an over supply of WS and just needs to find a way to use it up?

As for moon roof limiting choice of color, I know it was true for the 2008 models, but I don't recall if it again limits choice of exterior color for model year 2009. :shades: