OAC News

otp

The last that I heard yesterday, was that the elections committee wasn't going to do the count until today! Where did you here the 63% in favour thing? I hope you're right though!

Results were 78% in favour from the report I got from my union rep this morning.

Results were 78% in favour from the report I got from my union rep this morning.

That's a good thing!!! My question is why did Ford have to rush this meeting and vote and they had to know by Wednesday (today) it sounds to me that something is well in the works they were just waiting for the okay from the c.a.w.( and don't mean in 18 months I think a alot sooner).

The last that I heard yesterday, was that the elections committee wasn't going to do the count until today! Where did you here the 63% in favour thing? I hope you're right though!

Heard it from the union steward on the midnight shift

That adds up to 131%...thats even better than perfect...I had heard that people were worried that the National could perhaps skew the numbers but with our election man on the job, I'm sure the numbers are acccurate to within and couple hundred, Well regardless of how you or I voted, lets hope that we all keep working and nobody ends up collecting E.I. and SUB as we need the sub money to build the new hall....I heard the architect added a new dance floor with a disco ball for when we have to ratify again...Just what I heard from a production steward who shall go un-named. Good luck everyone and I hope we crank production up to 8,000,000 annually. :happy feet:

Edited by Colin 707

That adds up to 131%...thats even better than perfect...I had heard that people were worried that the National could perhaps skew the numbers but with our election man on the job, I'm sure the numbers are acccurate to within and couple hundred, Well regardless of how you or I voted, lets hope that we all keep working and nobody ends up collecting E.I. and SUB as we need the sub money to build the new hall....I heard the architect added a new dance floor with a disco ball for when we have to ratify again...Just what I heard from a production steward who shall go un-named. Good luck everyone and I hope we crank production up to 8,000,000 annually. :happy feet:

trades vote is separate from prod.

trades vote is separate from prod.

He knows that...he's afunnin wid ya :P

Lucky for all of us that you got an apprenticeship instead of becoming a mathematician...did you look in your tool box?

Edited by charly

News Travels fast in thes parts.. From the STAR 13 hours ago.

"

Ford deal may mean more work

Oakville union pact on weekend work

Would add jobs if demand increases

Mar. 22, 2006. 08:59 AM

TONY VAN ALPHEN

BUSINESS REPORTER

Ford Motor Co. of Canada Ltd. and its union have negotiated changes to work schedules at the company's new assembly plant in Oakville if the auto maker needs extra output to meet demand in future years.

Union officials said Ford has told them that if the company needs to implement a new work schedule to build more vehicles, it could create 600 to 800 new jobs. Ford's current workforce in Oakville is about 3,800.

Bob Chernecki, a senior CAW official, said more jobs are possible but cautioned that it could only occur if the plant's new models become extremely popular in the marketplace.

Canadian Auto Workers Local 707 will release results of a membership vote today on a tentative deal that would reconfigure shift lengths and times and add a special crew for weekend production at Ford's flexible manufacturing plant.

Ford officials would not comment on a possible new work schedule or impact on future employment until the result of the vote is released.

The changes would take effect if Ford wants to raise annual output from 335,000 to a maximum 364,000 vehicles.

Under the changes, Ford would operate four 10-hour day shifts from Monday through Thursday for production workers; five 10-hour afternoon shifts from Monday through Friday and a third weekend shift of 10.7 hours on Friday and Saturday during the day and Sunday afternoon for production workers. The weekday shifts would rotate.

The current agreement that remains intact contemplates three 7.5-hour shifts daily that could build up to 335,000 vehicles.

The struggling auto giant is trying to maximize future output at plants that it will keep open after completion of a massive restructuring in North America during the next five years. It plans to close seven assembly plants.

Ford, which will be able to build several models in Oakville, says it will start assembling the Ford Edge and Lincoln MKX cross-over sport-utility vehicles at the $1 billion plant in the fourth quarter of this year.

The company will add hybrid gas-electric versions before 2010.

Industry sources indicated earlier this year that Ford also plans to build the Fairlane "people mover" to replace the Ford Freestar and Mercury Monterey minivans at the plant in 2008.

The Freestar and Monterey minivans have experienced poor sales since the introduction of the latest generation models in 2003. That has forced Ford to slash production by half at the minivan plant in Oakville. It has cost the company millions of of dollars.

But there are also rumblings Ford may give the minivans a facelift and continue production for at least a few more years. Ford won't comment on reports about potential sites for models.

"

In fact I did look in my tool box and I do appreciate it Mr Charly, What do you mean 131% is not accurate I even figured in the Coefficient of thermal expansion and I still came up with the same result? :blink: what gives? :shrug: Ya that reporter at the The Star must have an inside track to info to get that...

In fact I did look in my tool box and I do appreciate it Mr Charly, What do you mean 131% is not accurate I even figured in the Coefficient of thermal expansion and I still came up with the same result? :blink: what gives? :shrug: Ya that reporter at the The Star must have an inside track to info to get that...

Just what he reads here :)

Since I'm a layed off Windsor employee, I am wondering if there are new jobs on the horizon. Obviously there will be a fight between STAPpers and us if any jobs are available. From what I read about your new agreement, it seems that any "overtime", or extra manpower will be covered by TPT's that are apparently available all week long. Any insight on that would be appreciated. From my experience here in Windsor, the company would love to use TPT's to cover SPA/EAA replacements, it seems that your new agreement gives Oakville that opportunity.

Since I'm a layed off Windsor employee, I am wondering if there are new jobs on the horizon. Obviously there will be a fight between STAPpers and us if any jobs are available. From what I read about your new agreement, it seems that any "overtime", or extra manpower will be covered by TPT's that are apparently available all week long. Any insight on that would be appreciated. From my experience here in Windsor, the company would love to use TPT's to cover SPA/EAA replacements, it seems that your new agreement gives Oakville that opportunity.

The guys that work the weekend shift (Fri-Sun) will be canvassed first for any man power shortage for the weekday shifts. If there is a need for manpower on the weekend shift, then the TPT workers will be used. That is how I interpreted what was said at the meeting this past Tuesday.

And also said at the meeting that tpt's will only be used to cover days requested off before then end od the tuesday shift, THEY will not be used for awols or spa's etc.

I was wondering if the laidoff people would get regular jobs back or would they be made TPT'S. can anyone ansewr my question.

I was wondering if the laidoff people would get regular jobs back or would they be made TPT'S. can anyone answer my question.

From your agreement, I am looking at page 4, #30 under "Other". "To accomodate time-off requests, and cover absentee employees, Friday to Monday production may be supplemented by TPT employee prior to canvassing regular full time employees." This seems to cover EAA time to me. SPA replacement should still be covered by full timers, but the door seems to be opened for VAC/EAA. It seems like the manpower will be cut pretty close. From my experience (and I don't pretend to know what OAC is all about), it seems that your layed off guys are going to be waiting, while TPT's come in for summer replacement etc.

I harp on this because us at Windsor are probably going to be voting on a similar agreement sooner or later, and I would like to know how it works for you.