OAC News

otp

Am I missing something ?

Yes.

The workers at the Powerhouse are CEP Union workers.

The Powerhouse still makes the compressed air for the plant, the compressors are run off of a few big synchronous motors there. There's a lot of tools and tooling that run off compressed air.

They strike, we shut down.

I think Belinda stronach could be somewhat supportive of the Canadian Auto Workers in Canada’s Government.

Auto Jobs have created her wealth and I think she would like to see the industry thrive at home and abroad.

Magna International has invested into our communities; this has brought some level of wealth to the corroboration, community and workers.

This builds a social structure that all are happy living within.

I post a link about Magna helping communities after Hurricane Katrina. It may be self-serving for Magna but it is changing the lives for those in need.

link

The Company rightly resists the Union, all companies will.

The workers finally Unionize they bargain with the company and all is well in MagnaVille.

link

just a thought...

the liberals where more likely to be in a position to help the Auto Industry

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

She is a kept princess and all her Daddy did was make people work harder for less money. :read:

Way back Frank was on the ropes but guess who came to his rescue? Ford, Chrysler, and GM, they guaranteed him contracts if he guaranteed to never allow unions in his shops. Why did they do that? because the then big 3 saw what was coming and made provisions for outsourcing, helping Magna was one of their biggest successes.

Magna actually is mostly not even a manufacturing company anymore, they are more of a management team and a bank for Lear, Intier, Dacoma etc.

Time to wake up.

Yes.

The workers at the Powerhouse are CEP Union workers.

The Powerhouse still makes the compressed air for the plant, the compressors are run off of a few big synchronous motors there. There's a lot of tools and tooling that run off compressed air.

They strike, we shut down.

Thank You

Press Release from Zoran Grgar National Rep with the Communicatons, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada

Ford powerhouse closure condemned by CEP

OAKVILLE, April 3 /CNW Telbec/ - Ford's announced closure of the power

house at its assembly plant here is "irresponsible and premature" says the

union which represents the workers at the site.

Zoran Grgar, national representative with the 150,000 member

Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada, called on Ford to

postpone any decision pending announcement of the provincial government's long

awaited energy co-producer package for the electrical power generation

industry.

"One of their stated reasons for shutting the Oakville powerhouse was

energy savings. Now we find out that the general public is expected to

subsidize the excessively low electricity costs enjoyed by Ford, secured

through low-priced, long term contracts," Mr. Grgar said in a statement.

"The people of Oakville and Ontario should not be paying Ford's

electricity bills. We think Ford needs to invest in a co-generation plant and

we know that the provincial government has plans to assist in that

development.

"It just makes sense for Ford to postpone its decision to close the power

house and to work with us on the co-generation option. It makes sense for the

workers, for the community and for Ontario as a whole," Mr. Grgar added.

The planned closure would affect approximately one third of the CEP

members at the plant and Mr. Grgar is attempting to open talks with Ford to

save the jobs. CEP members have taken a strong stance in negotiations with the

company, having voted overwhelmingly to take strike action if necessary to

prevent jobs losses and contracting out of work.

A strike by workers at the power plant and treatment services would

disrupt the entire Oakville assembly operation, Mr. Grgar said.

For further information: Zoran Grgar, (905) 678-0800, ext. 225

press release

Edited by outhere_i_m

If both a teacher and auto worker work 20 years, a teacher will make about $110k more. Considering all the down turns in the auto market, layoffs (2 weeks on/ off = sub pay), the results are even more dramtatic.

Time Off - A teacher has 12 weeks off per year since day 1 ( 10 weeks summer, 1 week christmas, 1 week spring break). Can't put a price on that.

Here are the recent negotiated salary rates which are due for a raise. By year 5 a teacher makes almost 60k, by year 10 - 84k. A typical teacher works a total of 45 hours per week of which only 20 is actual teaching in class. The other 25 is easy work which is usually done at home as preperation. You cannot compare these two jobs as they are very different. 1 hour of assembly line work does not equal 1 hour of working at home reading a student's assignment.

47,232 year 1

84,093 year 10

A first year teacher would make 43000 if they have the right education. And the less education you have the less you make, the bottom of the grid for first year is 33000(as of last year). Not to mention our pension is on top of our pay, and their pension is taken off of their check. When I go home, I don't think about work at all, when my wife goes home she is doing stuff all night for the next day. On top of this she is constantly upgrading her education by taking evening and summer course, that comes out of her pocket. And one day I hope we pay off her school loans! You must be talking about a high school.

Why are salaries between apples and oranges being compared on an OAC News Forum? However, since it's been brought up.......comparing a salary of an auto worker to the salary of a teacher makes no sense. Although there are many auto workers with either a post-secondary education (college or university), it is not a pre-requisite for the job. However, a university education is for teacher.

The majority of teachers have a four year degree, plus the one year to earn their Bachelor of Education. However, some teachers graduate with only a three year degree. This level of education, plus further additional qualifications they continue to take (at the university level and at their own expense) determines their placement in a salary category grid. That being said, a first year teacher’s starting salary can range from $36,294 to $46,941 (2006). It isn’t until a teacher has completed 10 full years of teaching and is in the highest category grid (which again, is achieved by completing additional qualification courses at their own expense) that they would have a salary of $84,088 (which, by the way, is in the year 2008 of a progressive board’s current contract). Now, if you are talking secondary teachers, that is a different story with respect to salary because they do make more money than the elementary teachers.

The instructional day of a teacher is 300 minutes (5 hours) which is 25 hours per week. On top of only teaching for 25 hours, teachers do have what you call "easy work" to do. Easy work involves an unlimited number of time spent dealing with other issues such as bullying, racism, after school remedial, running extra-curricular activities, staff meetings, team meetings, and committee meetings, calling parents, and the list can and does go on. Three times a year teachers are required to do the even easier work of writing report cards which can not be done during "teaching time". Therefore, report cards are done during planning time or at home (on their own computers). Don’t forget, this easy work is done along side planning lessons and marking.

That makes only one point you mentioned actually right ……the time teachers do have off (by the way it’s two weeks at Christmas) …..you can’t put a price on that!

One interesting tidbit auto workers might not realize is that the majority of teachers work without a contract until their locals negotiate with their board. Without naming any locals, most boards have not had any legal or illegal strike in over 10 years. However, when contracts are being negotiated and locals and boards butt heads, teachers are always made out to be the villains who want to harm every child’s education. Teachers and the teachers’ unions have come along way in past 30+ years. Many teachers in the 70’s walked the picket lines and stood strong to get what is in their contracts today. Teacher’s continue to stand in solidarity today.

You said it better than me, your wife must be a teacher

Edited by OTP@OAC

OK. Now explain to me what an illegal handgun has to do with gun control? Registering the hunters and farmers guns?

I have a better idea. Most of the shooting problems are drug related. What we will do is have drug registration. After the drug dealers register their drugs we will arrest them.

I don't recall mentioning anything about the registry. And i think "illegal handguns" has everything to do with gun control, hence the term "gun control: to control who has access to a gun". Although the registry is a government cash grab, and doesn't do anything to remedy the problem of illegal hand guns, it's intentions are just.

By the way, your sarcasim is so un becoming of you!

I don't recall mentioning anything about the registry. And i think "illegal handguns" has everything to do with gun control, hence the term "gun control: to control who has access to a gun". Although the registry is a government cash grab, and doesn't do anything to remedy the problem of illegal hand guns, it's intentions are just.

By the way, your sarcasim is so un becoming of you!

In rural communities, years ago, virtually everyone owned at least one gun. I am talking about rifles and shotguns, not handguns. Nobody got shot. They were taught gun safety before they could walk. You can make a gun out of a piece of pipe, a nail, a piece of wood, and a rubber band. Controlling guns will not stop gun crime. It has only created more crime, because we now have a gun-running industry. Guns are a fact of life. They are not going to go away. We have to learn to live with them. Criminals are another matter. Liberals for some reason, do not want to go after them. That is why they are blaming crime on guns, not criminals. What is even more mindboggling, is that a lot of people are swallowing it. :shrug:

Edited by Trimdingman

I think you should check your facts on this one. I have never seen a steam opperated torque gun, most of the older models were air operated and were dificult to control for speed and torque causing ergo problems with hands, arms , and shoulders. Steam amy have been used in plant for something but not in hand tools.

These are not my facts. This was just an article in the news.

Now how can you tell many ,many are really pathetic. Really how many teachers have you came across in your life to come to that conclusion.And for being useless and uncaring, you must have flunked alot of things in school to have so much anger against teachers.And why are we bashing the teachers in this forum I thought we were talking about the auto industry.Lets get on the right page people............ :happy feet

He didn't say many,many teachers are really pathetic. He said many teachers are really, really pathetic. Read it again because it sounds like you flunked a lot of english subjects, or the teachers just let you pass because they didn't know how to deal with your learning malfunctioins.

Why would anyone hold all teachers up to such high regards.

Most are great, but some are not great, and some are downright useless.

Let's get over this discussion.

Anyone know when we're getting our bonus? :shrug:

Am I hearing this right. Ford Oakville employees might strike for 8 workers in the steam plant where ever that is. I've never heard of it. What about the 350 that are out now.Does this make sence to anyone. Am I missing something ?

Yes, you are missing something.

Edited by OTPisdead

Anyone know how to go about getting back the ei clawback. I'm off this week so dont have a rep at my disposal.

Do your taxes, wait for your notice of assessment from the government. Take the notice along with your T4 slip to labour relations. I think that's all you need to get your paperwork processed.

Let's get over this discussion.

Anyone know when we're getting our bonus? :shrug:

Yes, you are missing something.

Supposed to be allocated in PP 17 and paid out PP 18...that was the last official word....of course that was a month ago :)

On a different topic......... have you guys heard anything about OAC hiring in the future? if so how many and when would it happen? Also, would laid - off workers from other Ontario Ford plants have first dibs at these jobs?

We are going thru layoffs right now, but if and when we start hiring then "preferential hiring" would be utilized.

:shrug: Had a look at the new Mazda CX-9. "New 3.5litre V-6, 6 speed auto trans, up to 7 passenger seating".....Sound familiar? Looks a heck of a lot like the Edge. Any chance of us building it here in Oakville? I did kind of notice a lot of Asian looking engineers walking around this week??? Are they from Mazda?

Lots of questions. :happy feet: post-14079-1144280753_thumb.jpg

I understand that you are laying off now..is this to retool for the new models? and its my understanding to produce as much of these vehicles as ford expects you guys will need to hire. I was just wondering what was being said around the OAC facility.

I believe that there will be 1100 laid off in Windsor, and 1200 laid off in St. Thomas. We have maybe 500 laid off in Oakville. If all goes well, we should be adding up to 1500 in Oakville by 2008. That leaves 1300 still on lay-off. Some may refuse to come to come to Oakville. If 1300 people, minus the number who do not transfer, take the buy-out package, then they would be hiring. I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by Trimdingman

:shrug: Had a look at the new Mazda CX-9. "New 3.5litre V-6, 6 speed auto trans, up to 7 passenger seating".....Sound familiar? Looks a heck of a lot like the Edge. Any chance of us building it here in Oakville? I did kind of notice a lot of Asian looking engineers walking around this week??? Are they from Mazda?

Lots of questions. :happy feet: post-14079-1144280753_thumb.jpg

I read that it will be built in Japan with the CX-7. The CX-9 will also be available with a turbo.