OAC News

otp

If someone parks their car in my driveway, and I don't want them there, and they refuse to move, I can have them towed away. It is the same with Ford. They have the right to have any car that they do not want on their property removed.

Your logic is wrong on this one. Ford has issued everyone a security card with their picture on it. So Ford wants everyone who obtains said card to be on the property, (in fact, they will call you at home in order to get your ass in there, if you don't show up). And since transporter machines have yet to be invented (to my knowledge), Ford would expect you to drive there in a vehicle. Hence, they want you and your vehicle on their property.

The non-Ford parking is still on Ford private property, so it's not like they are saying it is illegal to park on our private property. And the only LEGAL parking segregation is for disabled parking. Hence Ford has no LEGAL right to have anybodies car ticketed. They can put stickers & notices on your windshield if they want, but can not make you pay a fine, to my knowledge.

Ford property is private and they can have any person or vehicle removed from said property. tow all the illegal parked cars to the towing compound.

ever since I started at Ford I couldn't understand why Ford employees would drive anything else. Many union brothers and sisters have been saying over the years that these non-Fords should have to park somewhere else. It's about time!

The Ford parking lot is NOT private. According to Ford, the parking lot is not fenced in or gated so it's no different from a mall parking lot. See what happens if your car is broken into or if you have an accident, or any damage is done to your car in the lot, it's hands off by Ford.

The Ford parking lot is NOT private. According to Ford, the parking lot is not fenced in or gated so it's no different from a mall parking lot. See what happens if your car is broken into or if you have an accident, or any damage is done to your car in the lot, it's hands off by Ford.

Ford's ownership of the property has nothing to do with its culpability in damage to your personal property.

For the same reason that were you to slip in an icy parking lot you could sue them, and for the same reason Ford performs snow removal and line painting duties.

Ford owns the property 100%.

Malls own their parking lots 100% as well, but they post disclaimer signs of "park at your own risk" to avoid being sued if someone breaks into your car.

I could do the exact same with my driveway.

By the way, from what I uderstand, Ford blocks off The Canadian Way once a year to keep the road private. That's why no cops ever sit at the admin building and bust everyone that rolls the stop sign everyone ignores. Ford even owns the road.

Ford's ownership of the property has nothing to do with its culpability in damage to your personal property.

For the same reason that were you to slip in an icy parking lot you could sue them, and for the same reason Ford performs snow removal and line painting duties.

Ford owns the property 100%.

Malls own their parking lots 100% as well, but they post disclaimer signs of "park at your own risk" to avoid being sued if someone breaks into your car.

I could do the exact same with my driveway.

By the way, from what I uderstand, Ford blocks off The Canadian Way once a year to keep the road private. That's why no cops ever sit at the admin building and bust everyone that rolls the stop sign everyone ignores. Ford even owns the road.

They own all of it and they can tell you where to park, but I'm sure towing isn't cheap.

I got it Ford, get a brother to tow in a FORD. I'LL DO IT BOSS I'LL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil: :bowdown: :rip: :devil2: :ohsnap:

Edited by foxrun

Now once again I must ask the obvious question...Would Ford in it's ultimate wisdom ask the towing company which products they use for towing and if they used GM or Chrysler would they still be permitted to come onto Ford property and tow...Hmmmmm :headscratch: I actually saw two GMC's that are being used by State Contractors at their compound.....It was mentioned to the steward and I hope he called Franky Boy and straightened that out....Rules should be enforced by all especially those doing our work... :soapbox:

Your logic is wrong on this one. Ford has issued everyone a security card with their picture on it. So Ford wants everyone who obtains said card to be on the property, (in fact, they will call you at home in order to get your ass in there, if you don't show up). And since transporter machines have yet to be invented (to my knowledge), Ford would expect you to drive there in a vehicle. Hence, they want you and your vehicle on their property.

The non-Ford parking is still on Ford private property, so it's not like they are saying it is illegal to park on our private property. And the only LEGAL parking segregation is for disabled parking. Hence Ford has no LEGAL right to have anybodies car ticketed. They can put stickers & notices on your windshield if they want, but can not make you pay a fine, to my knowledge.

I didn't say anything about making anyone pay a fine. Ford has the right to say who parks on their property. Obviously, they want their employees to park there. If they do not like to have a non-Ford vehicle parked in an area designated for Ford only vehicles (handicapped parking excepted), then they have the right to have the city tow the car away at the owner's expense. I have the right to make my own rules as to who I allow on my own property. So does Ford as long as they don't discriminate based on human rights. For instance, they would not be allowed to force blacks, or women, or Muslims to park at the back. Or would they? :shrug:

Edited by Trimdingman

I didn't say anything about making anyone pay a fine. Ford has the right to say who parks on their property. Obviously, they want their employees to park there. If they do not like to have a non-Ford vehicle parked in an area designated for Ford only vehicles (handicapped parking excepted), then they have the right to have the city tow the car away at the owner's expense. I have the right to make my own rules as to who I allow on my own property. So does Ford as long as they don't discriminate based on human rights. For instance, they would not be allowed to force blacks, or women, or Muslims to park at the back. Or would they? :shrug:

You are completely wrong. You can not invite me to your property, ask me to stay for 8 hours, and legally tow my vehicle while I am inside. A complete contradiction in terms.

And as far as your list of "minority groups" goes, You seem to think you are better than everyone else because you are a "white male, who drives a Ford". Why do these people automatically hit your segregation list? It is ignorance such as yours that creates hatred amongst the masses!

You are completely wrong. You can not invite me to your property, ask me to stay for 8 hours, and legally tow my vehicle while I am inside. A complete contradiction in terms.

And as far as your list of "minority groups" goes, You seem to think you are better than everyone else because you are a "white male, who drives a Ford". Why do these people automatically hit your segregation list? It is ignorance such as yours that creates hatred amongst the masses!

Don't try and turn this discussion into something it isn't. All I am saying is where do you draw the line for a property owner's rights? In some companies, each person's name is on his parking spot. Usually the better spot goes to the person with the higher position. Is there any law which limits the criteria a company can use to allocate parking spots? Of course Ford would never be bigotted, but if they wanted to, would it be against the law? If you can discriminate against someone based on the make of his or her vehicle, could you do it based on their gender, nationality, height, weight, style of clothing they wear?

I do not have an axe to grind on this, as I drive a Ford. I am just curious. If you read this, take a moment to think about it before you go to tan (pi over two).

Edited by Trimdingman

Don't try and turn this discussion into something it isn't. All I am saying is where do you draw the line for a property owner's rights? In some companies, each person's name is on his parking spot. Usually the better spot goes to the person with the higher position. Is there any law which limits the criteria a company can use to allocate parking spots? Of course Ford would never be bigotted, but if they wanted to, would it be against the law? If you can discriminate against someone based on the make of his or her vehicle, could you do it based on their gender, nationality, height, weight, style of clothing they wear?

I do not have an axe to grind on this, as I drive a Ford. I am just curious. If you read this, take a moment to think about it before you go to tan (pi over two).

Those spots with the names on them are not illegal to park in. You may get fired from your job because office jobs are generally not unionized, but you can not be charged under the law.

You also answered your own question. You cannot, under the LAW, discriminate against someone based on the make of their vehicle, just like you can't discriminate based on the other reasons you stated.

Smoke and mirrors...while we are "arguing" over who parks where, Ford is eliminating our jobs...sort of a moot point.

It seems that you think you are above me, since you are not going to bring yourself down to my level and discuss the parking issue.

Our jobs are being eliminated. The bargaining committee endorsed it, and the membership ratified it. Since you are the "all knowing", what would you suggest we do to save our jobs?

The parking issue is an extension of the concessions we've already made, but it is something we, as a membership can stand up and say "NO" to. We can't do that with the "FLEX" agreement, or the supplemental we endorsed after that. It may be a small issue, but it is still an issue worth fighting.

This whole parking thing is interesting but has anyone noticed that there is no divided parking at the central office building!!! These are ford employees that don't get laid off and make more money than us and still drive foreign cars to work!!! I can see them having a visitors section that is exempt but come on. What is good for the goose... On Thursday I did drive through their parking lot.

Those spots with the names on them are not illegal to park in. You may get fired from your job because office jobs are generally not unionized, but you can not be charged under the law.

You also answered your own question. You cannot, under the LAW, discriminate against someone based on the make of their vehicle, just like you can't discriminate based on the other reasons you stated.

So you are saying that what Ford is doing is illegal? If not, then how far would they be allowed to go? Where is the line? Could they make us park in alphabetical order? Non-Christians at the rear?

Edited by Trimdingman

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...geRequested=all

Read the first part about what they did in Alliston, could or would that ever happen in Oakville?

I honestly would like to know from a skill trades guy.

It would be very time consuming for the skilled trades to repair a die from the body stamping

plant at Oakville. First they would need to build a stamping plant. :hysterical:

It would be very time consuming for the skilled trades to repair a die from the body stamping

plant at Oakville. First they would need to build a stamping plant. :hysterical:

Not much of a flex plant complex EH!!!!!!!!!!! :finger:

Edited by foxrun

Evading the topic?

If they want a stamping plant, A.G. Simpson just closed one about three miles west.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...geRequested=all

Read the first part about what they did in Alliston, could or would that ever happen in Oakville?

I honestly would like to know from a skill trades guy.

If you mean, "Can OAC trades perform the work in-house to keep our plant running?"

Then the answer is "of course we can".

Believe it or not, we have tradesmen here that have worked in the aviation industry, Stelco, GE, Westinghouse; from Alberta oilfields to English Jaguar plants to Chinese power utilities.

We have the experience, some even have the ambition.

We are only shackled by the company policy of "no parts, no tools, no responsibility". Nobody in management wants to take the chance of making a wrong decision (and sometimes I can't blame them).

A perfect example is a while back, when there was a fire in a robot cell, two electricians put it out with fire extinguishers. What was the company reaction? They wanted to write the electricians up for (IIRC) not using proper lockout procedures. :doh:

Sometimes the company is its own worst enemy...

If you mean, "Can OAC trades perform the work in-house to keep our plant running?"

Then the answer is "of course we can".

Believe it or not, we have tradesmen here that have worked in the aviation industry, Stelco, GE, Westinghouse; from Alberta oilfields to English Jaguar plants to Chinese power utilities.

We have the experience, some even have the ambition.

We are only shackled by the company policy of "no parts, no tools, no responsibility". Nobody in management wants to take the chance of making a wrong decision (and sometimes I can't blame them).

A perfect example is a while back, when there was a fire in a robot cell, two electricians put it out with fire extinguishers. What was the company reaction? They wanted to write the electricians up for (IIRC) not using proper lockout procedures. :doh:

Sometimes the company is its own worst enemy...

Cool, Thanx.

It seems that you think you are above me, since you are not going to bring yourself down to my level and discuss the parking issue.

Huh?

When have I indicated that?

I just think parking is the very least of our problems..

Huh?

When have I indicated that?

I just think parking is the very least of our problems..

Sorry!, your post seemed to me to have an aura of superiority to it.

Parking may be a small issue compared to the other shit which is going on, I agree. But it is something in which we can stand our ground, and say "no, you can't do this to us". Show some balls for once. Ford may own the factory, products, and profits. But we own the jobs. We need to remind them of this!