OAC News

otp

Can someone post your December Oakville newsletter as it hasn't been posted on your website and the last three President report links do not work. People at St. Thomas and Windsor are very interested in what is going on. Does Mc Coleman have a chance in being reelected this year?

Two spelling errors: should be "re-elected". One is the hyphen, and the other is the quotation marks. Nobody gets re-elected any more. They just get back in.

Thanks for the spelling and grammar lesson. Can someone answer my previous post. Thank-you.

Not quite what you are looking for but some info fyi Windsor.We at Stap have to express our interest or not in transfers to Oakville,Bramalea or Edmonton by the end of January and then that number will be offered buyouts at those locations.Not sure what your senority is but maybe this affects you somehow.

trim, you are a sarcastic POS that will get what he deserves one day. No you didn't answer my previous post. Thanks for the info guyfrom stap.

People at Oakville know what I am talking about. You were asking about elections. I answered your question.

As far as transfers, the near future looks grim. If they put in a new platform, that is years away. As I said, there are a lot of people with 27-28 years seniority. When they reach whatever it is to get a bridge to retirement eligibility, there could be some hiring. Personally, I can't see retiring into this economic environment, but others see it differently. In my opion, we are looking at 1980s style inflation as a best case scenario. This would put pensions below the poverty line in a few years. At age 65, someone who continues working will recieve his paycheck plus two government pensions; no more CPP deductions, plus a personal exemption increase. The union says that he is working for nothing. Who is telling the truth? On average a 65 year old worker working a few hours overtime, would start off with about $850 per week, clear after deductions, more than the retiree. He could lease a car for $150 a week, leaving him $700 ahead. After tax, plus paying off the car given as a retirement incentive, the retiree would have maybe $20,000 plus a car. At $700 a week, the 65 year old worker would make up for that $20,000 in 7 months.

Edited by Trimdingman

On average a 65 year old worker working a few hours overtime, would start off with about $850 per week, clear after deductions, more than the retiree.

Or he could die, his wife get a boob job and keep a young boy-toy and spend all that money on trips to the Bahamas.

Because you can't take it with you ... :hysterical:

Or he could die, his wife get a boob job and keep a young boy-toy and spend all that money on trips to the Bahamas.

Because you can't take it with you ... :hysterical:

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. We are all going to die. I would rather live my remaining years in prosperity. Work keeps the body in shape, and prolongs life. So far, even with working for a living, life has been good. Why not continue with a good thing? I take three vacations a year. That is better than scavaging free coffees at Fortinos and 99 cent breakfasts at Zellers; driving a 10 year old rattle-trap, and living in somebody's basement, or a crime-ridden trailer park.

Edited by Trimdingman

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. We are all going to die. I would rather live my remaining years in prosperity. Work keeps the body in shape, and prolongs life. So far, even with working for a living, life has been good. Why not continue with a good thing? I take three vacations a year. That is better than scavaging free coffees at Fortinos and 99 cent breakfasts at Zellers; driving a 10 year old rattle-trap, and living in somebody's basement, or a crime-ridden trailer park.

Just go away. Nobody cares.

OAC will be getting a new vehicle, check it out here.....it's Called the Vertrek Concept. It looks a lot like the Edge so i'm guessing it will be built in Oakville.

http://autos.sympatico.ca/detroit-autoshow-2011/7402/2011-ford-vertrek-concept

I believe that it will be produced in Louisville , Kentucky where the escape is currently being built after the move from Kansas city assembly

but i could be wrong.

I believe that it will be produced in Louisville , Kentucky where the escape is currently being built after the move from Kansas city assembly

but i could be wrong.

The Escape is still being built in Kansas City, Louisville is currently down for retool to build the next generation Escape,which is the concept vehicle at the auto show.

I've followed this thread for years and it always comes back to trimdingman's fear of getting old, abandonment issues, and full blown economic neurosis where anything less than the certainty of retiring in complete affluence is viewed as poverty (ie having to drive a car the full 10 years--oh the sacrifice and hardship! --wow have we really become this decadent and soft as a society?). My advice to you t-man is leave while you can still enjoy the sunshine. It sucks being in a factory when the weather is great. I'm speaking metaphorically in a way. Let me explain.

Redeem the time NOW ! Not in the future! Don't expect the golden years to get more golden (they don't). A few extra bucks in the bank for a few more extra years in the factory is not worth it. Worrying about inflation, stagflation or deflation and spending your last few healthy years in a factory is not a wise trade-off. My dad retired from OAP at 65, fit as a fiddle, both mentally and physically. Now ten years later I have seen him become an old man. No dementia or other pathology, just plain old age, seemingly overnight. No desire to go anywhere or do anything. Mentally, a shadow of his previous self. Age caught up to him. The price of gas does not interest him, nor do rising taxes, or a falling living standard.

Embrace life now, see the world or a local park, pet a few animals. Put the financial times down. You will have multiple pensions and no doubt some savings, chances are you own some equity as well. I think I remember you saying you live in upscale Oakville. Great! Your sitting on a goldmine. When you retire, consider downsizing and cash out. Scale down not up. You will have more money than you need and you will never be hungry or cold.

Its not that I take issue with your desire to work indefinitely, that's not it, it's your irrational mental poverty that you are subject to and that you wish others shared as well. Usually this complex is the result of childhood poverty or some kind of deprivation. Will Smith the actor suffers from this complex to this day despite being worth hundreds of millions. In his mind, he is still poor.

Stop being a doomsday prognosticator. Believe me in just a few short years you won't care about economic issues or hedging your bets. You remind me of a woman who had a million in the bank but never turned her heat on in the winter. She was 76! She was saving for the future!

Relax, retire and let someone who needs the job more than you take your place and get some help for your neurosis just like you would for a fear of heights or spiders or whatever. People are neurotic because their fear is usually irrational despite every indicator proving otherwise. BTW, travel to other parts of the world and see what poverty and lack really is. If I've seemed harsh in rebuking your constant complaining, I've actually toned down my rhetoric to be as polite as I can.

Best of luck to you with all due respect.

Edited by nphorizon
  • Like 1

I've followed this thread for years and it always comes back to trimdingman's fear of getting old, abandonment issues, and full blown economic neurosis where anything less than the certainty of retiring in complete affluence is viewed as poverty (ie having to drive a car the full 10 years--oh the sacrifice and hardship! --wow have we really become this decadent and soft as a society?). My advice to you t-man is leave while you can still enjoy the sunshine. It sucks being in a factory when the weather is great. I'm speaking metaphorically in a way. Let me explain.

Redeem the time NOW ! Not in the future! Don't expect the golden years to get more golden (they don't). A few extra bucks in the bank for a few more extra years in the factory is not worth it. Worrying about inflation, stagflation or deflation and spending your last few healthy years in a factory is not a wise trade-off. My dad retired from OAP at 65, fit as a fiddle, both mentally and physically. Now ten years later I have seen him become an old man. No dementia or other pathology, just plain old age, seemingly overnight. No desire to go anywhere or do anything. Mentally, a shadow of his previous self. Age caught up to him. The price of gas does not interest him, nor do rising taxes, or a falling living standard.

Embrace life now, see the world or a local park, pet a few animals. Put the financial times down. You will have multiple pensions and no doubt some savings, chances are you own some equity as well. I think I remember you saying you live in upscale Oakville. Great! Your sitting on a goldmine. When you retire, consider downsizing and cash out. Scale down not up. You will have more money than you need and you will never be hungry or cold.

Its not that I take issue with your desire to work indefinitely, that's not it, it's your irrational mental poverty that you are subject to and that you wish others shared as well. Usually this complex is the result of childhood poverty or some kind of deprivation. Will Smith the actor suffers from this complex to this day despite being worth hundreds of millions. In his mind, he is still poor.

Stop being a doomsday prognosticator. Believe me in just a few short years you won't care about economic issues or hedging your bets. You remind me of a woman who had a million in the bank but never turned her heat on in the winter. She was 76! She was saving for the future!

Relax, retire and let someone who needs the job more than you take your place and get some help for your neurosis just like you would for a fear of heights or spiders or whatever. People are neurotic because their fear is usually irrational despite every indicator proving otherwise. BTW, travel to other parts of the world and see what poverty and lack really is. If I've seemed harsh in rebuking your constant complaining, I've actually toned down my rhetoric to be as polite as I can.

Best of luck to you with all due respect.

Very well put. I retired in 2007 when plant lost a shift at age 62. Never looked back or had second thoughts. Last year I made same $ as my son who has a job

because 900 others like me left to give the younger people a job. A good tax person can cut your taxes in half plus you get retiree discounts. My advice GET OUT

AND LIVE.