OAC News

otp

• 2 weeks later...
I was listening to CFRB today. People were calling up asking why should any money go to the Detroit 3 if their own employees are not driving the product they manufacture. The public really doesn't give a sh*t about us when they have a neighbour working at Ford and 4 cars in the driveway with none being a Ford. I can think of 3 union members here at Ford that are siblings, and not one of the three drives a Ford. I have a coworker driving a Toyota and when it came time to purchase a car for his daughter she told him she wanted a Honda and that is what he bought her. :censored:

Not much I can do about these idiots that are helping in the demise of our jobs, but there is no way they should be parking in our Ford lot. These dumb sh*ts actually smile as they hop out of their non-Fords and skip into the plant like nothing is wrong.

When I needed a new roof, four bids from long reputable companies came and did estimates. I told the guy with the Dodge I'd pass on him because he was not supporting Ford. The guy with the Kia car I told to nevermind and let him know why. I picked one of the roofers with a fleet of Fords and I'm very happy with the roof.

How do we pound some intelligence into these morons before we are all out of a job.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Was it US protectioism which prompted US Steel to close its Canadian plants in Hamilton and Lake Erie so that it could keep its US operations open? If one country refuses to buy from another country, they will reciprocate. Both will lose. If you back somebody into a corner, what does he have to lose? This led to World War II, and will lead to World War III if everybody pursues it.

Or you really don't know.

I agree as far as Asian cars go, because they already have protectionist policies in place against us. Ford workers, also should buy Ford products. Otherwise, I think that protectionism is wrong. It will lead to trade wars and eventually to real wars. We produce mainly for the US. If the US people decided to only buy US built cars, our plants would close. We already see it in the closing of US Steel in Hamilton and Nanticoke. US Steel is keeping its US operations open. I don't think that any of the trillion plus in US bailout money is "earmarked" for Canada. It could be dependent on the companies receiving it keeping jobs in the US at our expense. We will be the big losers if the US goes protectionist. If we preach protectionism, ourselves, we will only have ourselves to blame.

Edited by Trimdingman

Ding dude, the WTO allows countries to invoke protectionism at times like these, where imports are causing distress to economies as all the imports are causing distress to ours now.

Ed.

We are dependent on our exports. The WTO is not anyone's master. We export wood, oil, uranium, steel, aluminum, etc. Raw materials is our lifes' blood. There is a surplus of raw materials in the world right now because of the recession. If we refuse other countries' goods, which could be their lifes' blood, they are going to get their raw materials from a more friendly source. It was US protectionism that closed our steel mills. What if Obama dictates that the Edge goes to Chicago before Ford gets any bailout money? That would be ok according to your thinking, right?

• 2 weeks later...

Took a Flex out for a long test yesterday and really liked it.

SEL fwd with BAMR, 2nd row console and two tone roof = $37K out the door (that's CAN for any yankees sniffing around).

Need to wait for the turbo now and convince wife it's not that big of a vehicle.

Took a Flex out for a long test yesterday and really liked it.

SEL fwd with BAMR, 2nd row console and two tone roof = $37K out the door (that's CAN for any yankees sniffing around).

Need to wait for the turbo now and convince wife it's not that big of a vehicle.

From my understanding you have to get AWD to get the Eco-Boost motor, so get prepared for another $3K at least.

I agree as far as Asian cars go, because they already have protectionist policies in place against us. Ford workers, also should buy Ford products. Otherwise, I think that protectionism is wrong. It will lead to trade wars and eventually to real wars. We produce mainly for the US. If the US people decided to only buy US built cars, our plants would close. We already see it in the closing of US Steel in Hamilton and Nanticoke. US Steel is keeping its US operations open. I don't think that any of the trillion plus in US bailout money is "earmarked" for Canada. It could be dependent on the companies receiving it keeping jobs in the US at our expense. We will be the big losers if the US goes protectionist. If we preach protectionism, ourselves, we will only have ourselves to blame.

You don't really believe thats what he is saying ... do you ?

Protectionism is the economic policy of restraining trade between nations, through methods such as tariffs on imported goods, restrictive quotas, and a variety of other restrictive government regulations designed to discourage imports, and prevent foreign take-over of local markets and companies. This policy is closely aligned with anti-globalization, and contrasts with free trade, where government barriers to trade are kept to a minimum. The term is mostly used in the context of economics, where protectionism refers to policies or doctrines which "protect" businesses and workers within a country by restricting or regulating trade with foreign nations.

So .. what he is saying is put tariffs on all the Kia's , Hyundi's , Suzuki's and so forth , so they don't continue eroding our economy .. our meaning Canada and the United States ..

But what I really think you are trying to do is stir shit ..

You don't really believe thats what he is saying ... do you ?

Protectionism is the economic policy of restraining trade between nations, through methods such as tariffs on imported goods, restrictive quotas, and a variety of other restrictive government regulations designed to discourage imports, and prevent foreign take-over of local markets and companies. This policy is closely aligned with anti-globalization, and contrasts with free trade, where government barriers to trade are kept to a minimum. The term is mostly used in the context of economics, where protectionism refers to policies or doctrines which "protect" businesses and workers within a country by restricting or regulating trade with foreign nations.

So .. what he is saying is put tariffs on all the Kia's , Hyundi's , Suzuki's and so forth , so they don't continue eroding our economy .. our meaning Canada and the United States ..

But what I really think you are trying to do is stir shit ..

Since I wrote that, Obama fired the CEO of GM, and ordered Chrysler to merge with Fiat. I wouldn't be surprised with anything he does. When did the president of the United States acquire the authority to fire the president of a private company or manage their internal affairs. As I said before, any money that car companies accept from the government will have a string attached, and a rod and a reel. Ford is wise to steer clear of government handouts. The government team that is handling the auto bailouts have no automotive background. They are going to tell GM how to run their company. The government is maybe one thousandth as efficient as GM. They are telling GM to become more efficient. It should be the other way around.

Wait until Obama finds out that the Edge can be built in Chicago.

Since I wrote that, Obama fired the CEO of GM, and ordered Chrysler to merge with Fiat. I wouldn't be surprised with anything he does. When did the president of the United States acquire the authority to fire the president of a private company or manage their internal affairs. As I said before, any money that car companies accept from the government will have a string attached, and a rod and a reel. Ford is wise to steer clear of government handouts. The government team that is handling the auto bailouts have no automotive background. They are going to tell GM how to run their company. The government is maybe one thousandth as efficient as GM. They are telling GM to become more efficient. It should be the other way around.

The Edge can't be built in Chicago. It can be built in Hermisillo Mexico but the Flex and MKT can be built in Chicago.

"They are going to tell GM how to run their company"

don't the unions do this

Chicago was awarded the next generation Explorer (based on the Explorer America Concept). With them producing the New Tuarus, do not worry about them taking any production from OAC.

Here is a thought. What if Chrysler does go bankrupt. How long would it take Ford to revive Freestar production at OAC, if it could still produce it there.