OAC News

otp

What do you mean free money,you earned that pension !!!!

Yes he did. Now they say that it is a burden, putting the company at a disadvantage to the competition. I say, give me all of my pay on payday and I will look after myself. I am not a baby who needs to have Mommy holding on to my money for me. I don't trust "Mommy" anyway. On the other hand, government has promised too much. When they started out in the pension business, people on average lived to 65, and pensions were not available until age 70. It was sustainable because less than half of the population lived long enough to collect, and they died soon after. Now, government pensions are available at age 60 and 65 for OAS. People are collecting on average close to 20 years as life expectency has increased. This is clearly out of whack, but how do you put the genie back in the bottle? It is political suicide. The government should never have gotten into the pension business in the first place. The only way out is to gradually increase the retirement age and let inflation reduce the actual payout in real dollars. There are millions of Baby Boomers looking to retire at the same time and kick back for the next 20 years or so. The young working population who went to university and have student loans to pay off, and are making $30,000 a year will be expected to keep these retired Boomers living in the lap of luxury while they struggle and live in poverty. They also see the writing on the wall. When their time comes, they will not be getting a pension. As soon as they have the numbers, they will elect a government that will put an end to all this. Young people are starting to see government as a hindrance; not of much use. They will start dismantling government and when they see how much better off they are without government, they will accelerate the process. "Old school" retirees indoctrinated to government will be left by the wayside.

It is better to keep working for as long as you are able. Nobody owes anybody a free ride for 20 or 30 years. Working people pay half of their income in taxes. Retirees pay a lot less. They are a burden. Someone has to pick up their slack. I don't mind paying to support someone who is eighty years old in a wheel chair; but I see 70 year olds who are fit and able, but not working and paying taxes like they could be doing. Alan Mulalli, Ford CEO is 66 and he is still going strong. I am still capable as well. If you keep active, you will stay young longer and live longer, and you will not have to give up your lifestyle, which would be a shock to your metabolism, which is not good. It could cause heart problems, stroke, or make you depressed and more susceptable to disease. Big change late in life leads to an early grave.

When they had mandatory retirement at age 65, many people were forced to retire against their will. This was a violation of their civil rights; or it should have been if just laws had been in place at the time. How can you place a number on something like that? Everybody is different. Some people are old at 50. Some are young at 70. Firing someone from their job because of their age is wrong, and it is also wrong to harass them and mess with their jobs, and treat them like non-entities to try to force them out or give them a heart attack. Shame on the union also for going along with this.

Edited by Trimdingman

The problem is, no matter how good you feel at 60+, you'll never be able to do line work like a 25 or 30 year old. Old age takes its toll. What would happen if everybody thought like you? These plants would be full of 30 plus year guys who can't work the line while the next generation has to wait and wait until they are literally middle aged before they can get in because we have old guys who are afraid that if they retire, they'll die. They'll use any excuse they can think of as to why staying way past your welcome is the right or honorable thing to do.

Crying about harassment is a joke. If you are no longer able to do the job, regardless of age, you should go. Its not discrimination. Yeah, at 60 plus you can keep coming into work because you have a good job, but all these other guys under you who are getting up there in age and whose bodies have started to break down can't get a decent job that they've earned because there is a guy with 40 plus years who won't leave. So a guy with a bad back and 25 years seniority is forced to stay on the line when by that point he should of at least earned a place in an easier department.

IMO, after 35 years you should go. You won't see me staying any longer then that. I'm going to save now so I can get out and actually enjoy life rather than worry about having to come into work every day. Assembly work is a young man's gig.

The problem is, no matter how good you feel at 60+, you'll never be able to do line work like a 25 or 30 year old. Old age takes its toll. What would happen if everybody thought like you? These plants would be full of 30 plus year guys who can't work the line while the next generation has to wait and wait until they are literally middle aged before they can get in because we have old guys who are afraid that if they retire, they'll die. They'll use any excuse they can think of as to why staying way past your welcome is the right or honorable thing to do.

Crying about harassment is a joke. If you are no longer able to do the job, regardless of age, you should go. Its not discrimination. Yeah, at 60 plus you can keep coming into work because you have a good job, but all these other guys under you who are getting up there in age and whose bodies have started to break down can't get a decent job that they've earned because there is a guy with 40 plus years who won't leave. So a guy with a bad back and 25 years seniority is forced to stay on the line when by that point he should of at least earned a place in an easier department.

IMO, after 35 years you should go. You won't see me staying any longer then that. I'm going to save now so I can get out and actually enjoy life rather than worry about having to come into work every day. Assembly work is a young man's gig.

Working on the line can be hard, or it can be easy. It depends on your intelligence. You have to know the tricks. I see young people running their asses off doing a job that a more experienced worker can do with ease. Someone who has worked the line for twenty plus years who has high intelligence knows the tricks. I know reliefmen who worked until 65. Maybe it is only the small minority who can do it at 65. I can. People of low self esteem need to feel superior to somebody, so they pick on the elderly. We are a lot more capable than you think. If someone thinks he can work on the line, it will soon become evident if he really can or not, but he should be given a fair chance, and not be "nit-picked". Lots of people aren't 100%, but a senior worker is expected to be. No more should be expected from him than anyone else. According to the law, employers are supposed to be blind to someone's age. Maybe they need to go for age sensitivity training.

The better job is the one that doesn't have a lot of choices to make. That frees up your mind. There are two ways to put the wrong part on a car. One: you correctly read the teletype, but inadvertently grab the wrong part. Two: you incorrectly read the teletype and select the wrong part. If you make such an error 1% of the time or one out of 100, there is a simple way to improve to one in 10,000. Check the teletype; select the part; look at the part and say to yourself what it is, and look at the teletype again. I have developed many skills over the decades on the line. If I am feeling any pain from repetitive muscle strain, I pinpoint the cause and change my work method. Usually I get a bonus of knocking off a second or two. If work is added to my job, I go back to square one and try different methods. Even stupid seeming methods sometimes turn out to be successful, so I try everything. Running up the line is a no-no. You are working too hard. If you have a hoist, use it. I like a quieter atmosphere. Loud music adds stress. If you feel a sense of relief when the music stops, you are not really enjoying it. You just think you are. There are many many ways that an older worker has the advantage over a younger worker.

Edited by Trimdingman

Your Annoying!!!!Why Not work till YOU DIE!!! I'm sure the Company would love that!!!!!They would be thinking (AHHH!!! another IDIOT Who worked till he Died & didn't take his pension!!!!) Me 30 & OUT I'LL be 52 & you'll find me on the BACK 9!!!!!

BTW 10 HRS. at least till Sept. Negotiations(& Lets all PRAY for a 3rd shift!!!!!!) That's what I heard. Student Applications were handed out 2 weeks ago!!

Edited by schumi1919

Well its my 5 year retirement anivesery today ...and yes I was 48 when I retired .

I have more money now then when I was working ..time to spend it .life is at its best . I was happy to go and leave a spot for a junior man to make a life for him and his familly .

Trimding ..I feel bad for you I worked with a guy the same as you ..no life but Ford ..you have no idea what you are missing ..one day you will "get it"

Mine coming up too ute, been a great 5 years out. Everytime I look in my wallet I see free money Ford gives me. Retirement is a good gig I tell you.

When I read that you guys left 5 years ago my first thought was that you missed the big payday. Didn't even realize I too was at the 5 year mark, time flys. Tonight, Ford will put money in the bank for me, more than I ever cleared for 7-12S in one week, last week the government put a good weeks pay into same bank. 900 plus of us had their last day at Ford 5 years ago today, and not one person was layed off. We all left a job so other, usually younger people had a job, very few had that date picked out 5 years earlier as their retirement date but between the CAW and the company we were able to retire and live in dignity, not many people other that government employees on my street make more than we do, based on all my pensions I make just over $25 an hour, life is good.

Everybody is missing my point. If you are retired, and happy, good for you. I want to continue to work, which is my right under the law. However, I am being discriminated against and harassed; treated differently since I turned down my retirement option. Since this does not apply to you, you don't care. It is just like the person who is discriminated against because of his or her race or gender. It is no longer permitted under Canadian law. I do not have any support because I am in a small minority. If I can't win this battle on my own, I will have to go to the Ontario Human Rights. It is not my fault that Ford is not hiring. They chose to increase automation and outsource. Getting people to quit to "create" jobs is not the answer. People drawing pensions instead of working and paying taxes take money out of the economy, which in the end kills jobs. People who are ambitious and are contributing something to the economy, like myself, are being used as scapegoats. Now the grasshopper is feeding off the ant and blaming the ant for the failing economy. If we all retire and become grasshoppers, where is the money going to come from? You brag that you make more money not working than people who are working. Better not say that too loud. Those working people are subsidizing you. They are paying for your government pension and also for government services that you are getting for free, yet you are getting paid more than they are. There are riots taking place all over because many people are not happy because they are getting the short end.

Edited by Trimdingman

No one cares Trim. You can work until they cart your cold lifeless body out of the plant. No one cares about your rants. Keep working. I want to read about OAC news under this thread, not your rants.

Again what is going on at OAC? What happened to Scotty McColeman and where is he now? How many units can you build on an 8 hour shift/ 10 hour shift? Do you have mass break or relief tag? With Jan - April sales on the upswing with OAC models what does it look like for a third shift being implemented?

I was up there for the three month never happened third shift in summer of 2008.

Edited by fordwindsor

No one cares Trim. You can work until they cart your cold lifeless body out of the plant. No one cares about your rants. Keep working. I want to read about OAC news under this thread, not your rants.

Again what is going on at OAC? What happened to Scotty McColeman and where is he now? How many units can you build on an 8 hour shift/ 10 hour shift? Do you have mass break or relief tag? With Jan - April sales on the upswing with OAC models what does it look like for a third shift being implemented?

I was up there for the three month never happened third shift in summer of 2008.

Scotty is no longer a union rep. We get about 65 an hour off the end, I think. I'll do the math for you. 65x8=520 65x10=650 Body has tag relief, and paint. The rest of the plant has mass relief, I think; not totally sure. U.S sales for April were Edge: 10521; Flex: 2724; MKX: 1882; MKT: 654. 10,520+2724+1882+654=15780.

There is no talk of a third shift. Overall Ford U.S. sales are down 5% in April from last year.

I dont know where you get your information, but maybe you should find a new source. The production schedule for OAC look rosy, or horrible depending on your outlook. We are being canvassed to work the second week of shutdown, and overtime looks to be a given throughout the remainder of the year. Talk of 10 Saturday shifts after Labour Day is also going around. Are sales that good, or is the company stockpiling for a September strike? Only time will tell.

See it can be done and you can retire and enjoy like, you don't have to live like a bum either!

See I live below my means now so I can retire,

I'm sure you have a big fine house 2 new cars and a bunch if toys , that's why you can't retire at 48, see you should managed your money better

Don't hate me cause I know how to save my money and live a good life!

...C!!! :hysterical2:

I dont know where you get your information, but maybe you should find a new source. The production schedule for OAC look rosy, or horrible depending on your outlook. We are being canvassed to work the second week of shutdown, and overtime looks to be a given throughout the remainder of the year. Talk of 10 Saturday shifts after Labour Day is also going around. Are sales that good, or is the company stockpiling for a September strike? Only time will tell.

The contract is up the middle of September. They wouldn't be able to stockpile much working Saturdays after Labor Day, so it must be sales.

It's all about cheap labor , unless you guys in Canada are gonna take a pay cut then your product will be moved.

Look what happened to us in the UAW!

You won't get new product cause we got it all here in the states , so to keep what you got be ready for a pay cut.

It's all about cheap labor , unless you guys in Canada are gonna take a pay cut then your product will be moved.

Look what happened to us in the UAW!

You won't get new product cause we got it all here in the states , so to keep what you got be ready for a pay cut.

We already took that medicine. We get more per hour, but no lump sums. Our taxes pay for health care; so we already provide cheap labor. We also gave up break time and two weeks vacation among other things. The Chinese like us better, so they will buy more from us. The Prime Minister just got back from China. If you can look at Detroit and not see the writing on the wall, then you must be blind.