Ford has had talks with Renault to sell Volvo

TStag

You ought to know someone with the last name "JENSEN" can pick out a Scandinavian country on a map. You thought perhaps we all believed we came from Polynesia? :P

I think you're giving too much credit to all the other "Jensens" in the US. Half of them probably can't find the United States on a map. Geographic knowledge in this country is pathetic.

I think you're giving too much credit to all the other "Jensens" in the US. Half of them probably can't find the United States on a map. Geographic knowledge in this country is pathetic.

HEY! THAT'S MY FAMILY YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!!

(well, not really)

Heck, Jensen is a common enough name in Britain, thanks to the Viking invasions....

I wonder if they had Volvos back then too.....

Nope, no roads, just fijords, the "fiddly bits" done by Slartibartfast in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. :)

They did develop a kind of floating Volvo, though, practical and tough, compared to a Welsh coracle or an Arab dhow of the era:

viking06.jpg

Volvo global sales were up in 2007.

Volvo's margins aren't any worse than Jaguar's.

Of course sales were up they make the C30 now "a high volume model" (yes right). I don't care who you compare Volvo's margins to they are poor. Ford has better margins. Get it in context. Volvo is competing with BMW, who make over 1.3 million cars a year. MINI alone sells over 250,000 units. Now compare to Volvo. They sell too few cars for too little money. But the real problem I have with Volvo is that their recovery plan is no where near advanced enough. Ford are bleeding cash and all Volvo will do is add to that. Ford can't afford the luxury that is Volvo right now, given the fact that it's recovery program is only really just getting underway. Volvo need a proper premium partner,they need more bespoke parts (as Ford admitted) in their cars. The cheap way of doing that, by sharing bits with JLR is gone. So Ford will need to splash the cash and cut another Lincoln or Mercury program.....

SELL VOLVO SAVE LINCOLN/ MERCURY!

Of course sales were up they make the C30 now "a high volume model" (yes right). I don't care who you compare Volvo's margins to they are poor. Ford has better margins. Get it in context. Volvo is competing with BMW, who make over 1.3 million cars a year. MINI alone sells over 250,000 units. Now compare to Volvo. They sell too few cars for too little money. But the real problem I have with Volvo is that their recovery plan is no where near advanced enough.

SELL VOLVO SAVE LINCOLN/ MERCURY!

1: You said Volvo sales were down

2: Volvo easily outsells Jaguar/Land Rover. How is it that they have problems with margins vis a vis BMW whilst JLR do not?

3: I don't think that you could summarize Volvo's recovery plan for all the tea in China.

2: Volvo easily outsells Jaguar/Land Rover. How is it that they have problems with margins vis a vis BMW whilst JLR do not?

3: I don't think that you could summarize Volvo's recovery plan for all the tea in China.

1: Adjusted for new models it is.

2: Ford outsells Porsche. Who is more profitable? Land Rover will sell you a highly specced Range Rover for $200,000. How much is the most expensive Volvo? Land Rover derive most of their money from the Range Rover Sport and Range Rover models. Margins here are enormous. The Freelander/ LR2 profit margins are better now because some development costs will be split over 3 new models which will take Halewood production to 210,000 units. So Land Rover's profits should spiral by about 2010-2011. As Land Rover bosses say they model the company on Porsche so you really ought to ask what there margins are and how their sales compare to Volvo. Care to answer that one? Do you understand how margins work?

Jag is still recovering but it's plain to see that once the big money models from Land Rover replace the Mondeo X type then Jag will only make models in one small factory. Jag is about 1 model away (the XJ) from making a good return. The bigger headache is around how to expand. BTW need to see it confirmed but I think Jag's sales figs may be up 55% this month....

3.) Very quick summary:

-Open US plant

-Use less Ford parts

-Increase prices

-Make more smaller cars like the c30 (great idea not)

-Make lots of new models

Don't have too many issues with their future plans but how long wll Ford have to wait for Volvo to get fixed.

So look I'm not the one provoking a JLR/ Volvo debate. You guys are. All I'm saying is that Volvo looks like it's only at the begining of a plan to fix the company it could be year aways from being fixed properly. If you asked my what Ford should do with Jag when they were in the same boat I'd have said dump them. But Ford sold Jag at the wrong moment and are keeping Volvo at the wrong time. Timing is everthing.

1: Adjusted for new models it is.

2: Ford outsells Porsche. Who is more profitable? Land Rover will sell you a highly specced Range Rover for $200,000. How much is the most expensive Volvo? Land Rover derive most of their money from the Range Rover Sport and Range Rover models. Margins here are enormous. The Freelander/ LR2 profit margins are better now because some development costs will be split over 3 new models which will take Halewood production to 210,000 units. So Land Rover's profits should spiral by about 2010-2011. As Land Rover bosses say they model the company on Porsche so you really ought to ask what there margins are and how their sales compare to Volvo. Care to answer that one? Do you understand how margins work?

Jag is still recovering but it's plain to see that once the big money models from Land Rover replace the Mondeo X type then Jag will only make models in one small factory. Jag is about 1 model away (the XJ) from making a good return. The bigger headache is around how to expand. BTW need to see it confirmed but I think Jag's sales figs may be up 55% this month....

3.) Very quick summary:

-Open US plant

-Use less Ford parts

-Increase prices

-Make more smaller cars like the c30 (great idea not)

-Make lots of new models

Don't have too many issues with their future plans but how long wll Ford have to wait for Volvo to get fixed.

So look I'm not the one provoking a JLR/ Volvo debate. You guys are. All I'm saying is that Volvo looks like it's only at the begining of a plan to fix the company it could be year aways from being fixed properly. If you asked my what Ford should do with Jag when they were in the same boat I'd have said dump them. But Ford sold Jag at the wrong moment and are keeping Volvo at the wrong time. Timing is everthing.

1: Adjusted for new models JLR volume is down significantly as well.

2: Average transaction price is not the final arbiter of profitability. Unless you want to treat the costs of ongoing upgrades as nonexistent.

3: An interesting summary, unfortunately, it is significantly different from Volvo's actual plans.

Different world when oil is approaching $150 a barrel. They longer Ford keeps Volvo the more money they lose, however I don't think a buyer will emerge that will pay Ford what Ford thinks Volvo is worth, so the bleeding will continue.

1: Adjusted for new models JLR volume is down significantly as well.

2: Average transaction price is not the final arbiter of profitability. Unless you want to treat the costs of ongoing upgrades as nonexistent.

3: An interesting summary, unfortunately, it is significantly different from Volvo's actual plans.

1. Land Rover is down at this stage of it's product cyle (but very profitable), Jag is very much up.

2. Profits on bigger cars are always better than on smaller ones. Range Rover's have relatively low costs but sell for a lot of money. Land Rover bosses admit this freely.

3. Which bits were actually wrong?

Different world when oil is approaching $150 a barrel. They longer Ford keeps Volvo the more money they lose, however I don't think a buyer will emerge that will pay Ford what Ford thinks Volvo is worth, so the bleeding will continue.

You are very right.

1. Land Rover is down at this stage of it's product cyle (but very profitable), Jag is very much up.

2. Profits on bigger cars are always better than on smaller ones. Range Rover's have relatively low costs but sell for a lot of money. Land Rover bosses admit this freely.

3. Which bits were actually wrong?

1. You said that Volvo was down 'adjusting for new vehicle launches'. Well, so are Jag and Land Rover.

2. Then why are BMW & MB the only independent luxury car makers? And why do THEY sell hundreds of thousands of teeny entrylevel cars?

3. Numbers 2-4

I wonder if they had Volvos back then too.....

So, who will be buying Volvo next week, VW - BMW - Chinese/Russian?

Reuters must be running out of 15 year old blog informants by now......

Actually GM will be buying Volvo. :hysterical:

• 2 years later...

Ford has had talks with Renault to sell Volvo

June 30, 2008 - 3:00 pm ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. has had exploratory talks with French automaker Renault SA to sell Volvo, but the initial talks broke down due to price differences, sources familiar with the matter told Reuters.

The two parties have spoken again after their initial discussions, which were held last fall, the sources said.

Ford has also had talks with China's third-largest automaker, Dongfeng Motor Group, as a potential partner for Volvo, one of the sources said.

Ford spokesman Mark Truby declined to comment directly on the report, but said: "We announced earlier this year that Volvo is not for sale and that we are focused on improving Volvo's business results."

Source Automotive News

Selling it was a great idea.