Where is the 2010 Focus?

RangerM

I do not know if the new taurus can be sold in Europe.

The biggest car to be sold is a 7 series BMW ! If it is longer than that, no way !!

I also think that the ford brand needs to work a little bit more to go upscale.

Before going to the taurus/falcon size, I can see a mondeo cc and then the next taurus in 2014 !

You can sell whatever the people will buy in Europe.

If the next Taurus is RWD it will be sold in Europe.

I would think the Taurus would be too big to sell in Europe without quality improvements and RWD.

I'm not referring to the current Taurus, I mean the next gen Taurus (2010); the one we've seen in that one spy shot.

Maybe an AWD only version would/could be sent over, rather than FWD.

I'm am excited about the 2011 focus.

confirmed:

hatchbacks are back

Direct-injection gas engines,

ISA, (integrated starter alternator) Start/stop engine operation.

5/6 speed AMT (automated manual trans axle)

I expect low 30 city and low 40s hwy.

It will drive like a Focus, ride like a focus, and steer like a focus.

Be safer, quieter and more refined.

What more could we want.

Edited by Biker16

I'm not referring to the current Taurus, I mean the next gen Taurus (2010); the one we've seen in that one spy shot.

Maybe an AWD only version would/could be sent over, rather than FWD.

I was referring to the 2010 Taurus as well. It will be a hit in the US. A car this big won't sell in Europe unless it can compete against the larger BMW and MB.

Edited by battyr

Ford needs to develop a new Global D/E 4 platform. It needs to be RWD first but adaptable to be FWD. Should use as many EUCD2 internal parts as posible, but Unique body structure and Australian suspension.

In Europe it can be used for FWD/RWD/AWD Transit. Maybe high end RWD luxury Ford and Volvo S100.

In Australia it can replace all current RWD cars.

In US replaced FWD Flex, MKT, low end E-150 (FWD Transit) and maybe Taurus.

In US replaced all RWD cars, E-250 (RWD Transit), RWD Explorer and maybe RWD Taurus.

The future Transit would actually be a different platform but be designed at the same time as the D4 and share a lot of parts.

Ford needs to develop a new Global D/E 4 platform. It needs to be RWD first but adaptable to be FWD. Should use as many EUCD2 internal parts as posible, but Unique body structure and Australian suspension.

In Europe it can be used for FWD/RWD/AWD Transit. Maybe high end RWD luxury Ford and Volvo S100.

In Australia it can replace all current RWD cars.

In US replaced FWD Flex, MKT, low end E-150 (FWD Transit) and maybe Taurus.

In US replaced all RWD cars, E-250 (RWD Transit), RWD Explorer and maybe RWD Taurus.

The future Transit would actually be a different platform but be designed at the same time as the D4 and share a lot of parts.

I think you're expecting a bit too much from a single platform. It's possible all of those could be spawned from 2 platforms, but trying to get that much out of 1 would likely end up with far too many compromises.

I think you're expecting a bit too much from a single platform. It's possible all of those could be spawned from 2 platforms, but trying to get that much out of 1 would likely end up with far too many compromises.

Maybe?

If you want RWD with BMW like weight distribution and handling, or FWD at the lowest posible weight, then it can't be done.

The Transit already comes with FWD and RWD options. I would think if the MKS and Flex can share a platform, then a FWD Flex and RWD Explorer could share a platform.

If a large RWD platform is redesigned for a FWD version, I don't see any problem. Just design the vehicle wide enough to be able to turn the engine sideways. If it is already designed for AWD then the front suspension is no problem. The problem is that both FWD and RWD versions will end up a little heavier. This can be reduced up by increasing the design cost and sharing the cost over more vehicles.

The Transit will still have to be a different platform, but it would be better by sharing some parts rather than being a complete orphan.

Just don't expect the next Taurus to be as light as a Mondeo, or the next CV to handle like a BMW 7 series, or the next explorer to tow the same size boat as an F-150. I don't see any problem with a FWD Taurus having a small unused transmission hump and a slightly longer wheelbase and hood.

Maybe?

If you want RWD with BMW like weight distribution and handling, or FWD at the lowest posible weight, then it can't be done.

The Transit already comes with FWD and RWD options. I would think if the MKS and Flex can share a platform, then a FWD Flex and RWD Explorer could share a platform.

If a large RWD platform is redesigned for a FWD version, I don't see any problem. Just design the vehicle wide enough to be able to turn the engine sideways. If it is already designed for AWD then the front suspension is no problem. The problem is that both FWD and RWD versions will end up a little heavier. This can be reduced up by increasing the design cost and sharing the cost over more vehicles.

The Transit will still have to be a different platform, but it would be better by sharing some parts rather than being a complete orphan.

Just don't expect the next Taurus to be as light as a Mondeo, or the next CV to handle like a BMW 7 series, or the next explorer to tow the same size boat as an F-150. I don't see any problem with a FWD Taurus having a small unused transmission hump and a slightly longer wheelbase and hood.

It's just a matter of compromise. What do you want to compromise to allow one vehicle to share with another? Do you really want a platform with so much flexibility designed into it that both a Mustang and a Transit and a Flex can all share the same platform? Something tells me you're going to sacrifice a lot to get there. You mentioned a few of them already yourself -- more weight, more cost, transmission humps, etc. They may seem minor when looked at individually, but it all adds up.

I think the current GRWD program would probably be best suited to stay as it is. Where the evolution of D3 and the Transit head is still to be seen, but that's further off than when we expect GRWD to be ready.