Ford F-150 ranked as the most-American vehicle

V8-X

lol look at my avatar.

Ford was also chosen by consumers as the most-American automaker, according to a recent survey conducted by Cars.com. In the survey, 49 percent of respondents perceived Ford to be the most-American manufacturer. Chevrolet ranked a distant second, with 29 percent of participants calling it the most-American automaker.

interesting...

lol look at my avatar.

interesting...

Yup, check out my ride in my sig.

Yes, the F150 is the most American vehicle, which is made by the most American auto manufacturer.

Hold your flags high!!!

It'll be funny seeing what the foreign lovers have to say since they always dog domestics and any potential flaw. Just waiting for the trolls to come out on this one.

Only in the USA would someone even write about the "Most American" vehicle.

Can you imagine someone writing about the most German or most Japanese vehicle in each of those countries?

I know this is hard to believe, but some countries think it is a good idea to have a strong manufacturing base.

Only in the USA would someone even write about the "Most American" vehicle.

Can you imagine someone writing about the most German or most Japanese vehicle in each of those countries?

I know this is hard to believe, but some countries think it is a good idea to have a strong manufacturing base.

So you don't think it's good to be proud of your country? Or the products that represent your country?

Yes I can imagine that. Bet there are debates on which is the best Japanese Auto Maker (Honda,

Toyota, Nissan, etc.

Are you saying that America doesn't have a good manufacturing base because they think Ford is considered the most American auto product?

So you don't think it's good to be proud of your country? Or the products that represent your country?

Yes I can imagine that. Bet there are debates on which is the best Japanese Auto Maker (Honda,

Toyota, Nissan, etc.

Are you saying that America doesn't have a good manufacturing base because they think Ford is considered the most American auto product?

Quick answer: America has offshored most its manufacturing base except for a few industries and they are on the endangered list.

So, is this a perception based survey, or a content % based survey?

If it is perception based, it has about as much use as toilet paper. If it is content based, then it is a different story.

Personally I couldn't care less either way. As long as the product makes me happy and does the job it is supposed to do. I am not going to waste my time with where a product comes from...especially in today's economy...when looking for a car, truck, boat, PWC, etc. If I am going to buy a small car, then I will round up all of the models that interest me and narrow it down to the vehicle that best fits my needs. Same for a boat, truck, etc.

If it is perception based, it has about as much use as toilet paper. If it is content based, then it is a different story.

Personally I couldn't care less either way. As long as the product makes me happy and does the job it is supposed to do. I am not going to waste my time with where a product comes from...especially in today's economy...when looking for a car, truck, boat, PWC, etc. If I am going to buy a small car, then I will round up all of the models that interest me and narrow it down to the vehicle that best fits my needs. Same for a boat, truck, etc.

About the only benefit I could see from this if it is a perception survey is that Ford will likely get a few more of the "Buy American" preachers as customers instead of GM. Unfortunately, that's not a very large constituency anymore.

Did you read the article? Both content % and perception were used. some quotes for you:

"The index, which the auto Web site releases on a semi-annual basis, ranks the vehicles based on a percentage by cost of parts made domestically, location of vehicle assembly and how popular each car is with U.S. buyers."

"Most cars built in the U.S., for example, are assembled using at least some parts that come from somewhere else. Cars.com's American-Made Index helps consumers identify the most-American vehicles based on production location, percentage of domestic parts content, and American sales volume for each vehicle."

Ford was also chosen by consumers as the most-American automaker, according to a recent survey conducted by Cars.com. In the survey, 49 percent of respondents perceived Ford to be the most-American manufacturer. Chevrolet ranked a distant second, with 29 percent of participants calling it the most-American automaker.

So the F150 is based off content and sales, while Ford as a brand is perception by consumers.

About the only benefit I could see from this if it is a perception survey is that Ford will likely get a few more of the "Buy American" preachers as customers instead of GM. Unfortunately, that's not a very large constituency anymore.

Actually from the article:

Consumer attitudes about domestic versus foreign cars made their choices vary greatly, according to the survey. While most say their buying habits aren't influenced by where a car is made, 27 percent of consumers said they would only consider buying American-made vehicles, and 9 percent would only consider foreign-made cars.

So there is a significantly higher number that will only purchase american vs only purchase foreign. And reasoning behind these %:

Of those who only consider American-made cars, most are motivated by a desire to support the economy or loyalty to an American-made brand. Those who only buy foreign makes do so primarily because they perceive them to be of higher quality. These buyers said higher-quality cars and better fuel economy from American automakers would make these brands more appealing.

Edited by V8-X

Well, perception is key. But I perceive the Silverado as far more "American" (whatever that means) than the F-150. When I hear the word Silverado, I think of cowboys on a ranch, riding horses and making dust, rocks, and of course Bob Seger. When I hear F-150, I see a truck supposedly being swung by it's tow hooks and supposedly stopping an air plane.

But I still don't understand this whole "more American" thing. I, for one, think it is completely arrogant considering Canada and Mexico are part of America as well.

Actually from the article:

Consumer attitudes about domestic versus foreign cars made their choices vary greatly, according to the survey. While most say their buying habits aren't influenced by where a car is made, 27 percent of consumers said they would only consider buying American-made vehicles, and 9 percent would only consider foreign-made cars.

So there is a significantly higher number that will only purchase american vs only purchase foreign. And reasoning behind these %:

Of those who only consider American-made cars, most are motivated by a desire to support the economy or loyalty to an American-made brand. Those who only buy foreign makes do so primarily because they perceive them to be of higher quality. These buyers said higher-quality cars and better fuel economy from American automakers would make these brands more appealing.

What people SAY and what people DO are sometimes significantly different, especially in regards to something that can get sensitive. It's sort of, though perhaps not quite as extreme, like the results you will get on a survey of people who will admit to being racist or who will admit to having hit a woman. Even in an anonymous survey, some people are going to wave the flag of patriotism in their answers.

So there is a significantly higher number that will only purchase American vs only purchase foreign. And reasoning behind these %:

Of those who only consider American-made cars, most are motivated by a desire to support the economy or loyalty to an American-made brand.

That has to be the DUMBEST and most asinine thing I have ever read. Are those people really that stupid? They are spending thousands and thousands of their hard earned dollars on a product, and their basis for buying it is where it is made?

People, if you buy a car...no matter what brand it is, you are helping the economy.

Well, perception is key. But I perceive the Silverado as far more "American" (whatever that means) than the F-150. When I hear the word Silverado, I think of cowboys on a ranch, riding horses and making dust, rocks, and of course Bob Seger. When I hear F-150, I see a truck supposedly being swung by it's tow hooks and supposedly stopping an air plane.

But I still don't understand this whole "more American" thing. I, for one, think it is completely arrogant considering Canada and Mexico are part of America as well.

shades of brokeback Mountain..........welcome back from vacation P.

That has to be the DUMBEST and most asinine thing I have ever read. Are those people really that stupid? They are spending thousands and thousands of their hard earned dollars on a product, and their basis for buying it is where it is made?

People, if you buy a car...no matter what brand it is, you are helping the economy.

You are helping AN economy, yes.

I mean is it dumb to base it SOLELY on who makes it? Eh, maybe. But when it comes down to it, you're going to get a pretty decent car nowadays no matter which company makes it. If you want to limit your selections down to American companies, you've still got plenty of vehicles to choose from. Aside from ridiculous exotics and a couple of more recently emerging niches (hybrid sedans and b-cars -- which are being covered quickly), is there really anything that an American car company doesn't offer that an import company does? Most of the bases are covered.

Well if we were talking about North America, then you'd be correct. But then we'd have to include Central and South America, since they include "America" in their name.

This is referring to the "United States of America" also know as "America". I don't see "America" anywhere in the name Canada or Mexico.

Sorry for getting so specific, but it was evident clarification was needed.

Well if we were talking about North America, then you'd be correct. But then we'd have to include Central and South America, since they include "America" in their name.

This is referring to the "United States of America" also know as "America". I don't see "America" anywhere in the name Canada or Mexico.

I think one needs to THROW out where INDIVIDUAL vehicles are built and look at the PARENT company and its contribution AS A WHOLE...and i also think all the BS happening overseas may have the effect of PROMOTING patriotism....side note...your national anthem rocks...gives me goose bumps everytime I hear it...sure beats "God save the Queen..........." hell even the Haka beats THAT!

Your problem is the F150 figure wasn't based off perception, it was based off sales volume and parts content. Now Ford as a brand was based off perception that it was more American than any other brand. Did you read my clips from the column? Cause you would have noticed this if you had.

You are helping AN economy, yes.

I mean is it dumb to base it SOLELY on who makes it? Eh, maybe. But when it comes down to it, you're going to get a pretty decent car nowadays no matter which company makes it. If you want to limit your selections down to American companies, you've still got plenty of vehicles to choose from. Aside from ridiculous exotics and a couple of more recently emerging niches (hybrid sedans and b-cars -- which are being covered quickly), is there really anything that an American car company doesn't offer that an import company does? Most of the bases are covered.

Exactly. Take small cars for example. If I were in the market for a new small car, here is the models I would look at:

Cobalt

Civic

Corolla

Accent

Sentra

Focus

Now, If I have 15-20K to spend, why would I limit my choices to two cars? It makes no sense. I like to have the satasification of knowing that I did all I could to get the most for my hard earned money.

Yeah...the United States are in America. But so is Canada and Mexico.