Is the Flex selling well?

TStag

With the topic being "is Flex selling well" the answer is no unfortunately it is not. Like Ironhorse ( a dealer) they are not getting any traffic on the vehicle and consider it pretty expensive and poor timing to launch a large vehicle. I have talked to over 25 dealers recently on this product and they all are saying the same thing. Not me.

The dealer's want to sell product and make some money. They have been trained on this vehicle and given adaquate inventory. It just is not driving traffic right now when dealer's are hungry for paying customers. Their inventory is tight on small vehicles, they are loaded up on trucks and SUV's and this was supposed to be a bright spot for their business this year.

Ford offers very little money or an aggressive lease to bring people in. This will be addressed soon-Ford is not going to launch this vehicle and let it die on dealer lots. Their is a buyer for every vehicle on a dealer lot-it just depends when the customer sees the value in it.

That said, I understand Ford is doing the bulk of their ad buys in September, there is still a huge market for 6+ passenger vehicles and the more people see it the more it may be accepted.

For me the jury is still out. I sure hope it sells and helps everyone at Ford.

Well the topgun is in Cold Lake Alberta checking out the F-18 Hornets at the Canadian Air Force base here ,wishing Viper Pilot was here to enjoy it with me,anyways was at Cold Lake Ford dealership for an oil change,not one Flex on the lot and the salesman said to me they don't want any either just send any F series trucks out here. We were touring around today and saw no Flexes anywhere. Seems like this is not Flex territory up here.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While walking into work yeaterday, I passed a Chrysler Pacifica parked next to a Ford Flex....

I couldn't help but make the connection. The America car buying market is soooo fickle, and it will go with Flex. Hoipefully, we will cover the engineering, facilities, and tooling, before the market turns on us.

It's no wonder why the Big Three focused on trucks & SUVs for so long.. they market was safe.

I don't think America car buying is fickle at all. The SUV craze started with the 1991 Explorer and lasted for almost 17 years. Gas tripled over the past 8 years and doubled in just the past few months. So the SUV is now obsolete. If gas comes down probably SUV sales will gain a bit, but after this big "peak oil" scare, probably it's over. Nothing fickle. Just adjusting to a rapidly changing reality.

I don't think America car buying is fickle at all. The SUV craze started with the 1991 Explorer and lasted for almost 17 years. Gas tripled over the past 8 years and doubled in just the past few months. So the SUV is now obsolete. If gas comes down probably SUV sales will gain a bit, but after this big "peak oil" scare, probably it's over. Nothing fickle. Just adjusting to a rapidly changing reality.

SUV's are not obsolete now, and won't be obsolete in the future. There are still people who want/need them. Are there going to be as many of those people? Probably not. But sometimes a sedan or wagon simply will not do.

SUV's are not obsolete now, and won't be obsolete in the future. There are still people who want/need them. Are there going to be as many of those people? Probably not. But sometimes a sedan or wagon simply will not do.

Yeah, but the concept of EVERYONE having or wanting an SUV is over. They will be merely niche products.

Yeah, but the concept of EVERYONE having or wanting an SUV is over. They will be merely niche products.

Not EVERYONE has or wants anything in the auto world. Not EVERYONE wants compact cars. Not EVERYONE cares if their car gets 50 mpg. Not EVERYONE is going to avoid SUVs like the plague. Just look at CUV/SUV sales last month. They still accounted for a SIGNIFICANT portion of sales overall, and a huge portion of Ford's sales. It's hardly been relegated to niche status yet...and likely won't ever be.

Not EVERYONE has or wants anything in the auto world. Not EVERYONE wants compact cars. Not EVERYONE cares if their car gets 50 mpg. Not EVERYONE is going to avoid SUVs like the plague. Just look at CUV/SUV sales last month. They still accounted for a SIGNIFICANT portion of sales overall, and a huge portion of Ford's sales. It's hardly been relegated to niche status yet...and likely won't ever be.

Yeah, but in the real world almost EVERYONE wanted an SUV from 1991 until just a short time ago, in one form or another. That's over. The problem is that the USA makers, in particular, have SUVs as their bread and butter while they now need to be mainly a side dish. And the small cars are the side dish and need to be bread and butter.

It's August. I am waiting to see the huge firesale that is coming. I'd like to see $12,000 to $15,000 off of Explorers like is currently the case with Trailblazer/Envoy.

Yeah, but in the real world almost EVERYONE wanted an SUV from 1991 until just a short time ago, in one form or another. That's over. The problem is that the USA makers, in particular, have SUVs as their bread and butter while they now need to be mainly a side dish. And the small cars are the side dish and need to be bread and butter.

It's August. I am waiting to see the huge firesale that is coming. I'd like to see $12,000 to $15,000 off of Explorers like is currently the case with Trailblazer/Envoy.

So all of those millions of Camrys, Altimas, and Accords bought between 1991 and 2007 were sold to people who actually wanted SUV's? Gotcha. Glad you could clear that up.

And here I thought when I bought my Mustang in 1997 and my Mazda6 in 2005 it was because I wanted those cars. Now I come to realize I actually wanted an SUV. Damn.

Edited by NickF1011

The Flex should do fine as soon as everybody calms the f- down and decides they want a car for a range of attributes and features, not just gas mileage alone.

Seriously, the best solution to higher gas prices is just to drive what you want, but drive less. Do what UPS does - learn about and practice logistics.

A Flex is a marvelous combination of utility and, yes, relative economy. My '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee, with 220 horsepower, is EPA rated at 14/18. The Flex is what, 17/24? And has more power and usable space, and seating for seven.

Now that gas prices are coming down, and people aren't so flippin' crazy, quality vehicles like the Flex should sell. I'm a Jeephead, and the Flex's looks remind me of the iconic Grand Wagoneer. If I needed a car that big, I'd certainly consider a Flex.

see, i veiw it totally differently, starts under 30k...and for 35-36 its loaded, vista, leather, nav, synch...you name it, and I perceive that as great value for a 7 passenger of such luxury and refinement...my pitcher is half full....cheer up laddie!

I just went on carsdirect.com and built an AWD LIMITED FLEX with the only additional options of Tow package and voice activated nav sys for $38,076. If you don,t get the DVD and the Sunfoors you save a lot of money.

Focus SE's and SEL's, Fusion 4cyl SE's with sunroof, Sirus,and wheels, Escape 4 cyl with Moon & tune.,Ranger base & XLT 4x2's Base F150's and Loaded Supercrew Lariats.

The rest sit.

I don't think very many FEH's sit on the lot, gathering dust. :stirpot:

I saw two flexes this weekend...I had a Flex limited parked right next to my Mustang at the Grocery Store and saw the other one on my travels around where I live at. Personally I think people are way too fixated on gas prices right now, which are down to the tune of me saving 8-10 bucks per fill up vs back in June. The market sucks right now for large ticket price items and people aren't going to buy unless they really need it.

Personally I have zero need for a Flex myself, but I do really like it, but I'll prob wind up with a Fusion or Edge as my next car. If I get settled down, that might change though ;)

That statement is the reason for bad Flex sales..The vehicle is not needed or wanted....especially at the price point.

Enough about the PRICE POINT. It starts UNDER THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!!!!! :finger:

Do I need a Flex? No.

Do I want one? Quite possibly. :)

Do I think it costs too much? Hardly.

It's selling slowly because.....dealers didn't have them. Period.

That statement is the reason for bad Flex sales..The vehicle is not needed or wanted....especially at the price point.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! I want it and need it and I'm ordering an SEL. So just because you don't want or need it, no one does? Get a life dude.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! I want it and need it and I'm ordering an SEL. So just because you don't want or need it, no one does? Get a life dude.

Really? Maybe I should rephrase, some people might need it and want it,but in my opinion, not enough to make this vehicle a profitable for the factory,or the dealer...with all due respect, I don't think you have a clue.

Really? Maybe I should rephrase, some people might need it and want it,but in my opinion, not enough to make this vehicle a profitable for the factory,or the dealer...with all due respect, I don't think you have a clue.

How do you know how much it will take to make it profitable for the factory or the dealer? I have no doubt dealers will make money off the Flex -- probably quite a bit. The factory shouldn't have much trouble either, being that it's based largely on existing architecture.

How do you know how much it will take to make it profitable for the factory or the dealer? I have no doubt dealers will make money off the Flex -- probably quite a bit. The factory shouldn't have much trouble either, being that it's based largely on existing architecture.

I've been a Ford Dealer Principal for over 15 years, Make no mistake,I want Ford to have a hit with this vehicle...I just don't see it yet. I don't see a lot of dealers ordering or carrying large inventories of the Flex...Remember dealers are Ford's real customers.

Edited by ironhorse

I've been a Ford Dealer Principle for over 15 years, Make no mistake,I want Ford to have a hit with this vehicle...I just don't see it yet. I don't see a lot of dealers ordering or carrying large inventories of the Flex...Remember dealers are Ford's real customers.

Dealers in the larger metro areas seem to be slowly stocking up. I can see there being far less demand in rural areas.

You could be right...I hope you are right! I hope it "catches on" everywhere.

Don't you think the crumby economic conditions that are going on right now are also having an effect on sales? Not because of the way the Flex is, its just that everyone is doing belt tighting and people who are looking at cars are panicing in light of the way gas prices have been for the past couple months?

Don't you think the crumby economic conditions that are going on right now are also having an effect on sales? Not because of the way the Flex is, its just that everyone is doing belt tighting and people who are looking at cars are panicing in light of the way gas prices have been for the past couple months?

In the light of gas prices? You mean down 65 cents a gallon? :D