First Drive: 2009 Ford Fiesta (Euro-spec)

papilgee4evaeva

The marketing and product development staff we spoke to in Europe say that certain changes will be necessary to accommodate American tastes, including fine-tuning the suspension towards North American roads and catering the seats towards American buyers.

Translation:

FNA's trademark mediocrity will be implemented somehow, plus landyacht handling and seats designed for fat people.

3.jpg

Edited by pcsario

Right............

I had a '98 Contour SE. Fun car to drive, but....

I caught a ride to Brookings, SD with a friend once, and noticed how much better his vehicle handled a really rough stretch of interstate near Flandreau. Night and day difference.

His vehicle?

Wait for it.....

A Mitsubishi Montero.

Believe me, tuning these cars for American roads will most certainly NOT drive away REAL customers. Even if it ticks off the wine spectator crowd on the Internet.

WILL Ford NA tinker with the Fiesta's handling to suit the grid system in the US just interested Deanh is Psario talking shit?

who knows...and I underline WHO knows....personally i have high hopes for the Fiesta, it will sell on looks alone...right now there are TWO hot buttons in the B car segment...and last I looked neither styling or MPG had anything to do with "handling" and larger seats...and BOTH of those assumptions are purley specualtive anyways....mark my words...if priced competitively the Fiesta will take its class by storm....

who knows...and I underline WHO knows....personally i have high hopes for the Fiesta, it will sell on looks alone...right now there are TWO hot buttons in the B car segment...and last I looked neither styling or MPG had anything to do with "handling" and larger seats...and BOTH of those assumptions are purley specualtive anyways....mark my words...if priced competitively the Fiesta will take its class by storm....

Here's my bold prediction... NOT a statement of fact, just a prediction:

In the years to come, the comparos are consistently going to have the Fit and Fiesta 1-2... in either order. It looks to be that the Fit and Fiesta are the subcompacts that people are actually WANTING to buy versus the Yaris, Aveo, Accent, and Suzukis that people seem to buy just to get from A to B.

In the years to come, the comparos are consistently going to have the Fit and Fiesta 1-2... in either order. It looks to be that the Fit and Fiesta are the subcompacts that people are actually WANTING to buy versus the Yaris, Aveo, Accent, and Suzukis that people seem to buy just to get from A to B.

I dunno.....from what I have read the Yaris, Aveo, Accent etc are all out handling M3's on the skidpad.....big seats and all.....

Here's my prediction:

The Fiesta will consistently place midpack, as the magazine writers bemoan changes that were made to it, to suit US standards and tastes. Instead of noting that it handles better than all others in the segments, they'll deduct points because it doesn't handle as well as a model sold in Europe.

Instead of noting its credentials, they will base their opinions on the fact that the Fiesta ST will not be sold here.

Instead of noting its parsimonious mileage, they will whine because the diesels sold in Europe are not offered here.

Gotta say l like Alan Mulally's 737 global car idea last time l visited the States l hired a Pontiac Grand Am it was like the starship enterprise it had more buttons on the armrests than 10 TV remote controls, about 30 warning lights it was a nightmare, after 225 miles drive l hit my first sharp bend and nearly came off the road, when l filled it up with gasoline l was shocked how cheap it was for such a big car. It would be great to drive to LHR in a Fiesta catch a plane to LAX and hire the same Fiesta what a great idea.

LOL!.I thought pretty much the same thing...grey screen here we come

LOL, Is that the way the Wizard of Oz deals with anything they don't like being posted here, maybe thats why l keep getting grey screens after all my posts.

Deanh you live somewhere in California gotta say that where l would like to go next, l like those off the beaten track type holidays everybody seems to do Alcatraz, watching sea lions in Frisco & Zoo etc gotta say l would find that boring, l would like to visit Area 51 how easy is it to get inside do they do tours?

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

LOL, Is that the way the Wizard of Oz deals with anything they don't like being posted here, maybe thats why l keep getting grey screens after all my posts.

Deanh you live somewhere in California gotta say that where l would like to go next, l like those off the beaten track type holidays everybody seems to do Alcatraz, watching sea lions in Frisco & Zoo etc gotta say l would find that boring, l would like to visit Area 51 how easy is it to get inside do they do tours?

Area 51 no big deal...just a whole bunch of cryo'ed George W's............