Joe Hinrichs, Ford Motor Co.,

I am surprise that no one has posted anything about the interview. :shades:

Autoline 1237 "Change"

A lot of info about Ford and the UAW in the EXTRA segment.

1237 "Extra"

What I heard from Joe Hinrichs, Group VP, Manufacturing, Ford Motor Co.

is Ford going to be more Ford "Europe" and less Ford North America.

More cuts in NA plants and big cuts in the NA white collar employees due to "over capacity" and a step toward a "Globe" Ford.

I would venture to say that in 8 years, the only platforms that will be "mostly North American" might be the F-series and the Mustang.

Edited by mettech

I would venture to say that in 8 years, the only platforms that will be "mostly North American" might be the F-series and the Mustang.

In 8 years? It's almost pretty much true already now. Ignore a few deathbed patients like Ranger, Explorer, and Panther, and there really isn't anything else that is strictly a "North American" product.

The big change is standardisation of fractile element construction and assembly processes.

This will enable Ford AUS to build Focus and Falcon down the same assembly line.

No doubt, vehicles like BOF SUVs and cars can also be built on the same line as CUVs and FWD sedans.

That has huge implications for North America, as Ford restructures its go forward plants

a lot of the single shift plants will no longer be needed.

What about CAP too?

Taurus/MKS/ Sable products could surely be built down a line at another plant - Mexico with CD3?

Or maybe Mustang gets shifted to CAP to bolster production and open up space for Mazda 6.

Well, with the investment that has been spent at Chicago, I would say it's more likely that product gets added there to make up for the smaller-than-expected volume as opposed to trying to move that volume elsewhere. Aren't there still rumors that the next Explorer would go to CAP?

I say the largest % decrease will come from the Ford NA white collar employee. Many more plants will need to close due to current and projected overcapacity.

If the dollar increases even more, Ford imports will hurt NA even more.

Any guess on what plants?

Four Assembly (to include St. Thomas)

One transmission

Two Stamping

One Powertrain

Two engine

Better hope that the dollar stays cheap compared to the Euro. :shades:

Ford Europe may be the next Japan. :ohsnap:

Well... they won't be importing anything from Europe. They'll be building it all here in North America. So, I don't know how many more plants they'd actually have to close other than those already disclosed.

I think it's safe to write off St. Thomas and Twin Cities. If for no other reason, I just don't see anything replacing what is being built there now. Of course, TCAP might see a reprieve if some of that $25B from the government can go toward turning it into a state-of-the-art plant capable of flex-producing some small, efficient vehicles. I don't think STAP is eligible for that money though, so I think that ticket is already punched.

With St. Thomas, anything's possible with the federal Canadian gov't. and the Ontario provincial government, if Ford has a vehicle to build there. The reason I say that is that politically, manufacturing jobb loss is top-of-mind with Ontario residents.

St. Thomas is probably toast, but strange things could happen. :)

I am surprise that no one has posted anything about the interview.

I listened to this interview today on my iPod. This is a must-listen for anybody who has an interest in the manufacturing part of engineering and building a car. Hinrichs clearly explained what Ford is planning to do regarding global product development and global manufacturing. This guy is a true manufacturing geek. Kind of refreshing actually, to hear somebody who enjoys the challenge ahead.

With St. Thomas, anything's possible with the federal Canadian gov't. and the Ontario provincial government, if Ford has a vehicle to build there. The reason I say that is that politically, manufacturing jobb loss is top-of-mind with Ontario residents.

St. Thomas is probably toast, but strange things could happen. :)

Is it possible an increase in production at OAC would offset the loss of STAP?