2010 Mustang GT500-KR "King of the Road" concept

Deanos75

Hey guys,

I'm new here but wanted to share something that I cooked up:

2010StangSketch72sm.jpg

After seeing a few early release partial teaser photos of the upcoming 2010 Mustang, and some spy photos of the possible GT500 version, it got me thinking. What if Ford continued the lineage of the "King of the Road" GT500-KR version onto the 2010 Mustang? What would it look like? We know that the 2005 Mustang was designed with the 1968 in mind. From the clues I saw in the teaser photos of the 2010, it seemed as though the 1969-70 Mustang GT500 would make a good starting point for my illustration.

The nose has been extended to cover the two round headlights and incorporates the bumper. The lower fascia is cut back with a gaping opening and fang-like brackets to support the lower spoiler. The hood harkens back to that on the 1970 GT500, with its four scoops and rear vents. The side scoops would be routed to help cool the big disc brakes hidden behind a modern version of the 1993 Mustang Cobra Turbine wheels. The final touch of nostalgia being the wide side stripe with the "GT500KR" tag on the front fender.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the comments! It was hard to get the modern look of the extended nose (similar to the '69-70 Shelbys) without it looking like the new Challenger. That was one reason that I cut the lower valance panel back to give it more of an actual bumper look. The spy photos showed the inner turn signal location and the slanted grill surround, so I took that basic outline and used it for the chrome grill insert.

Hey F-150, yeah, the hood is the one area that I still need to work on. I really like the current KR hood, but I didn't want to carry that one over, plus the '69-70 Shelby hood was completely different than the '68's.

Thanks for the comments, and keep them coming.

Dean

• 1 month later...
Hey guys,

2010StangSketch72sm.jpg

After seeing a few early release partial teaser photos of the upcoming 2010 Mustang, and some spy photos of the possible GT500 version, it got me thinking. What if Ford continued the lineage of the "King of the Road" GT500-KR version onto the 2010 Mustang? What would it look like? We know that the 2005 Mustang was designed with the 1968 in mind. From the clues I saw in the teaser photos of the 2010, it seemed as though the 1969-70 Mustang GT500 would make a good starting point for my illustration.

The nose has been extended to cover the two round headlights and incorporates the bumper. The lower fascia is cut back with a gaping opening and fang-like brackets to support the lower spoiler. The hood harkens back to that on the 1970 GT500, with its four scoops and rear vents. The side scoops would be routed to help cool the big disc brakes hidden behind a modern version of the 1993 Mustang Cobra Turbine wheels. The final touch of nostalgia being the wide side stripe with the "GT500KR" tag on the front fender.

Outstanding work. Yeah, my wife said "Chally" as well, but you're exactly right....lots of cues from the '70 with the NACA ducts and the narrow (short in height) grill treatment....looks awesome.

bj

Hey guys,

2010StangSketch72sm.jpg

Looks like shit...