engine light on already?

vichybrid

My orange engine light warning is on and stays on (since yesterday) I only have 500 miles on the car and haven't noticed anything wrong.

I left a message this morning for the dealer.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Not without knowing the code causing the CEL (check engine light). Not sure where you live but here in NJ AutoZone stores will let you borrow a code reader to pull the code for no charge.

A possibility (had this situation on another vehicle I owned and it was exactly that). But I thought the Escapes have the no gas cap feature?

Hi zoomlmk. :D Since vichybird does not mention what year they have (simply that there is only 500 miles on it), it could be a leftover 2008 or even 2007.

So as akirby stated, first check would be for a loose gas cap. If they open the filler door and there is no gas cap, it's off to the Dealer for service, since if it is something other than a loose gas cap, all us schlubs can do over the Internet is take wild guesses.

Good luck vichybird, hope it is something simple. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi rscalzo. :D If his vehicle has a "Check Gas Cap" light, then yes it should. :hysterical:

I guess the point is I was trying to get across is this: If it is not the gas cap (about the only thing he can personally check and correct himself), vichybird needs to take it in for Service. Taking an Internet poll will get him nowhere. We do not even know what year or model he has. Other than the obvious loose gas cap, everything else is just wild guesses over the Internet.

Absolutely no offense intended, just my opinion on Internet polls.

Good luck. :D

Edited by bbf2530

If I remember correctly, V is a pround owner of a new 09 FEH. If that is correct, then there is no gas cap to be lose or missing.

Hi twolostminds. :D Yes, if he has a 2009 that would sure be correct. There would be no gas cap to be loose or missing. Then as you stated, if he lives in NJ (like you and I) he can go to Autozone to have the codes pulled, then it is off to the Dealer to have the problem corrected.

If he does not live in NJ, (or even if he does) it is straight off to the Dealer for Service. Either way, it will entail a trip to the Dealer to correct the problem. I will assume you are correct and he has a 2009. Therefore his Escape is under Warranty. So the best course of action is a Service visit to correct whatever the problem is. And hopefully he has already heard back from the Dealership Service Department and they have scheduled that visit.

I certainly understand that he is nervous about a check engine light on his 500 mile old vehicle. We all would be. Just trying to guide him in the right direction.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530