2009 Fusion V6 oil filter

Hoops

The owners manual in my gf's 09 V6 Fusion lists a new oil filter compared to 08.

2009 owners manual lists FL-500S

2008 owners manual lists FL-820S

I noticed this as I was completing the first oil change. The oil filter that came on the car from the factory looks like the FL-820S, but is a plain wrapper with no markings on it. The Ford dealer recommends the FL-820S. I think the owners manual has an error in it. The diameter of the FL-500s is significantly smaller the the FL-820S.

Anyone experiance this problem or have a solution to it?

The owners manual in my gf's 09 V6 Fusion lists a new oil filter compared to 08.

I noticed this as I was completing the first oil change. The oil filter that came on the car from the factory looks like the FL-820S, but is a plain wrapper with no markings on it. The Ford dealer recommends the FL-820S. I think the owners manual has an error in it. The diameter of the FL-500s is significantly smaller the the FL-820S.

Check with the service department and see what they use. It's probably not a typo but even if it is and it's wrong - it's Ford's problem, not yours. If you use the 820s and something happens it could be your problem for not following the OM.

A change like this is usually done in conjunction with other changes to the engine or oil system or as an improvement of some sort. In other words there is usually a very good reason for them to change it.

• 1 month later...

I can attest to the confusion of which filter to use. I went to the parts dept. of the Ford dealer and initially was told that the FL-820S is the filter in the computer for the '09 V6. I then relayed that the owner's manual specifies the FL-500 s filter for the '09 models. If I had not asked for the FL-500 s filter, the dealer would have sold me the FL-820 s filter. Seems like the owner's manual requirements don't make it to the Ford parts departments. I do think that either filter will work fine as both of these filters show as being compatible for the 2008 models.

Edited by olmster

• 3 weeks later...
I can attest to the confusion of which filter to use. I went to the parts dept. of the Ford dealer and initially was told that the FL-820S is the filter in the computer for the '09 V6. I then relayed that the owner's manual specifies the FL-500 s filter for the '09 models. If I had not asked for the FL-500 s filter, the dealer would have sold me the FL-820 s filter. Seems like the owner's manual requirements don't make it to the Ford parts departments. I do think that either filter will work fine as both of these filters show as being compatible for the 2008 models.

olmster,

Which filter did you end up using? The FL-500S?

For awhile there I was thinking I was the only one with this problem that uses the internet!

This is also an issue with the 2009 Escapes:

the 2009 ford escape/mercury mariner/mazda tributes with a 3.0V6 get a new oil filter. the motorcraft number is FL-500S. the long number is AA5Z-6714-A.

Thats right from a Ford part guy.

On the Escapes, does it look like the FL-820S could fit?

Without inspection, my theory is the new 240HP 3.0L needs the new FL-500s. The 220HP and 200HP 3.0L always used the FL-820S, but for some reason (or mistake) the 09 Fusion owners manual lists the 500s. Either it doesn't really matter (since the car came from the factory with a plain wrapper 820s and the owners manual lists a 500s) or it is a mistake. As an engineer I'd guess it doesn't matter.

Also, as ane extra bit of info, all aftermarket oil filter manufacturers list the same oil filter for the Fusion from 06-09, they are not breaking out the 09 seperately.

• 2 months later...

I have a bit more information to add to this topic. I have a 2009 Sport 3.0L (220hp) and I just completed my first oil change. It had a generic (unbranded) filter from the factory and it was a slim filter, not a FL820-S. My owners manual indicates a FL500-S. Interestingly enough I had purchased a Motorcraft filter from Walmart and their listing showed the FL820-S. I always us Motorcraft filters on my Ford vehicles but I decided to do some checking and both Fram and Wix list their FL820-S equivalent for the 2009 3.0L. I had to try two Ford Dealers before I found an FL500-S. The dealer that I got it from said that you have to use the FL500-s, the FL820-S can't be substituted. Another interesting thing is that unbranded filter that I removed from the car is about 1/2" taller than the FL500-S that I got from the dealer.

Edited by Weathermaker01

I have a bit more information to add to this topic. I have a 2009 Sport 3.0L (220hp) and I just completed my first oil change. It had a generic (unbranded) filter from the factory and it was a slim filter, not a FL820-S. My owners manual indicates a FL500-S. Interestingly enough I had purchased a Motorcraft filter from Walmart and their listing showed the FL820-S. I always us Motorcraft filters on my Ford vehicles but I decided to do some checking and both Fram and Wix list their FL820-S equivalent for the 2009 3.0L. I had to try two Ford Dealers before I found an FL500-S. The dealer that I got it from said that you have to use the FL500-s, the FL820-S can't be substituted. Another interesting thing is that unbranded filter that I removed from the car is about 1/2" taller than the FL500-S that I got from the dealer.

According to my 09 MKZ owner's manual, the oil filter is FL-400-SB12. First time I've heard of this one.

According to my 09 MKZ owner's manual, the oil filter is FL-400-SB12. First time I've heard of this one.

Hi exrub. :D Just an FYI, so people do not become more confused than they already are: The MKZ (3.5L) is equipped with an entirely different engine than the Fusion/Milan (3.0L). The oil filter is also different.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi exrub. :D Just an FYI, so people do not become more confused than they already are: The MKZ (3.5L) is equipped with an entirely different engine than the Fusion/Milan (3.0L). The oil filter is also different.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Oops! My bad. :confused:

My brain has been malfunctioning lately. :hysterical::hysterical:

I was just reading the thread on the 2010 Fusion Sport and recalled it was getting the 3.5L that my MKZ has. So, when I went to this thread, I forgot that the 2009 has the 3.0L. :doh:

I apologize to anyone that may have been more confused by my entry.

I really need a vacation. :hysterical:

I am going to get a 2010 sport in a month or two but I downloaded the owners manual. Here is what they say: I lost the formatting but for both the 3.0 and 3.5 they are calling for the fl-500s. I don't recall what my contour used but I remember the factory one was thinner and I used a fatter one. I recall checking a site that discussed the anti-drain valve in the filter and they were both the same so all I did was add a litttle more oil to keep it up to the top.

Component 2.5L I4

engine

3.0L V6 engine 3.5L V6 engine

Air filter

element

FA-1785 FA-1786 FA-1884

Battery BXT-96-R BXT-96-R BXT-96-R

Oil filter FL-910 FL-500-S FL-500-S

Also found this:

Silicone Valve Oil Filters

Motorcraft® offers specially designed silicone components in the anti-drainback valves for oil filters FL-820S and FL-400S. The silicone valves retain flexibility throughout the life of the filter. This ensures better oil retention in the filter and faster engine start-up lubrication.

Edited by pcsgrp35se