The Final stand for the Bailout.

Reminds me of the Red Green show. They'd always introduce Mike Hamar as "an ex-con who's trying to get out from under his past"

These morons need to stop 1) dredging up the history of these companies while 2) demanding they change.

Frankly, with these idiots, what reward is there to Ford for changing the way it operates?

Doesn't matter that--as we cruise down the list of vehicles and classes

C-car : Class leading fuel economy

C-CUV : Class leading fuel economy

CD-car : 2010 Fusion/Milan Class leading fuel economy

CD-CUV : Okay, not so much (if you call the RAV4 a CD ute)

D-car : 1mpg off class leading

D-CUV : Class leading fuel economy

compact truck : Class leading fuel economy

full size truck : Class leading fuel economy

FORGET all that because "uh, you sold a lot of Explorers....."

Seriously, look at that list and tell me why these ca-ca headed poltroons insist on hitting Mulally about the head and shoulders with the 'fuel economy' brickbat?

Reminds me of the Red Green show. They'd always introduce Mike Hamar as "an ex-con who's trying to get out from under his past"

These morons need to stop 1) dredging up the history of these companies while 2) demanding they change.

Frankly, with these idiots, what reward is there to Ford for changing the way it operates?

Seriously, look at that list and tell me why these ca-ca headed poltroons insist on hitting Mulally about the head and shoulders with the 'fuel economy' brickbat?

It's pissing me off to hell. I hope Big Ale represents...

we have a name for it in the car business when someone is in a position of power that gos to their heads..."Manager-i-tuss"....and most sit there and take it for fear of burning abridge...what do you think the chances of financial aid would be if Mullally stood up called them all idiots that should get their facts straight and get me someone tnat knows what they are talikng about in 2008 not the 70's & 80's....

Edited by Deanh

Mr. Mullaly is right. Sharp guy, others have before and I have to second Bill Ford's ability to recognize that he needed someone else as CEO and that he recognized that Mr. Mullaly and that he stepped aside and let him do what he's been doing.

Edited by Fordowner

Should be Sen. Johnson from SD. And he's a Dem, so that's all off.

Sorry my mistake, think i must have typed a name after the switch in speakers. Whoever it was, was talking about the NY Times article suggesting Bankruptcy as the best choice and saying the U.S. auto business model is failed.

Edited by Fordowner

He did make comments as to the protectionism that is done by china and korea. He also talked about currency manipulation in the Asian markets.

Yes that was a good point of his. I wonder why he didn't include Japan since they also practice protectionism of their market and manipulation of their currency.

His main arguement for bankruptcy seems to be its better to screw workers over thus avoiding severance packages/costs for workers. I'm worried about the future if the race is on to get everyone's pay lower.

Edited by Fordowner

Yes that was a good point of his. I wonder why he didn't include Japan since they also practice protectionism of their market and manipulation of their currency.

His main arguement for bankruptcy seems to be its better to screw workers over thus avoiding severance packages/costs for workers. I'm worried about the future if the race is on to get everyone's pay lower.

A statement I heard recently by I believe someone in the this gsc conference held recently was that they cannot bring up the standard of living in third world and asian countries so the standard of living in the US must be lowered and we are witnessing that here.

A statement I heard recently by I believe someone in the this gsc conference held recently was that they cannot bring up the standard of living in third world and asian countries so the standard of living in the US must be lowered and we are witnessing that here.

Yes, that is the great debate, will everyone's boat rise to our level or are most of us in the Euro/US nations going to see our boats (standard of living) sink. I sure hope we figure out how to raise their standard of living since a democratic capitalist system depends on the majority being a healthy, happy and educated middle class.

That's what Henry Ford recognized and why he paid workers more. So am I witnessing the death of this concept and his company?

And that one senator having difficulty with the concept of the Auto Contracts requiring workers to be paid during plant shutdowns has me scratching my head. I realize the model has become more and more to hire and fire at a drop of the dime, but is job security that foreign to some senators?

Edited by Fordowner

Japan has had very little growth for the last 15 years. This is a result of an aging population (negative population growth), and little export growth. Most of their export growth is from China. Many of the Japanese goods now days are made in other countries. Sony makes T.V.s in the US. Sony ADR is also listed on the New York stock exchange, so it is partially owned by Americans. Many of the manufactured parts we get from Japanese companies are made cheaper Asian countries.

The value of Japanese currency has actually been rising for the last 35 years. It has had a sudden huge rise in the last few months as a result of the unravaling of the carry trade. The government only wants to manipulate it now just to undo the current temporary rise.