Oil change questions for 09 V6 Escape

WW2

I believe the owners manual recommends 7,500 miles before the first oil change..I dont want to wait that long, especially the first one..I am having trouble finding a filter in an auto parts store or Wa-mart, I didnt think the engine upgrades on the V6 for 09 would change the oil filter but evidently it did..

Also, Is the reasoning for Ford switching to a 5w-20 oil viscosity because of manufacturing tolerances or just to improve gas mileage...If its just for mileage, would it hurt anything to use a 5w-30 for better protection ????

Any ideas ????

5w-20 recommended by Ford is a synthetic blend. If you plan on running 5w-30, make sure you are running synthetic blend as well. Running 5w-20 is not going to hurt you in any way possible. Running 5w-30 in your engine may hurt you if something major happens to your engine while under warranty and Ford discovers you are not running the required grade.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe the owners manual recommends 7,500 miles before the first oil change..I dont want to wait that long, especially the first one..I am having trouble finding a filter in an auto parts store or Wa-mart, I didnt think the engine upgrades on the V6 for 09 would change the oil filter but evidently it did..

Also, Is the reasoning for Ford switching to a 5w-20 oil viscosity because of manufacturing tolerances or just to improve gas mileage...If its just for mileage, would it hurt anything to use a 5w-30 for better protection ????

Any ideas ????

If you read your owners manual, I am sure that you will see that the 7,500 mi interval is reduced by using the car in "severe" conditions. These usually include short trips, stop and go traffic in addition the usual towing, dust, heat, uphill conditions. Basically if you start your car ONCE, drive it without towing and not fully loaded on level ground CONTINUOUSLY without stopping for 7,500 mi through cool, clean air, you can change you oil every 7,500 mi.

i did mine after the first 1000km then at 6000km

yes switch to 5-20 full synthetic as for the filter you will have to go to the dealership until there is demand by the aftermarket ....seems as the Mustang will fit model 500 filter..but i'm not positive

i did mine after the first 1000km then at 6000km

yes switch to 5-20 full synthetic as for the filter you will have to go to the dealership until there is demand by the aftermarket ....seems as the Mustang will fit model 500 filter..but i'm not positive

filter is dealer only ?

sideways

• 1 month later...

just did mine again at 11,000 km still no aftermarket but did pay $6.83 with my employee discount

so thats not bad at all

but watch out even the dealer gets messed up with this new filter ...tried to give me one for the 08

• 1 month later...

Purolator L22500.

It looks to me that the FL500S and FL820S are identical in mounting face and thread pitch. I am getting rid of about half a dozen 03 3.0Ls and have more 09s coming in. I'll see if the FL820S will even go in there. I know on the 08s, the oil filter access is a huge pain the arse.

• 3 weeks later...
Purolator L22500.

It looks to me that the FL500S and FL820S are identical in mounting face and thread pitch. I am getting rid of about half a dozen 03 3.0Ls and have more 09s coming in. I'll see if the FL820S will even go in there. I know on the 08s, the oil filter access is a huge pain the arse.

For those who have done it themselves on the first change....was the factory filter on tight as all hell and basicly ended up a mangled mess with a screw driver stabbed through it by the time you got it off as is typical on a lot of new cars? I think I may let the dealer do the first oil change strictly because of that this time around. I typicly do ALL my own work if I can help it. Heh, In fact even with no charge warranty work, I'd still do it myself if I could get away with them just letting me have the parts I need/they would change anyways. Anyhow, the handfull of first on a new car oil changes I have done....getting the filter off always manages to piss me off by the time it is said and done. haha.

I am another one who takes a new vehicle back to the dealership for the first oil & filter change for the exact same reason you stated. Although it cost more than when I do it myself, it's worth it for the first change. Also, they inspect the underside for any potential problems while it is up on the rack.

We have a very good family owned Ford dealership in our area with an excellent service department. That's what keeps us loyal Ford fans.

Edited by 4d2

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from the dealer for my first oil change. They used a FL 820 SB12 filter. Is this correct ? I was under the impression that there was a new model filter for the 09 3.0 V6.... Should I be concerned ????

I just returned from the dealer for my first oil change. They used a FL 820 SB12 filter. Is this correct ? I was under the impression that there was a new model filter for the 09 3.0 V6.... Should I be concerned ????

HI WW2. :D The specification chart in your Owners Manual states that the V-6 oil filter is the Motorcraft "FL-500-S".

Obviously, you will get conflicting information here, so return to the Dealership with your Owners Manual and point out the discrepancy. Let them explain what the story is. Or call them if you don't have the time to go to the Dealership in person.

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck. :beerchug:

that is the wrong filter

go back to your dealer

as for the filter tightness..normal just used a regular oil filter wrench to take off ........i hope all you guys did not wait till 6k for the first change ....there is an a lot of metal shavings floating around in there

first change should be 1-2 k

change to full synthetic

if you do it yourself you can do it all for $35 and know its done right

I am another one who takes a new vehicle back to the dealership for the first oil & filter change for the exact same reason you stated. Although it cost more than when I do it myself, it's worth it for the first change. Also, they inspect the underside for any potential problems while it is up on the rack.

We have a very good family owned Ford dealership in our area with an excellent service department. That's what keeps us loyal Ford fans.

Until your factory warranty is up, go to your FORD DEALER!!!

Her's why.

If you have ANY little problem with the motor they will not honor your warranty or will make your life miserable.

Also, the ford dealer will update any factory computer flashes, updates or recalls.

When I had my '04 F-250 PSD I took it to the dealer, who charged me $78.00 for an oil change.

My neighbor, who had an '04 PSD F-250 and did it himself. It cost him $76.00

So far, after three oil changes, we have not had to pay at all. We got a complimentary one because we bought our '09 Escape there. We went to our dealer's '09 F-150 unveiling and won a raffle for a free oil change. A few weeks ago we were invited to attend a seminar about how to get the most out of our new Ford and were given a free oil change.

The moral of the story is... find out how much your ford dealer wants and compare it to Jiffy Lube, then decide.

Until your factory warranty is up, go to your FORD DEALER!!!

Her's why.

If you have ANY little problem with the motor they will not honor your warranty or will make your life miserable.

Ford has to honor the warranty. Period. Doesn't matter who does the service. There are laws about this. Many other reputable places out there besides the Ford garage.

Update...I called the parts dept and had them look it up. You are correct the FL820s was WRONG. It should have been the FL 500 He transfered me back to the service advisor, after being on hold for a while he came back on the phone and asked me to bring it back in that they had made a mistake. The ONLY reason I caught it was I had been reading this forum. 99 out of a 100 people would have never known. The Service manager told me that the filters were nearly identical that the canister size was slightly different probably to allow less pooling in the filter and that it really wouldnt have hurt anything.

Thats not the point. I cant believe the DEALER would make such a mistake. I will be changing my own oil from now on, even if it costs the same. It is hard to trust anyone with your vehicle these days....

Has anyone done their own on the V6 ??? Is the filter hard to get to etc ????

as for the filter tightness..normal just used a regular oil filter wrench to take off ........i hope all you guys did not wait till 6k for the first change ....there is an a lot of metal shavings floating around in there

If you are worried about metal shavings, what about every other part of the vehicle that contains a liquid? Rear differential of a 4WD, transfer case, transmission, engine coolant, etc.

If you are worried about metal shavings, what about every other part of the vehicle that contains a liquid? Rear differential of a 4WD, transfer case, transmission, engine coolant, etc.

yes changed all @ 10k

no i did first oil chnage at 1k then all next at 6k then all fluids at 10k

will do brake fluid at 1 year

people wonder why there vehicles don't last ...they never take care of them

in my stable now

01 Pt Cruiser 155k

97 TJ 260k

93 Talon 350k

94 Topaz 120k

09 Escape 11k

86 Gixxer 38k

77 RD 28k (miles)

06 Ducati 16k

all are perfect except the Topaz which is rusting from inside out even with rustproofing

no i did first oil chnage at 1k then all next at 6k then all fluids at 10k

will do brake fluid at 1 year

people wonder why there vehicles don't last ...they never take care of them

in my stable now

01 Pt Cruiser 155k

97 TJ 260k

93 Talon 350k

94 Topaz 120k

09 Escape 11k

86 Gixxer 38k

77 RD 28k (miles)

06 Ducati 16k

all are perfect except the Topaz which is rusting from inside out even with rustproofing

Anything that might have metal chips from a machining operation would/could be a problem from day one, so why would you wait for a certain milage point?? At a 1K, 6K or 10K the damage would have been done by then anyway.

You take it to a extreme! You might be forgetting one thing though. If your worried about metal chips, think about anything that is greased at assembly.