2007 Nissan Altima

BORG

If you ask me Nissan has the corporate nose thing down to a science. The Versa, Altima, Quest, and Maxima all have very similar snouts, just goes to show you that brand DNA does work in some cases.

Borg I do agree regarding the interior, it still looks as if it's not there all the way, although keyless go is a nice added feature.

Some weird things I spotted on this vehicle...Supposedly the I-4, makes less power than last years version. A CVT will be standard to replace automatics, the 3.5L V6 will make more power than the Maxima, the wheelbase shrinks a bit instead of the industry average of increasing it...

The last gen of both the Maxima and the Altima were off target. Maxima got much more expensive and less popular then the fantastic car before it. Altima outgrew its inital concept and quality suffered from 'stretching' everything too thin. Now they put the Altima in the Maxima's old spot and the fully loaded for under $18K idea of the orginal completely disappeared. The concept was all the options and close to midsize but for much less then Camry/Accord. Looks like a bunch of hard plastic textured and painted parts destined to look like shit in one year of use soldier on in the interior..... Its ok I guess. Wouldn't take one sale from an Accord buyer though. Now nissan doesnt have anything worth a shit under $25k in the market..

I also think the orignal wedge(although the steel was paper thin and the plastic super cheap) had a much better shape to it. A lot of the design is relying on the four hideous gigantic clear plastic boxes glued on the corners, I didnt know there was a contest for most gigantic headlight housings. This also looks more piecemeal, with an eclipse looking feature line and the obnoxious cheeky rear bumper from the accord-if you're going to steal design ideas, steal GOOD ones :idea: .. But Nissan and DCX do show how fast you can change designs when you have the RIGHT ENGINES waiting on the shelves.

Edited by kevinb120

the maxima and altima are boring. boring. boring. boring. nothing at all to make you turn your head except that godawful grill on the maxima. i know it's a matter of personal taste, but i would take a five hundred or an impala any day of the week over those boring cars.

i agree that even the accord is more interesting.

The last gen of both the Maxima and the Altima were off target. Maxima got much more expensive and less popular then the fantastic car before it. Altima outgrew its inital concept and quality suffered from 'stretching' everything too thin. Now they put the Altima in the Maxima's old spot and the fully loaded for under $18K idea of the orginal completely disappeared. The concept was all the options and close to midsize but for much less then Camry/Accord. Looks like a bunch of hard plastic textured and painted parts destined to look like shit in one year of use soldier on in the interior..... Its ok I guess. Wouldn't take one sale from an Accord buyer though. Now nissan doesnt have anything worth a shit under $25k in the market..

I also think the orignal wedge(although the steel was paper thin and the plastic super cheap) had a much better shape to it. A lot of the design is relying on the four hideous gigantic clear plastic boxes glued on the corners, I didnt know there was a contest for most gigantic headlight housings. This also looks more piecemeal, with an eclipse looking feature line and the obnoxious cheeky rear bumper from the accord-if you're going to steal design ideas, steal GOOD ones :idea: .. But Nissan and DCX do show how fast you can change designs when you have the RIGHT ENGINES waiting on the shelves.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ford may not have the powertrains for now, but Nissan sure continues to lag in terms of quality.

I just don't see much to get excited about. The styling looks very evolutionary to me and the interior has a Pontiac kind of look to it, especially the center stack. What's going to be so exciting about this vehicle when every other midsize sedan also has ~265hp? What made the Altima such a great vehicle was first and foremost the drivetrain. Now the competition has that matched. Then there's the styling, but this 2007 doesn't really look better than the current generation. Eh, looks are subjective.

Guest Sixcav

I know taste is subjective, but to me the front end of the new Maxima is flat out ugly. I must not be the only one that feels that way because sales of the Maxima are way down from where they were just a few years ago. This new front end on the Altima just reminds me of the Maxima. I wouldn't buy this car. That combined with the fact that as someone pointed out, Nissan ups the price of the Altima a little every year. To get a decently well equipped Altima now you have to spend 25 to 26K. Hell that's not worth it for a damn Altima. Not to mention Nissan quality isn't what it once was. They are ranked well below the industury standard for long term reliability. I'd buy a Pontiac G6 before I'd buy this thing.

hell, yes, i'd buy a G6 before an altima any day. and i'd buy an impala before a maxima.

...not because they're american, necessarily, moreso because the nissan's are----nothing! they have nothing, style-wise. at least the american cars have some sort of style, a connection with other pontiacs and chevy's that are recognizable.

Thing I dont get is why people are giving Nissan a free ride on the new 07 Altmia and Maxima, when they look nearly identical to one another...what gives? People crucify Ford for sharing a 3 bar grill style, yet it has variations on each vehicle its used on :dunno:

Thing I dont get is why people are giving Nissan a free ride on the new 07 Altmia and Maxima, when they look nearly identical to one another...what gives? People crucify Ford for sharing a 3 bar grill style, yet it has variations on each vehicle its used on :dunno:

Well it's OK for Nissan and not for Ford. The Nissan grille is very distinctive, and the 3 bar Ford uses is outdated and fugly :banghead: .

The Altima also joins the Camry with push-button start. If you want the same feature in a Ford, you'll have to wait a few years for the MKS (a car $10,000+ more expensive). Perhaps by 2012, Ford will have finally adopted remote start and push button start in its mid-range products.

Edited by BORG

....and that's an ADVANCEMENT? a push-button starter? what is the big deal about that?

wow, the things car buyers consider when buying a car boggles my mind.

Yeah, I don't get it. All it is is a "gee-whiz" feature, nothing more. You still need to put a key in, you still need to have the key, so what does it really do for the driving experience? Not a thing.

....and that's an ADVANCEMENT? a push-button starter? what is the big deal about that?

wow, the things car buyers consider when buying a car boggles my mind.

Honestly, I was impressed with keyless go and touch entry at one point. That was until I drove a Mazdaspeed Mazda 6 with it, and thereafter I was left scratching my head as to what the big deal was. I still think it is sort of a neat feature, but not something that I'm willing to shell out several hundred bucks for.

Well it's OK for Nissan and not for Ford. The Nissan grille is very distinctive, and the 3 bar Ford uses is outdated and fugly :banghead: .

I guess its a matter of personal prefance, but it still doesnt take way from the fact that 3/4 of the rest of the cars look nearly identical?

Ummm...we are talking about cars here right? So a push button start is unreasonable? There are HUNDREDS of conveniences on a car that are unimportant but we demand them anyway. It's a product bought and sold on features, functional or not. You want to sell cars, you better learn to include popular features. It's the nature of consumer technology.

It figures some in here equate convenience and technology with feminization, as if it's more manly to use a key over a high-tech IR fob and push-button. I love technology but I had no idea I could be accused of being girly because of it! :banghead:

Guest Sixcav

The military has been using keyless starting systems on many of their vehicles for literally decades. All those Humvees you see in Iraq and such, no keys, they start by pushing a switch. The same with 2 1/2 ton trucks that have been around since the 1940's. It's nothing new, it's nothing exciting, its just the lastest gimmick. Like good little sheep the masses will praise as the latest advance in automotive technology.

Edited by Sixcav

Speaking of ignitions... Remember when years ago...the ignition cylinder was located on the steering wheel on the majority of vehicles, then the trend to relocate them onto the dashboard became the trend?

I've noticed that at that time, I would never hear the keys swinging, or have them hit anything. Now with this new "trend" that supposedly is more convinient because...I'm guessing a majority of stupid people couldn't figure out where to stick the damn key and kept missing. Although in my car (and a few others) I'm noticing the keys are constantly hitting/slamming/making noise on turns..braking..potholes..speedbumps. Not sure if it's sooo much of an improvement.

IN this case, I welcome the push ignition switch.

But let's face it, if Ford is having a hard time supplying an AUX output on their radios, or Bluetooth capabilities for that matter, imagine how long before Push Ignition switches are phased in ?