Will Fusion get Duratec 35

Roadkill

I'm somewhat looking for a new car. I want a Mustang, but 3-year old twins and a 28 mile commute (each way) make that impractical. I really like the Fusion - my parents have one, and I have a Mazda 6 that I love. The current Fusion doesn't give me anyhthing the 6 doesn't have, so it's hard to justify one to the spousal unit. If the Fusion got the 265 hp 3.5, I get excitement + practicality at the same (or possibly better) gas mileage. I win, and she doesn't mind at all.

When I ask any Ford person (I only have access to salespeople or car show reps), they deny my Fusion 3.5 will ever be made. It seems a pretty common topic on these forums. Does anyone here know for sure or are they just fantasizing like me? If it will happen in the next year, I can wait, but otherwise I might sink a few $$$ in the 6 3.0 for more excitement.

Yea, I think people have spread some rumors, and there's been lots of wishful thinking around here, I just haven't seen anything concrete.

Hopefully somebody who is in the know will let us all know soon.

It's going in the Lincoln, Ford's competition is outgunning them big time, it would be best for Ford to not wait until 08 when everybody has forgotten about the Fusion.

That's too bad. I like the MKZ, too, but it might be too pricey for my budget, even with Z plan.

So Nissan will continue to get all the guys like me who want near- Mustang performance but need 4 doors. I really like the Altima SE-R but can't stomach buying a Nissan. I felt guilty buying a Mazda, but since they are controlled by Ford it has a Ford engine, I gave in.

That's too bad. I like the MKZ, too, but it might be too pricey for my budget, even with Z plan.

So Nissan will continue to get all the guys like me who want near- Mustang performance but need 4 doors. I really like the Altima SE-R but can't stomach buying a Nissan. I felt guilty buying a Mazda, but since they are controlled by Ford it has a Ford engine, I gave in.

The MKZ gets the 3.5L as standard equipment starting with September production. The Fusion and Milan I'm sure will get the 3.5, the only question is when.

The Edge, MKS, MKZ, CX-9 are all getting the 3.5 first, then the 500/Montego/Freestyle get it in Spring 07.

The Fusion / Milan and Mustang will get it....for 08?

I would like to see the MazdaSpeed6 2.3 turbo in it with a 6-speed manual.

I agree. I'm looking seriously at the MazdaSpeed 6 but would rather buy a Ford product. Once again, I wonder why the "mother ship" can't offer some of the performance features of its satellite companies. BTW, the AWD would be nice, along with the turbo & 6spd gearbox.

For 54 additional HP. the Mazdaspeed 6 is less than a second quicker to 60 than the 6s. The AWD and chassis stiffening add close to 400 lbs. I would like the 3.5 w/o AWD to save the weight. I hope some magazine does a MKZ 3.5 vs Mazdaspeed 6 comparison.

There was a Job 1 date list posted around here sometime ago that said the Fusion/Milan/Zephyr would get the 3.5 in MY 2007 while the 500/Montego would have to wait for MY 2008.

I've always had a hard time believing the Fusion/Milan would get the 3.5L engine but if the demand is there and Ford discovers people are willing to pay $27,000+ for a Fusion/Milan, then perhaps we'll see it happen. I'm sure engine suppy will become an issue initially so priority is given to the Edge/MKX/MKZ...and then Freestyle/500/Montego.

Edited by BORG

I think Ford needs to stop being conservative and put the 3.5L in the Fusion and Milan and stay ahead of the competition instead of always chasing the competition.

And they will...when production can handle it. I'd rather see Ford take the slow-and-steady-improvement route instead of trying to introduce everything all at once like gangbusters and run into a pile of recalls when things don't go as planned. The Japanese didn't win over the domestic sedan market by being dominant right away. They did it through slow improvement. I believe that's the only way Ford can win back any of that market as well.

And they will...when production can handle it. I'd rather see Ford take the slow-and-steady-improvement route instead of trying to introduce everything all at once like gangbusters and run into a pile of recalls when things don't go as planned. The Japanese didn't win over the domestic sedan market by being dominant right away. They did it through slow improvement. I believe that's the only way Ford can win back any of that market as well.

THose are excellent points. I just hope Ford is working on getting a second 3.5 plant into production ASAP. lima can't handle the demand if we are to put it into 3/4 of a million vehicles or whatever it was.

THose are excellent points. I just hope Ford is working on getting a second 3.5 plant into production ASAP. lima can't handle the demand if we are to put it into 3/4 of a million vehicles or whatever it was.

I was under the belief that Cleveland Engine Plant#1 was also going to make the Duratec35 Cyclone!

• 3 weeks later...
I was under the belief that Cleveland Engine Plant#1 was also going to make the Duratec35 Cyclone!

I just read somewhere yesterday that Cleveland #1 would get the 3.5 and the capacity will be a whopping 500,000 units. #2 was getting an updated 3.0 and the casting plant would get the new V8. 3500 jobs... saved.

I just looked at the 07 Fusion order guide and the only changes coming are optional AWD, and navigation, and they are job 2, the 3.5 will not even be an option for 07 at least. They better bring it out for an erly 08 release or they are in big trouble.

I just looked at the 07 Fusion order guide and the only changes coming are optional AWD, and navigation, and they are job 2, the 3.5 will not even be an option for 07 at least. They better bring it out for an erly 08 release or they are in big trouble.

One thing I've seen from Mark Fields so far is that he's decisive. He turned the Hurricane program around quickly, and apparently is now on the verge of expanding SVT's footprint after realizing the mistake he made when announcing a two vehicle performance strategy back in Jan. That gives me hope the Fusion/Milan will get the 3.5. If it doesn't it's only because of initial capacity, and in that case the "improved" 3.0 will go into the twins. As long as the horsepower is increased by 30 as the rumor has it, it will be competitive with the "camcord" (while running on 87 octane). Field's won't let the cars get behind in the segment, they're too important to the company's future.