The Wisdom of George W. Bush

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George Bush goes to a primary school to talk to the kids to get a little PR. After his talk he offers question time. One little boy puts up his hand and George asks him his name. "Stanley," responds the little boy.

"And what is your question, Stanley?" "I have four questions." First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN? Second,why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? Fourth, why are we so worried about gay marriage when 1/2 of all Americans don't have health insurance? Just then, the bell rings for recess.

George Bush inform the kids that they will continue after recess. When they resume George says, "OK, where were we? Oh, that's right, question time. Who has a question?" Another little boy puts up his hand. George points him out and asks him his name. "Steve" he responds. "And what is your question, Steve?" "Actually, I have six questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN? Second,why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? Fourth, why are we so worried about gay marriage when 1/2 of all Americans don't have health insurance? Fifth, why did the recess bell go off 20 minutes early? And sixth, what the hell happened to Stanley?"

George Bush goes to a primary school to talk to the kids to get a little PR. After his talk he offers question time. One little boy puts up his hand and George asks him his name. "Stanley," responds the little boy.

"And what is your question, Stanley?" "I have four questions." First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN? Second,why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? Fourth, why are we so worried about gay marriage when 1/2 of all Americans don't have health insurance? Just then, the bell rings for recess.

George Bush inform the kids that they will continue after recess. When they resume George says, "OK, where were we? Oh, that's right, question time. Who has a question?" Another little boy puts up his hand. George points him out and asks him his name. "Steve" he responds. "And what is your question, Steve?" "Actually, I have six questions. First, why did the USA invade Iraq without the support of the UN? Second,why are you President when Al Gore got more votes? Third, whatever happened to Osama Bin Laden? Fourth, why are we so worried about gay marriage when 1/2 of all Americans don't have health insurance? Fifth, why did the recess bell go off 20 minutes early? And sixth, what the hell happened to Stanley?"

I have a 7th question: Will the left still be making GW Bush jokes a year from now to distract the public from the mess Obama is making of things?

I hope not. Just as I hope the Right will not blame Obama for everything he inherited. I'll probably be disappointed on both counts.

The only thing I think we can agree on is that despite Obama's campaign platform of "change" in Washington (hell, doesn't every candidate run on that platform these days? Obama did take it to new levels though), we're going to be saddled with another 4 years of the same ol' shit.

I have a 7th question: Will the left still be making GW Bush jokes a year from now to distract the public from the mess Obama is making of things?

Well, let's see. . . Bill Clinton still gets regular jokes, esp by the late night guys . . . and that is 8 years later . . . and with a fellow that rendered so much fodder for daily Letterman's "Great Moments" every night (for 8 years) in office.

Yep, my guess is that you might as well get used to it. The number of jokes may be proportional to amount of material that was presented (for jokes) and the length of time that it was presented (8 years).

I hope not. Just as I hope the Right will not blame Obama for everything he inherited. I'll probably be disappointed on both counts.

Much of the source of this mess extends back to the Clinton years, but the Left forgets that. But then, amnesia never did respect political ideology...especially the selective variety that rears it head in any discussion of politics and history.

Much of the source of this mess extends back to the Clinton years, but the Left forgets that. But then, amnesia never did respect political ideology...especially the selective variety that rears it head in any discussion of politics and history.

Oh really? So Clinton made Bush and the neo-conservative gang invent reasons for invading another sovereign nation?

Clinton "forced" the BA into ignoring all the warnings of an imminent terrorist attack in 2001?

Clinton made the BA de-regulate everything leading to the current economic mess we're in?

Clinton made Bush fail to respond to Katrina?

Clinton made Bush appoint nothing but hacks, crooks, and incompetent fools to virtually every agency in the government?

Clinton made Bush illegally spy on the country?

Clinton forced the BA to use torture techniques we used to consider war crimes?

Wow, it isn't amnesia that's the problem, it's the delusion the far right suffers from where they believe that Clinton somehow made Bush do, or not do, all of the above.

I've always found it funny how Republicans like to call themselves "the party of personal responsibility", when the opposite is true, more like the party of NO responsibility. Pass the buck should be their official motto.

Edited by Blueblood

Well, let's see. . . Bill Clinton still gets regular jokes, esp by the late night guys . . . and that is 8 years later . . . and with a fellow that rendered so much fodder for daily Letterman's "Great Moments" every night (for 8 years) in office.

Yep, my guess is that you might as well get used to it. The number of jokes may be proportional to amount of material that was presented (for jokes) and the length of time that it was presented (8 years).

Frankly, I was tired of Clinton jokes long before he left office also. Even having all-around flops as our last two presidents, I still think there should be some semblance of respect held for those who hold the office.

Oh really? So Clinton made Bush and the neo-conservative gang invent reasons for invading another sovereign nation?

Clinton "forced" the BA into ignoring all the warnings of an imminent terrorist attack in 2001?

Clinton made the BA de-regulate everything leading to the current economic mess we're in?

Clinton made Bush appoint nothing but hacks, crooks, and incompetent fools to virtually every agency in the government?

Wow, it isn't amnesia that's the problem, it's the delusion the far right suffers from where they believe that Clinton somehow made Bush do, or not do, all of the above.

I've always found it funny how Republicans like to call themselves "the party of personal responsibility", when the opposite is true, more like the party of NO responsibility. Pass the buck should be their official motto.

What a lovely scripted response. Do you do parties?

Edited by NickF1011

Frankly, I was tired of Clinton jokes long before he left office also. Even having all-around flops as our last two presidents, I still think there should be some semblance of respect held for those who hold the office.

Scripted or not, he's right. Clinton isn't responsible for Bush's 8 years in the Whitehouse

Scripted response?

What's the matter, not any wild-eyed conspiracy theories for you? Maybe you could check in to see what Fox news is saying?

There are those of us who live in reality, and use our brains, and know simple little things about the world around us, like who the hell has been in the white house destroying this country the past 8 years. And there are the clueless drones, rambling on about Al Gore and crazy conspiracies, and whining about people criticizing the worst administration in the nations history.

I'm sorry your total lack of honesty, desire for truth, and ethics are thrown aside for the party, why don't you back up your claims with some hard facts? How about you refute anything I've said? Go ahead and try to pin it on Clinton, no doubt the other conspiracy theorists here will try.

Willful ignorance is an ugly thing..

Edited by Blueblood

Scripted response?

What's the matter, not any wild-eyed conspiracy theories for you? Maybe you could check in to see what Fox news is saying?

There are those of us who live in reality, and use our brains, and know simple little things about the world around us, like who the hell has been in the white house destroying this country the past 8 years. And there are the clueless drones, rambling on about Al Gore and crazy conspiracies, and whining about people criticizing the worst administration in the nations history.

I'm sorry your total lack of honesty, desire for truth, and ethics are thrown aside for the party, why don't you back up your claims with some hard facts? How about you refute anything I've said? Go ahead and try to pin it on Clinton, no doubt the other conspiracy theorists here will try.

It's not a matter of believing in conspiracies or living in reality. It's a matter of not carrying the party line when it comes to insulting whoever is in office. And for the love of God, not everyone who disagrees with someone on the left is a Fox-News-loving-Karl-Rove-worshipping right wing freak. I'm a registered Independent. Not sure how many times that needs to be said on this board. Hell, if you've paid any bit of attention, you'd see I've defending the off-base attacks against Obama just as strongly.

Scripted response?

:hysterical:

Have you spent any meaningful time outside of the USA? :shades:

Here's a lesson in Recent American History 101:

Regarding efforts to thwart the 9/11 attacks, it was Clinton appointee Jamie Gorelick who told the CIA that it could not take information regarding suspected terrorist activity to the FBI, citing the firewall between the two agencies that had been set up during the Watergate Era.

She didn't set up the firewall - blaming her or the Clinton Administration for its creation is erroneous - but one wonders, in the view of this, just how important fighting terrorists was to the Clinton Administration. Especially in view of the fact that the first World Trade Center bombing occurred just after Clinton took office for his first term, and the bombing of both the USS Cole and the American embassies in Africa occurred later in the 1990s, and Bin Laden had already issued his infamous decree urging Muslims to wage war against the United States. One can logically ask WHY the Clinton Administration didn't advocate the removal of this firewall, given that it was certainly obvious by 1999 that the U.S. was a big target for Bin Laden, and he had openly declared war on the United States, and urged Muslims to attack both the country and its interests around the globe. Effective intelligence would be crucial to fighting this threat.

This all happened BEFORE George W. Bush took office.

The idea that the present economic mess is the result of deregulation is nonsense. If anything, it's more the result of good intentions gone awry and government meddling.

It was the Clinton Administration that used the already existing Community Reinvestment Act to require banks to lend to poor minority communities, or face charges of racism (and denial of merger applications, or outright sanctions). This basically required lenders to lower credit standards. Eventually greed took over - the domestic auto industry and Mitsubishi, for example, jumped on the bandwagon and began offering credit for new cars to anyone with a pulse. But it was the Clinton Administration that planted this seed.

The answer, of course, is a return to tighter lending standards, but those tend to deny low-income minorities access to credit. Which leads to the cry of "racism" and "redlining" (note that it isn't right wingers making that claim).

And it was Clinton friend Franklin Raines who looted Fannie Mae, which, in many ways, was the first domino to fall. Please note that he was appointed in 1999 - before Bush took office.

Bush warned in his 2001 budget that Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, as government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs), were overleveraged and too large, and that their failure could have a huge impact on not only financial markets and the entire economy. Bush actually wanted to REGULATE these GSEs. Guess who opposed him? Try Christopher Dodd, Barney Frank, Charles Schumer and Maxine Waters.

Last time I checked, they weren't Republicans, or part of the Bush Administration.

The housing boom was fueled by the repeal of in the capital gains tax on amounts up to $250,000 (single) or $500,000 (married and filing a joint return) from the sale of a primary residence. This was passed in 1997 during the CLINTON Administration. It was, perhaps, noble in intent - for many people, their home is their primary asset, so they need every cent when it is sold - but it also helped encourage speculation in real estate by making it a more attractive investment.

There was one bit of deregulation - the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. Except, of course, that it was passed in 1999, while CLINTON was president, and it helped prevent the current crisis from getting worse, by removing the prohibition against certain financial institutions acquiring other, different type of financial institutions. So, it was a DEREGULATORY ACT that helped prevent the spread of this crisis.

The current economic mess, of course, includes the near-collapse of GM, Ford and Chrysler. Except that those companies have been sick for YEARS, and were not pulling in consistent profits even when new-vehicle sales were in the 16 million range. If anything, they contributed to the current mess by overproducing for the market, thanks to job-protection provisions in the UAW contract, and by offering hefty incentives to move the metal. They relied heavily on subprime loans to move the metal. They simply oversaturated the market, and that is their fault, not the Bush Administration's fault. Unless the Bush Administration required them to include the Jobs Bank provision in the UAW contract. Last time I checked, it was there BEFORE he took office.

A big part of the reason these companies are in trouble is because they have built, with few exceptions, products that are inferior to the Japanese, German and Korean competition. I don't recall the Bush Administration designing any domestic vehicles, formulated their market plans, or forcing them to rely on light trucks and ignore passenger cars.

Customers have realized this - hence, the erosion of their market share over the years.

I realize that, based on your snide remarks directed at people who buy foreign vehicles, you aren't very sophisticated about what constitutes a superior vehicle, but your allegiance to the domestics in general and Ford in particular is blinding you to the real cause of their troubles.

Sorry, but blaming this all on Bush is simplistic and shows a basic ignorance of recent history, and won't sit too well in discussions with those who have been paying attention.

As for Katrina - disaster recovery is primarily the responsibility of STATE and LOCAL governments. The federal government does not have the authority to intervene in a state emergency without the request of a governor. President Bush declared an emergency prior to Katrina hitting New Orleans, so the only action needed for federal assistance was for Governor Blanco to request the specific type of assistance she needed. She failed to send a timely request for specific aid.

In addition, unlike the governors of other states, Governor Blanco failed to take charge of the situation and ensure that the state emergency operation facility was in constant contact with Mayor Nagin and FEMA. It is likely that thousands of people died because of her failure to implement the state plan, which mentions the possible need to evacuate up to 1 million people. The plan clearly gives the governor the authority for declaring an emergency, sending in state resources to the disaster area and requesting necessary federal assistance.

When Hurricane Ivan approached the city ONE YEAR BEFORE Katrina hit, New Orleans ordered an evacuation but did not use city or school buses to help people evacuate. As a result many of the poorest citizens were unable to evacuate. The hurricane changed course and did not hit New Orleans, but both the governor and Mayor Nagin acknowledged the need for a better evacuation plan. Again, they did not take corrective actions. In 1998, during a threat by Hurricane George, 14,000 people were sent to the Superdome and theft and vandalism were rampant due to inadequate security. Once again, nothing was done.

Mayor Nagin was responsible for giving the order for mandatory evacuation and supervising the actual evacuation. His Office of Emergency Preparedness (not the federal government) must coordinate with the state on elements of evacuation and assist in directing the transportation of evacuees to staging areas. Mayor Nagin had to be encouraged by the governor to contact the National Hurricane Center before he finally, belatedly, issued the order for mandatory evacuation. And sadly, it apparently took a personal call from the president to urge the governor to order the mandatory evacuation.

Even though the city had enough school and transit buses to evacuate 12,000 citizens per fleet run, the mayor did not use them. To compound the problem, the buses were not moved to high ground and were flooded (there were photos of the flooded buses on the web).

If you want to direct your ire for the Katrina disaster, I'd suggest starting with the Governor or Louisiana and the Mayor of New Orleans.

As for spying - I guess you missed it where, last summer, Obama voted in FAVOR in favor of legislation to overhaul government surveillance laws and grant effective immunity to telecommunications companies that participated in a secret Bush Administration eavesdropping program. Obama apparently doesn't have problems with it, either.

So, if you voted for him, obviously YOU don't either.

Edited by grbeck