Ford 5.0L Coyote V8 spied in a Mustang

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know two guys who built 5.4 4Vs with the exact same cylinder heads (ported Ford GTs flowing close to 400 cfm on a 3.572" bore, ported by the same guy, at the same time, side-by-side).

One guy built his 5.4 with a standard .020" overbore and stock 4.165" stroke, the other built his engine with a 3.700" bore and a 3.78x" stroke. Both fitted with the same intake manifold (ported Sullivan single plane) and turning 8000+ rpm. The final result? The big bore/short stroke engine made 9 more rwhp (at a higher rpm) and 30 lb-ft less torque.

I've personally seen comparison after comparison where this same situation has played out, the end result is almost always the same.

Now ask those two friends what they think they could do with a 4.00" bore.

Cam between the valves----interesting. Who else does that/did that?

dumb question, but if the cam is between the valves, how the hell are the valves actuated? are there finger followers???? I'm lost....looks to me as if DOHC would be necessary...i'm obviously missing something....I'll stick with bad typing....

dumb question, but if the cam is between the valves, how the hell are the valves actuated? are there finger followers???? I'm lost....looks to me as if DOHC would be necessary...i'm obviously missing something....I'll stick with bad typing....

Roller Rockers Deanh, think 1970s Japanese OHC engines.

Looking at the picture of the 6.2 above there are 3 lobes on the cam for the middle two cylinders. What is that for? Displacement on Demand?

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine

The initial versions of the Boss will have single overhead camshafts, two valves per cylinder, two spark plugs per cylinder and employ a form of cylinder deactivation for increased fuel economy and reduced emissions

I wouldn't necessarily cite wikipedia as an authority on what is still confidential information at Ford.

Normally I would agree with you, but that particular article has been there well over a year, maybe be even a lil shy of 18 months. And it has been pretty damn accurate on all of its info. For example, it stated that the BOSS would be SOHC w/ 2V per cylinder FROM THE START. So, whoever wrote it was definitely someone "in-the-know."

Edited by OHV 16V

I wouldn't necessarily cite wikipedia as an authority on what is still confidential information at Ford.

Yeah. You can't always trust Wikipedia. Wikipedia always has the must current information, but you can't trust the people who post the information. The article had a lot of information about a lot of versions of the engine. I doubt that they all make it to production. Ford needs this engine but I doubt that they can justify the 600 HP Version.

If they do. I would think building a low volume multivalve head would be expensive. An EcoBoost might be a better way to go.

The Boss 777 sound like a lot of fun. 7.0L, 700hp @ 7000 rpms.

Last I heard (admittedly 2 years ago) there were "issues" with the "variable displacement" control system and it was put on the back burner. Good to see those issues were worked out.

BTW, wait til you see the combustion chamber. Those are 2 HUGE valves !

The proof is in the photo.

Yeah. You can't always trust Wikipedia. Wikipedia always has the must current information, but you can't trust the people who post the information. The article had a lot of information about a lot of versions of the engine. I doubt that they all make it to production. Ford needs this engine but I doubt that they can justify the 600 HP Version.

If they do. I would think building a low volume multivalve head would be expensive. An EcoBoost might be a better way to go.

The Boss 777 sound like a lot of fun. 7.0L, 700hp @ 7000 rpms.

The 600 HP one is boosted.