UAW fights to keep free legal services for workers

jesushchristonastick, I want an unbiased and open media, but....does the media put EVERY companies' benefits out there for all to see? Just sayin.

The UAW Legal Services Program is a negotiated benefit. I've used it several times, and the people who work in the LS office here work hard, and have helped me and many of my co-workers.

Having said that, I know our companies' (and it is OUR company too, BTW) money situation is dire.

If we have to suspend our LS, so does upper management. Everybody needs to sacrifice!

Of course this is the kind of shit the UAW would fight to keep....Give up the things that count,like JSP,wages,Sub pay.......UAW won't last much longer,we are not going to want to pay dues to someone who fights to give concessions all the time!

Ask about the credit cards the UAW bigwigs have out from the legal services. Just something I heard! I guess it's another perk for them that they're loathe to give up.

My experiences with the UAW Legal Service have been terrible.They HATE customers,I mean why not they are paid anyways.I see the UAW Legal Service as a court appointed lawyer.The Lawyer shows up with a canned speech "The best thing you could do right now,,,is plead guilty".The Legal Service gives advice in your adversaries favor be it a divorce or whatever and they do not litigate."just give up and smile"

Edited by Fatso

Oh yeah give up ETAP SUb and JSP but keep the flipping "legal" services. Geez I couldn't even get them to call me back when I wanted to set up a simple will. Some one some where is getting a fat kickback!

Legal Services provides nice cushy jobs for union big shots. Nice office, good money, lot's of "side benefits" need I go further. I know, I used to work at the headquarters. They called the union hot shots "union coordinators". Trust me, UAW is just taking care of the good old boys that made it to the top. Legal Services is a joke in most courts. The attorneys that work there can't make it private practice. Even litigation cases are handled in an assembly line fashion. Open it, get it done and close it. Really good attorneys have gotten frustrated with the system and left. The clients get exactly what they pay for. Sometimes they get lucky and win a complicated case. Legal Services can really be trusted for real estate or wills, where everything is cut and dried, follow the process. Even then, the procedure is open the file, do the work, close the file asap. The UAW should be more concerned about SUB pay and retirees. I believe that we should decide what is kept and what is eliminated. Get rid of Legal Services. All the staff offices all over the US, and the money spent to maintain them. All the salaries of these employees and especially the Union Coordinators that work there.

Edited by Emigh

My experiences with the UAW Legal Service have been terrible.They HATE customers,I mean why not they are paid anyways.I see the UAW Legal Service as a court appointed lawyer.The Lawyer shows up with a canned speech "The best thing you could do right now,,,is plead guilty".The Legal Service gives advice in your adversaries favor be it a divorce or whatever and they do not litigate."just give up and smile"

I agree they are nothing but like having a court appointed lawyer. I have never used them for anything that was of importance to me. Useless give it up no big deal IMHO.

Of course this is the kind of shit the UAW would fight to keep....Give up the things that count,like JSP,wages,Sub pay.......UAW won't last much longer,we are not going to want to pay dues to someone who fights to give concessions all the time!

Are you retarded or just plain stupid? You have no clue what is actually being fought for and what is not, so STFU when you don't know shit. If you don't like the UAW than get the F**k out. Why didnt your sorry ass take the buyout? All you do is come on here and bash the UAW, what have YOU done to try and make anything better? Have you ran for a position, probably not, to weak minded. All you do is come on here and whine like a little girl, never state any facts just pure whining. Be a part of the solution not a part of the problem!! But I believe your spineless ass will just sit back and keep spreading dumbness. But thank you for your insight on this matter, after reading it we are all now that much dumber!

Are you retarded or just plain stupid? You have no clue what is actually being fought for and what is not, so STFU when you don't know shit. If you don't like the UAW than get the F**k out. Why didnt your sorry ass take the buyout? All you do is come on here and bash the UAW, what have YOU done to try and make anything better? Have you ran for a position, probably not, to weak minded. All you do is come on here and whine like a little girl, never state any facts just pure whining. Be a part of the solution not a part of the problem!! But I believe your spineless ass will just sit back and keep spreading dumbness. But thank you for your insight on this matter, after reading it we are all now that much dumber!

Chill out chelli,

The general has been a very active source of information and opinion since august 06.Some agreeable some not.Just like everyone else that joins bon.No need to bite his head off just because he has an opinion.Is there?How do you think it makes you look when you attack someone like that?You are new to bon.You know what they say about first impressions.

I have to agree! I never used it, but still have to claim $88.34 on my tax return.

Good lord! How do you still put food on the table?!!!

I have to say my experience with them has been very good. A settlement check arrived today from a case I had pending and I still have another in the works.

Edited by Twincam Harley

Its the petty bullshit like this why the public is laughing at the UAW.

Lets see lets get rid if the GEN With NO VOTE but lets fight like hell to keep the lawyers.

Lets talk about getting rid of SUB but lets keep the lawyers.

Lets keep our VEBA at 100% for the retirees but lets put GM into bankruptcy and fuck the current workers and let GM export all there shit to China. Because thats whats going to happen if the file and get there QUOTE "NEW COMPANY" they aint producing those new cars in the US if they go bankrupt and you all know thats true. True for Ford also

How about showing some P R I O R I T I E S

First they should concentrate on keeping as many people working in the US as possible

2nd same as 1st

Cause without the current workforce there will not be anyone to contribute to the VEBA or the pension fund.

I always thought the union= J O B S not free lawyers or some ETAP bullshit JOBS is where its at without JOBS ie.. fewer members WORKING means the union has LESS and LESS power.

Edited by fordworker

Chill out chelli,

The general has been a very active source of information and opinion since august 06.Some agreeable some not.Just like everyone else that joins bon.No need to bite his head off just because he has an opinion.Is there?How do you think it makes you look when you attack someone like that?You are new to bon.You know what they say about first impressions.

I agree I should not have went that way with it. The reason I did though is because he seems to have nothing good to ever say about the UAW. I think we should all be trying to stand together in these trying times. Just my opinion. General sorry if I offended you in any way. I just don't understand why you are so angry with the UAW. There have been a lot of good things done for the body. You cannot have all good and no bad. The economy sucks right now. Also I do not believe we will lose as much that has been speculated. None of us know though so we are all wondering. Everything else we hear are just rumors.

Edited by chelli

Keeping the legal services would be nice. It's not a top priority when considering everything else we are being asked to give up. I have had excellent help with legal services. Warranty issues are one. Some companies raise a stink about honoring a warranty.They know legal fees don't make it worth fighting with them. With our legal services, a letter or phone call from an attorney has always made my warranty get honored. I also parted ways with an attorney that I had privately retained for a divorce. I got an out of town lawyer from UAW legal services & everything started changing in my favor. The long drawn out divorce started coming to a close much sooner. My settlement became much more fair & reasonable. The UAW lawyer even got the court house guards to stop harassing me. I was being searched & followed whenever & wherever I was in the courthouse. I have no complaints about the service I received at all.

I agree I should not have went that way with it. The reason I did though is because he seems to have nothing good to ever say about the UAW. I think we should all be trying to stand together in these trying times. Just my opinion. General sorry if I offended you in any way. I just don't understand why you are so angry with the UAW. There have been a lot of good things done for the body. You cannot have all good and no bad. The economy sucks right now. Also I do not believe we will lose as much that has been speculated. None of us know though so we are all wondering. Everything else we hear are just rumors.

The General doesn't mean any harm, and you certainly can't take anything he says on here seriously. But no, he doesn't have anything good to say about the UAW.