New diesel V8 for Ford F-150

CGI

John Mortimer is reporting in AWK that the Brazilian foundry Tupy has been given the nod that it will be making cylinder blocks for the upcoming Ford 4.4-litre V8 diesel engine that will power future F150 pickups. The block will be made of Compacted Grapite Iron, claimed to be much more stabile than grey iron and almost indestructable.

The more rigid blocks( the material is frequently used in NASCAR) are easier to seal and "blow-by" in the cylinders is minimized, so just changing material is rising the HP some 10 %. Navistar will debute with their 11 and 13-litre Big Bores in the same material next year.

Cleveland Casting Plant will have to speed up their CGI-trials in order to get some of the coming contracts. U A W local 1250

John Mortimer is reporting in AWK that the Brazilian foundry Tupy has been given the nod that it will be making cylinder blocks for the upcoming Ford 4.4-litre V8 diesel engine that will power future F150 pickups. The block will be made of Compacted Grapite Iron, claimed to be much more stabile than grey iron and almost indestructable.

The more rigid blocks( the material is frequently used in NASCAR) are easier to seal and "blow-by" in the cylinders is minimized, so just changing material is rising the HP some 10 %. Navistar will debute with their 11 and 13-litre Big Bores in the same material next year.

Cleveland Casting Plant will have to speed up their CGI-trials in order to get some of the coming contracts. U A W local 1250

How far in the future are we talking here? 2007? 2008? Further than that?

:happy feet:

How far in the future are we talking here? 2007? 2008? Further than that?

Ford 3,6-litre V8 in production, small numbers right now but rising

Ford 4,4-litre V8 will follow in 2007

Navistar 11 and 13 litre BIG BORE in the fall 2007.

Caterpillar in 2007 from the Cifunsa-CAT new Technocast foundry

a s o

Is the 4.4 liter a navistar designed engine if so NO THANKS!!!!

Forget the 6-litre PS. The new engines are made in hightech material with proper equipment. Navistar will rock with the new Big Bores next year showing that they are true professionals.

the 6.0 will not keep very many from buying a ford diesel. anyone who's owned a 7.3 powerstroke knows ford and international are a match made in heaven. a diesel F150 will be nice. now they need a ranger diesel(in the U.S.).

the 6.0 will not keep very many from buying a ford diesel. anyone who's owned a 7.3 powerstroke knows ford and international are a match made in heaven. a diesel F150 will be nice. now they need a ranger diesel(in the U.S.).

i dont know about that, have seen plenty of diehard fords guys switch to dmax or to a ford gasser. many fleet owner s of ford vans with the diesels are headed to gassers also. i think they thought that about the 6.0 when compard to a 7.3 reliability

i ve lost count on the buyback posts over at the diesel stop.

the 6.0 was in response to all the 1st tier emmisions requirements, the 6.4 for the 07 requirements.

the simplicity of the 7.3 is long gone due to emmisions.

all the intial hype of the 6.0 reliability, better fuel economy, ( most have seen less than ye ole 7.3) ford had better done their homework before the next release on the 6.4 psd.

i dont think they can afford another diesel f up.

back in 96, on my 7.3 psd van, navistar would do any of the serious service work on the engine. i think now all they do is build the engines and ford puts everything else together and service.

i had injectors problems with my 02 d max, should have kept it thou, gm extended the injector warranty to 7 years 200,000 miles on the '01 and '02 s. i sold as i was close to 100k warranty end and didnt want to bear the expense of injectors, but soon after i sold it , gm did the right thing .

id say my van has had about 6000 bucks worth of warranty work already, that was just the problems with turbo issues, ( selling dealer just throwing parts at it) and it s gonna cost ford a few thousand more in a settlement for breach of warranty .

trade in values suck on the 6.0 s. i ordered a gm, and dealer low balled a offer on my van. 2 others wouldnt even consider it for a trade even if it meant losing a sale. funny part is dealer gave me good trade value on my navi so that s the trade for the gm. said full size suvs are hot despite gas prices.

so for me, for the next few years i m taking a break from fords & lincolns. thats another $$$ loss for ford.

Which contract is Cleveland getting? We were told something about a 2nd and 3rd phase!

Forget the 6-litre PS. The new engines are made in hightech material with proper equipment. Navistar will rock with the new Big Bores next year showing that they are true professionals.

The new "International" big bores are not even their own engine. It was developed by M-A-N in Germany and the basic engine is in use today in Europe. Interestingly, M-A-N also installs the ISM Cummins making many ask why it is such a world beater if the Cummins sells. What is more, the engine is likely to be very costly as M-A-N and IH will have a difficult time achieving the volume numbers that have enabled Mercedes and Volvo to make inroads into the US.

Edited by JAAF150

• 2 weeks later...
Cleveland is supposed to get part of the 3.5 Duratec production. Not sure what else though.

Long story short, the Windsor Casting plant is closing, so that leaves Cleveland Casting as the last Iron casting plant Ford has in the U.S. / Canada. Interestingly, none of the blocks cast in Cleveland are assembled there (anymore). Although there is half of Engine Plant 1 open to be re-used for assembly.