Buyers like Ford, Shun GM and Chrysler

DETROIT (Reuters) --"Ford Motor Co., the only U.S. automaker not relying on emergency aid from the U.S. government, has seen a nearly 12 percent increase in the share of car shoppers who say it would be their first choice.

"Fewer new car shoppers are considering vehicles from General Motors and Chrysler LLC at a time when consumer attention is focused on their request for further U.S. government aid, according to a survey released today.

"The share of car shoppers who say their primary choice would be a vehicle from one of the GM brands dropped by almost 12 percent, while the share for Chrysler dropped by a third, according to the study from CNW Research."

Full article here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/ousivMolt/i...E52I6XW20090319

Buyers like Ford, Shun GM and Chrysler

It would be nice if people would shun

The share of car shoppers who say Hyundai would be their primary choice jumped 59 percent. Kia rose by almost 50 percent in the CNW survey.

On a combined basis, the two Korean brands had a U.S. market share of just over 5 percent in 2008.

I know their quality has improved over the years but I'd rather see people buy Ford GM and Chrysler.

I know their quality has improved over the years but I'd rather see people buy Ford GM and Chrysler.

Korean trade deal is very up in the air right now.. The US is right in demanding they open that market like we have for them.. The deal Bush had struck is not going to pass as it is..

Korean trade deal is very up in the air right now.. The US is right in demanding they open that market like we have for them.. The deal Bush had struck is not going to pass as it is..

I don't know about US politics and I don't know about the Korean trade deal.

I do know that in the past, the US had lttle chance of exporting cars to Korea for competitive reasons. The current financial crisis will be resolved by the US regaining competitiveness.

In the past, Americans became rich by borrowing from the Asians and importing from China and selling the stuff at high profits. The borrowing did not cause inflation because the Chinese used technology to further reduce costs. The economist let the world economy go into a bubble arguing that there was no inflation. China made things worse by keeping their currency devalued.

In the future, the US will have to become competitive. This is partly done from the labour concessions like the ones that have already been made in the Auto industry. The rest of it will be done by paying down debt and devaluing the US currency. US wages will be reduce by currency based inflation. Hopefully the inflation can be controlled with technology.

What I am trying to say is that there is no reason why the US can't be competitive enough to export cars to Korea in the future. The US would have a better chance of negotiation a good deal in the past than in the future.

I don't know about US politics and I don't know about the Korean trade deal.

I do know that in the past, the US had lttle chance of exporting cars to Korea for competitive reasons. The current financial crisis will be resolved by the US regaining competitiveness.

In the past, Americans became rich by borrowing from the Asians and importing from China and selling the stuff at high profits. The borrowing did not cause inflation because the Chinese used technology to further reduce costs. The economist let the world economy go into a bubble arguing that there was no inflation. China made things worse by keeping their currency devalued.

In the future, the US will have to become competitive. This is partly done from the labour concessions like the ones that have already been made in the Auto industry. The rest of it will be done by paying down debt and devaluing the US currency. US wages will be reduce by currency based inflation. Hopefully the inflation can be controlled with technology.

What I am trying to say is that there is no reason why the US can't be competitive enough to export cars to Korea in the future. The US would have a better chance of negotiation a good deal in the past than in the future.

what the heck you talking about and were are you coming from????????/ in my 60 years i cant believe this quote or thinking, we have been used since the 80-s in trade deals not favouring us but to open up are markets .for them to dump....quess what millions of manufacturing jobs have left for korea,dah,mexico,dah china,dah india,dah japan, you want me to go on????????/the middle paying jobs are gone nobody is working or buying enjoy what your a-hole political leaders sold you out for........and your telling me we should have settled years ago for a deal with korea...........excuse me were done now its there time to feel some pain because america is broke no more dumping and we are not buying.........let them enjoy the rape of our land because its coming to there homeland to roost................what comes around goes around 7 fold.them them swim in SHIT.my family has suffered at there greed let them enjoy it too,,,,,,,

what the heck you talking about and were are you coming from????????/ in my 60 years i cant believe this quote or thinking, we have been used since the 80-s in trade deals not favouring us but to open up are markets .for them to dump....quess what millions of manufacturing jobs have left for korea,dah,mexico,dah china,dah india,dah japan, you want me to go on????????/the middle paying jobs are gone nobody is working or buying enjoy what your a-hole political leaders sold you out for........and your telling me we should have settled years ago for a deal with korea...........excuse me were done now its there time to feel some pain because america is broke no more dumping and we are not buying.........let them enjoy the rape of our land because its coming to there homeland to roost................what comes around goes around 7 fold.them them swim in SHIT.my family has suffered at there greed let them enjoy it too,,,,,,,

Korea, Japan and the others did nothing wrong.

The American consumer decided the outcome. :reading:

And according to the current market share, the American consumer is still given them an increase.

Korea, Japan and the others did nothing wrong.

The American consumer decided the outcome. :reading:

And according to the current market share, the American consumer is still given them an increase.

So . . . let me get this straight as to what you are saying. . . if the U.S. replicates trade policies (including monetary manipulation, playing with VAT, closing off markets to specific products for import, and at the same time product dumping into their market) of Korea, Japan China & Germany. . . then we will be doing nothing wrong . . . in your eyes?

What do you think they will say if we were to announce that we will respond with the same policies that they have used for the past 2, or 3 decades? Do you think they will cry or jump for joy?

On one hand, one key belief of communism is that all countries should be completely independant. That way the state can control all parts of the economy, rather than the market place.

On the other hand, the abuse by all these nasty countries has given all these countries a very high standard of living. We could only wish we could live in such a prosperous countries where people have such a high standard of living.

On one hand, one key belief of communism is that all countries should be completely independant. That way the state can control all parts of the economy, rather than the market place.

Huh? The goal of communism is some sort of international brotherhood thingy where government dissolves into warm fuzzy happiness.

On the other hand, the abuse by all these nasty countries has given all these countries a very high standard of living. We could only wish we could live in such a prosperous countries where people have such a high standard of living.

Huh? Like China and Mexico? Yeah I'd love to live there.

Yeah, obviously a guy who never dealt with a DMV...

To hear Dickens' tell it, Marx's London was full of bureaucracies that made the DMV look positively efficient

(what's worse than spending 45 minutes at the DMV to get your license renewed? Finding out at the counter you could've done it at the county courthouse---I was like, "why did you even tell me this? There's nothing I can do about it now!")

Consider the chapter on the Circumlocution Office (from Little Dorrit)

http://www.readprint.com/chapter-2800/Charles-Dickens

Because the Circumlocution Office went on mechanically, every day,

keeping this wonderful, all-sufficient wheel of statesmanship, How

not to do it, in motion. Because the Circumlocution Office was

down upon any ill-advised public servant who was going to do it, or

who appeared to be by any surprising accident in remote danger of

doing it, with a minute, and a memorandum, and a letter of

instructions that extinguished him. It was this spirit of national

efficiency in the Circumlocution Office that had gradually led to

its having something to do with everything. Mechanicians, natural

philosophers, soldiers, sailors, petitioners, memorialists, people

with grievances, people who wanted to prevent grievances, people

who wanted to redress grievances, jobbing people, jobbed people,

people who couldn't get rewarded for merit, and people who couldn't

get punished for demerit, were all indiscriminately tucked up under

the foolscap paper of the Circumlocution Office.

Numbers of people were lost in the Circumlocution Office.

Unfortunates with wrongs, or with projects for the general welfare

(and they had better have had wrongs at first, than have taken that

bitter English recipe for certainly getting them), who in slow

lapse of time and agony had passed safely through other public

departments; who, according to rule, had been bullied in this,

over-reached by that, and evaded by the other; got referred at last

to the Circumlocution Office, and never reappeared in the light of

day. Boards sat upon them, secretaries minuted upon them,

commissioners gabbled about them, clerks registered, entered,

checked, and ticked them off, and they melted away. In short, all

the business of the country went through the Circumlocution Office,

except the business that never came out of it; and its name was

Legion.

To hear Dickens' tell it, Marx's London was full of bureaucracies that made the DMV look positively efficient

(what's worse than spending 45 minutes at the DMV to get your license renewed? Finding out at the counter you could've done it at the county courthouse---I was like, "why did you even tell me this? There's nothing I can do about it now!")

Consider the chapter on the Circumlocution Office (from Little Dorrit)

http://www.readprint.com/chapter-2800/Charles-Dickens

Because I always turn to Dickens for political theory. :headscratch:

(I'll have to try reading that when I'm sober, though)

Here in NC if you want to do anything DMV-related, you go to one operated by independent contractor.

In-and-out in less than 20 minutes (unless they make you take the test, but not required if no moving violations since last renewal)

The only other exception is if the bus just dropped off a load of Mexicans who can't speak English (Happened to me. I just went back the next day). Hopefully not a problem since they supposedly outlawed illegals' licenses, but with "Miss Beverly" in office, who knows? :shrug:

[bACK ON TOPIC] Most people I've asked would NOT buy from GM or Chrysler because they took the money ("I gave at the office" attitude). My boss is the only exception (he's always owned Chevys, until his wife went out on her own and bought an Escape)

Edited by RangerM

Huh? Like China and Mexico? Yeah I'd love to live there.

Actually you could live quit a rich lifestyle in China or Mexico if you could do it with an American level of income. Forget it with a Mexican income.

If life could only be like one big Mexican vacation.