Ford's EV & 170mpg Hybrid

I'm just hoping that number doesn't carry over to the Focus EV....$50-70K for a Focus that'd be: :banghead:

Me too. I would think that it shouldn't for one reason: The Focus EV won't be it's own animal. Part of the Volt's problem is it's unique body, internals, etc. It doesn't share with anything else. I'm hoping that the Focus is cheaper because it should have the same body as the-then-current one, along with some other bits too.

I could be wrong though...?

The Transit Connect most likely would windup being leased as a fleet vehicle?

yup...just like the Electric Ranger....WAYYYY too much $ for regular consumers....besides that the Govt will give HUGE consessions to municipalities....

How come Detroit electric in partnership with Proton and more importantly Lotus can come up with something that most people can afford, has a range of about 100 miles and achieves 0-60 in 8 seconds?

see: http://detroit-electric.co.uk/

The Chinese even seem more ahead of the curve on this through companies like BYD.

Is the GM Volt and the Ford car/van above just another cynical marketing excercise? To be fair to Ford I bet their models swallowed little cash compared to the Volt....

Me too. I would think that it shouldn't for one reason: The Focus EV won't be it's own animal. Part of the Volt's problem is it's unique body, internals, etc. It doesn't share with anything else. I'm hoping that the Focus is cheaper because it should have the same body as the-then-current one, along with some other bits too.

I could be wrong though...?

Comapring to the Volt, yes, you're right. The same argument could be said with the TC though....it shares all the same major body/interior components, yet it still costs $50-70K. I am thinking that Ford will work it out to be much less for the Focus though, or at least I"m hoping that.