Ford Plants Down

ldp

According to the announcement on WJR this morning, ONLY the day shifts at MTP and DTP are down today, the night shifts are to report for work. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill already.

You go Hellcat, show up for work tonight.

I'll stay home and collect short work week.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OHAP is down today also. Both shifts. Due to transmissions which we get from Sharonville. RUMOR is that a 'band' on the transmissions are bad?!! I am a person who knows NOTHING about automotives (cept where to put the screws :bandance: ) so maybe this makes sense to someone else. Maybe the problem is where Sharonville gets their parts?! All I know is our foreman said this affects 7 other plants , though. I'm assuming (unless the radio says otherwise) that we are working on monday.

Last night I saw this on the local news. They did it as a "breaking news" story. Which of course grabs your attention even more. My first thought was great this is all we need. A customers when out shopping for a vehicle is gonna say to themselves. "Do we want a Ford, they can't seem to get it together." I don't think the way people view Ford is completely Fords fault. The media has a big hand into what the public sees of this company because all we hear is negative. If they do have a recall I think Ford should come up with some type of idea to compensate the customer for having to take the time out of their busy day and bring the vehicle in to get repaired because a bad part.

For example if you have a defective trans, when you get the recall notice there will be a coupon for a free oil change that will be good for 6 months. Someone like me who doesn't like to deal with the whole recall bit would wait until the car started having issues before taking it in to get fixed. The coupon would get set to the side and forgotten, but I would have given ford props for trying to make the problem right. At least telling me as a customer that they are sorry that I have to take time out of my already busy day to sit a dealership to get my car fixed. It may cost the company some money, but it may bring a customer back when they start to look for another new vehicle. Customers get compensated at a restaurant for bad service by getting a free meal, drinks, dessert, etc. A hotel may compensate a customer when they receive bad service. I think you get my idea. The company does this to bring the customer back, and for the customer to tell their friends-hey they screwed up, but they tried to make things right. Another thought would to give long time Ford buyers a certificate that allows them to purchase a vehicle with the discount that a Ford employee gets. (the A plan). They have a list of who has bought Ford vehicles, so for being a loyal customer (purchasing so many vehicles within a certain time period) we are giving you the employee discount next time you would like to purchase a vehicle. Put an expiration date on the certificate also. Good only for two years. When an employee purchases a vehicle and uses the A plan the company is still making some type of profit. At least if the media mentions a recall, there will be a little plus of having to bring the car back.

Those are just my thoughts. Who knows someone may say that is the stupidest thing I have ever read. I am just a stay at home mom who's hoping that the hubby will still have some type of employment come next year. This whole bad part thing is happening at a bad time for the company and the employees. :cry: Ford has a PR dept. that would know better if something like this would help out or not, and what the cost would be to the company..

According to the announcement on WJR this morning, ONLY the day shifts at MTP and DTP are down today, the night shifts are to report for work. Stop making a mountain out of a mole hill already.

When I was walking out the door last night, there were bulletins taped to the door saying there is no work today (meaning both shifts).

Last night I saw this on the local news. They did it as a "breaking news" story. Which of course grabs your attention even more.

You're right 99stang, the media loves to do this crap. There's nothing about this that warrants "breaking news" status. What B.S. A defective part was found and Ford did the right thing by stopping production until it's isolated and resolved. Be it 1 day or 1 week it's the proper measure. If anybody thinks this never happens to Toyota and Honda they're crazy. They can run into supplier/vendor issues same as us, it just doesn't get the glaring attention of the frickin media.

Wow. MTP, KC, NAP, and DTP all down because of one part. I would hate to be the transmission plant manager that gets the bill for all this downtime. :fan:

Plus look at it this way. This is minor of what could happen to GM if Delphi strikes. This is only ONE part. :rip:

We were told this moring that Ford shut down 7 plants due to trannys. I have only heard rumors as to why. The word is we will attempt to run the evening shift.

It might be minor in comparision to delphi but, it is still major for Ford.

Mike

LOL, I was only relating what I heard on the Great Republican Voice of the Great Lakes, WJR. I work over in God-and-Maintenance-Forsaken Trim, on DAYS, and they didn't tell us squat about not coming in today. I got to drive in just to turn around and drive home. I really did hear, again on WJR in between the right wing Bush republican slanted news coverage, that the night shifts at MTP and DTP were to report as scheduled..I didn't make it up. I tuned in WJR after I left the plant.

I would like to know what the latest real info is, if anyone knows.

Edited by Hellcat_F6F

You're right 99stang, the media loves to do this crap. There's nothing about this that warrants "breaking news" status. What B.S. A defective part was found and Ford did the right thing by stopping production until it's isolated and resolved. Be it 1 day or 1 week it's the proper measure. If anybody thinks this never happens to Toyota and Honda they're crazy. They can run into supplier/vendor issues same as us, it just doesn't get the glaring attention of the frickin media.

That is what all media will do to get sponsors, subscriptions etc. that is the code of the road.

You can do research to how many times the competition has shutdown production IOT resolve a problem however, it is back page news and no one seems to want to make the effort.

This is a slanted report because if the public thinks that FoMoCo will go under any minute from now, the news will fan the flames to get viewers and subscribers etc. I think they're betting the viewers are rubber-neckers looking for the next tragedy.

In the end, Ford made the right decison to stop production. I think everyone would agree with that if you thought about it.

I just called our Labor Relations Department at MTP and was told that we would be down tonight and listen to the radio for Monday. When I called the local they did not know. Security at MTP told me the same thing, down tonight, and listen for notification on Mon.

LOL, I was only relating what I heard on the Great Republican Voice of the Great Lakes, WJR. I work over in God-and-Maintenance-Forsaken Trim, on DAYS, and they didn't tell us squat about not coming in today. I got to drive in just to turn around and drive home. I really did hear, again on WJR in between the right wing Bush republican slanted news coverage, that the night shifts at MTP and DTP were to report as scheduled..I didn't make it up. I tuned in WJR after I left the plant.

What does WJR being a more conservative station have to do with anything related to this story??

And their national news updates come from ABC news which is slanted to the left politically. Only some of their shows, Paul W, Rush, and Hannity are conservative. They still put forth a lot of good information and Paul W gives planty of time to Granholm and others to voice their opinion.

Exactly! They are addressing the problem, which is the correct thing to do. The only thing I see that differentiates this from other plant shutdowns that occur from time to time due to bad parts is that the F-150 is effected and it is Ford's best seller. Plus this is spread across multiple plants. Hopefully that supplier can get things in order and production gets back to normal by Monday. Whoever the supplier is, they are going to have one heck of a bill for downtime charges!! :finger:

I work for a tier 1 supplier & we just shut down a plant also for who knows how long because we supply interior parts for the trucks, just think? If your missing 1 piece of the puzzle how many others are affected.

They say The problem was discovered in a testing of a clutch mechanism in a four-speed, rear-wheel-drive automatic transmission, Gattari said problem was with a component of the clutch mechanism that makes it shift smoothly between first and second gears. She would not identify the supplier, but said the company was working with Ford to fix the problem.

here is a link to the article saying what the problem is.

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/ar...0428&ID=5679886

Wow...well, I wonder what all of that came from???...I wasn't going to respond, but this is BON isn't it...

Do you realize that most radio broadcast personalities are required to be in a union? Even Rush Limbaugh is, and he doesn't like it...lol....All media facets have one interest, and that is an audience...WJR and WWJ and all other news stations provide just that...news...Republican or Democrat, we all make the world go round'....and I might add that Paul W Smith is conservative, but is also fair.

I'm impressed that Ford is taking this action now of closing plants and fixing the problem now instead of running bad parts which many of us are used to. So they can take care of the problem and possibly not have to issue a recall. Is Ford turning a new leaf?

I'm impressed that Ford is taking this action now of closing plants and fixing the problem now instead of running bad parts which many of us are used to. So they can take care of the problem and possibly not have to issue a recall. Is Ford turning a new leaf?

It sounds like Ford floated this out to the media to tell the public that they're willing to shut down 7 plants and lose money, just to make sure the customer gets a quality product.

In a way, this is a good PR move for Ford.

I don't know if they are turning a new leaf, but it is a damn site better than putting out several thousand truck to be recalled back. This is how it is supposed to happen. I hope this starts a trend if it isn't right don't let it out of the plant.

Mike

Edited by mikem12

Wow. MTP, KC, NAP, and DTP all down because of one part. I would hate to be the transmission plant manager that gets the bill for all this downtime. :fan:

Plus look at it this way. This is minor of what could happen to GM if Delphi strikes. This is only ONE part. :rip:

OHAP is down until futher notice

No word yet on Kentucky Truck

I'm at OHAP, too. What's 'further notice'. I think everyone is supposed to be back to production on Monday unless Ford PR is blowing smoke. Here's the link:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23311

From what I have read none of the jobs got out of the plants. Which is a very good thing. Last notice was no evening production at KCAP. Nothing official from mangagement on Monday production.

I am waiting to hear the spin from all the anti american new media.