Ford Fiesta sedan for U.S. market gets minor changes

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a shame the spy photos seem to make the sedan look like it's missed out on some of the good looks, even more so when you look back at the 2007 Detroit Verve sedan and how well done that was. As I looked back at those photos, I have started wondering if the US Fiesta will more closely mirror the Verve specifically in the lower front fascia where the fog lights will be.

The spy photos I've seen of the US version all seem to have some pretty substantial padding covering the entire area below the headlights, giving me absolutely nothing upon which to base this curiosity other than the top grille's seemingly similar size/layout as the Verve's instead of the European slit. The angular housing of the Verve's LED foglights/vents would be more in line with the Fusion and Taurus, although the LEDs will obviously not make production. The taller angular area may be a better fit than the small round Euro foglights as it reduces visual height and bulk. Since FoMoCo has to redesign the front bumper for crash standards anyway, I'd like to see a more Verve-like appearance for the US model--then we would have a better looking Fiesta than Europe which "always gets the good cars" according to some.

Nice to see that factory workers are just as ignorant as everyone else :rolleyes:

Ignorant?

Man, I've seen it. Get a call to go into the engineering or salaried buildings because the lights are out, coffee machine doesn't have power, etc. More people in their are listening to music over the Internet, surfing the Internet doing personal things, and just flat out playing games than doing actual work. You can't tell me it's just the automotive business that does it.

Hell, look at Nick. He's on this site all day when he's at work. (sorry to throw you under the bus, Nick)

Don't try to convince me otherwise.

If they just keeping on doing what they did in Hermosillo, Mexico where they make the Fusion/MKZ/Milan, they'll be fine.

The MAIN reason why the quality rankings of Ford have risen is because of Ford Of Mexico. Why wouldn't Ford invest in a win-win situation. In addition, the profits from the cheap Mexican operations will pay for the overpaid domestic wages, benefits and pensions... :happy feet:

And there is nothing that the United Against Work mob can do about this. :stirpot:

I'm not a UAW basher, but I do find it interesting that the Mexican built Fusion, Milan, and MKZ are Ford's top rated vehicles for quality and reliability, and they are built by third world people who don't have indoor plumbing, and make about $25/day busitng their asses. My prediction is that by 2010 UAW workers will be making exact same wage and benefits as the transplants which is roughly $48/hour. Mexican workers are really showing up the UAW so that they don't have any leg to stand on anymore.

As the article belows points out , the $3B is spead over 3 major investmests.

Bryce G. Hoffman / The Detroit News

Ford Motor Co. announced a series of new investments in Mexico Friday worth $3 billion -- the largest automotive investment ever in the country.

The Dearborn automaker confirmed plans to build the North American version of its new Ford Fiesta subcompact at its Cuautitlán Assembly Plant.

Ford also will add a new diesel line at its Chihuahua Engine Plant and is planning to build a new joint-venture transmission factory with German supplier Getrag in Guanajuato

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...UTO01/805310341

WardsAuto.com, May 30, 2008 4:07 PM

Ford today says it will add production of 500,000 vehicles annually in Mexico by 2012, including its launch of its new Fiesta subcompact at the Cuautitlan plant in early 2010.

HERMOSILLO, Mexico – Ford Motor Company (www.ford.com) has mapped out two major parts of its future: the new Futura midsize model and the Hermosillo, Mexico, assembly plant that will be the first to build it.

The nation's second-largest automaker is fusing those two together with an investment of as much as US$1 billion, revamping the Mexican operation's production system and building a huge supplier park

http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsider/bbdeal/bd031201.htm

Thanks for the posts.

As I mentioned in my previous post, if the announcement is being made to a state or other governmental body (in this case Mexico), then you might find the investment number pumped for PR reasons.

Maybe $3 billion is a hard round for the total. When I speak of plant investment, I'm not including program-specific spending -- like for instance the dies that are used to stamp specific sheet metal pieces. So the Cuatitlan assembly plant itself was likely around $1 billion.

The investment in the engine plant will, I assume, be primarily for the Fiesta. But the transmission will be used across a number of vehicle lines, not just Fiesta. I assume the transmission is the Powershift DCT which will go into all b- and c-cars plus derivatives as the automatic. So it will be very high volume, and I assume to get this much volume, the investment is pretty high.

I don't believe the Ward's report is correct in stating 500,000 units of "added" capacity. I think it should be "500,000 units of total capacity", and even that number depends on whether Ford will ever find itself in a situation where Hermosillo and Cuatitlan are 3-shifted (in which case it could go over 500k).

The wheels on that Fiesta look just like the multi-spoke 15" design that's been offered on the C170 Focus for over a decade now. Hopefully the production NA Fiesta will have a more contemporary looking wheel selection.

Edited by aneekr

200,000 capacity ... they may need all of that and more. Latest figure is that Ford has sold 130k in Europe since launch last September. I hope the US gets what we have in Europe, it's a sensational car. I'm speaking from experience as my wife has one (I only get to drive it when it needs pertol - sorry, gas).

If they just keeping on doing what they did in Hermosillo, Mexico where they make the Fusion/MKZ/Milan, they'll be fine.

The MAIN reason why the quality rankings of Ford have risen is because of Ford Of Mexico. Why wouldn't Ford invest in a win-win situation. In addition, the profits from the cheap Mexican operations will pay for the overpaid domestic wages, benefits and pensions... :happy feet:

And there is nothing that the United Against Work mob can do about this. :stirpot:

You must base your finding from the media which is an ignorant statement, what a tool

Don't try to convince me otherwise.

I don't want too...why should I work in a crappy work environment like a factory when I can do something else like work in an office and do less "physical" work and get paid more?

Hell I just spent my whole afternoon driving around Fort McCoy checking to see if the computer network we have set up works properly all the way back to Fort Dix. It was great...70 degrees and sunny, though a bit dusty. And I work in one of those "office" jobs you complain about.

• 4 weeks later...
The problem is that if they do, they will lose even more jobs in the USA.

Not everyone wants to work a manual labor factory job

The TRUTH is that someday, not in the too distant future, all auto assembly plants will be fully automated needing only trained service people to calibrate the machines. Humans need something more challenging than to work on assembly line doing same thing over and over again for 30 years. Machines will put humans out of their misery. The UAW must have known it would not last forever with technology everchanging. New jobs will have to be invented, and hopefully they won't be as mind numbing as moving assembly line. Let the machines do it.

The TRUTH is that someday, not in the too distant future, all auto assembly plants will be fully automated needing only trained service people to calibrate the machines. Humans need something more challenging than to work on assembly line doing same thing over and over again for 30 years. Machines will put humans out of their misery. The UAW must have known it would not last forever with technology everchanging. New jobs will have to be invented, and hopefully they won't be as mind numbing as moving assembly line. Let the machines do it.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

:hysterical::hysterical:

:hysterical:

Let's see now...you understand the history of the final assembly plant, right? The Highland Park Plant that built the Model T used as many as 50,000 workers and Dodge Main in Hamtramck used the same number of workers. Now let's fast forward to 2009 and new, modern assembly plant uses about 2,300 workers give or take a few if that. And that number drops about 5%/year. At that rate final assembly plants will be down to about 300-400 workers in 15 years or so and most of them will be service technicians. Everytime Ford retools a plant for new product, they use less workers than on old product with old tooling. Robots will do more and more as the years past. Who would have thought decades ago that robots would get rid of thousands that used to work in these plants. Anyone working in plant now would be wise to get off the job training in order to change with the times and stay employable as robots take over their job. I know I would if I worked in plant today. I would be learning how to calibrate machines and servicing them in general. Only a fool would live like their job is forever or until they retire in 30 years. Those days are gone.

FYI

Jim Farley announced about a year ago or so that Ford would be building a 3 dr. hatch Fiesta along with the 4 dr. sedan which IMO is not near as exciting as 5dr. hatch. Now I hope they do build the 5 dr. hatch, but until Ford officially announces otherwise, I will assume 3dr. hatch is only other version that Farley announced. And Ford did announce that the next Focus will get a 5 dr. hatch, and two 5 dr. Focus hatches European speced are running around Metro Detroit and parked at Livonia Trans when not being run on street.

Let's see now...you understand the history of the final assembly plant, right? The Highland Park Plant that built the Model T used as many as 50,000 workers and Dodge Main in Hamtramck used the same number of workers. Now let's fast forward to 2009 and new, modern assembly plant uses about 2,300 workers give or take a few if that. And that number drops about 5%/year. At that rate final assembly plants will be down to about 300-400 workers in 15 years or so and most of them will be service technicians. Everytime Ford retools a plant for new product, they use less workers than on old product with old tooling. Robots will do more and more as the years past. Who would have thought decades ago that robots would get rid of thousands that used to work in these plants. Anyone working in plant now would be wise to get off the job training in order to change with the times and stay employable as robots take over their job. I know I would if I worked in plant today. I would be learning how to calibrate machines and servicing them in general. Only a fool would live like their job is forever or until they retire in 30 years. Those days are gone.

I don't even have to read your post.. just go watch a video of a car being made my man and travel that all the way back to each individual part for it..

What the fuck, you must sit on your ass daydreaming.. you know better than me.

FYI

Jim Farley announced about a year ago or so that Ford would be building a 3 dr. hatch Fiesta along with the 4 dr. sedan which IMO is not near as exciting as 5dr. hatch. Now I hope they do build the 5 dr. hatch, but until Ford officially announces otherwise, I will assume 3dr. hatch is only other version that Farley announced. And Ford did announce that the next Focus will get a 5 dr. hatch, and two 5 dr. Focus hatches European speced are running around Metro Detroit and parked at Livonia Trans when not being run on street.

I thought the 4- and 5-door models were the confirmed US models, while the 3-door was rumored for US shores?

IMO, it'd be a BIG mistake not to have the 5-door here. I loved how the 5-door looked in person, and I usually don't like 5-doors.

I thought the 4- and 5-door models were the confirmed US models, while the 3-door was rumored for US shores?

IMO, it'd be a BIG mistake not to have the 5-door here. I loved how the 5-door looked in person, and I usually don't like 5-doors.

This is correct...

4 and 5 door models confirmed, 3 door under review. Still. :banghead:

I don't even have to read your post.. just go watch a video of a car being made my man and travel that all the way back to each individual part for it..

What the fuck, you must sit on your ass daydreaming.. you know better than me.

Whatever dude. But how many UAW members were there in auto industry in 1960 and how many were there before latest financial crisis? Sure some lost their jobs due to decreased auto jobs, but most due to machines taking over and better design resulting in fewer parts like wrap aound one piece bumpers and on and on. And which number is bigger? 50,000 working at Dodge Main in 1927 or about 2,400 working at Wayne Assembly? How many UAW workers at Ford now and compare that to 1060, 175, or whatever. Sure, Ford is much smaller company now, but even if Ford was selling 200,000 vehicle/month, it wouldn't need that many more workers than it has now. Maybe another 10,000 or so tops if that.

Whatever dude. But how many UAW members were there in auto industry in 1960 and how many were there before latest financial crisis? Sure some lost their jobs due to decreased auto jobs, but most due to machines taking over and better design resulting in fewer parts like wrap aound one piece bumpers and on and on. And which number is bigger? 50,000 working at Dodge Main in 1927 or about 2,400 working at Wayne Assembly? How many UAW workers at Ford now and compare that to 1060, 175, or whatever. Sure, Ford is much smaller company now, but even if Ford was selling 200,000 vehicle/month, it wouldn't need that many more workers than it has now. Maybe another 10,000 or so tops if that.

Not worth reading... But you just keep on dreamin

Let me give YOU a little Auto history..

The Ford Rouge plant.. oh you'll love this one for your shear joy of numbers.. Employed how many and how many does it now employ?

BY GOD. your fucking right,

YOU WIN!!

Expert in sitting.. Ford made every frigging part in that plant in 1927..

Today those parts are made in other plants..

please, take your ideas to MST3000 they need a good laugh. oh crap, the things people come up with. You need to write a blog and gather a following and pass out Aluminum hats to the ranks.

Not worth reading... But you just keep on dreamin

Think what you want. If you want to believe that Ford's UAW membership is healthy, be my guest. No wonder the UAW is in trouble. They actually think Ford is employing more workers to build their product in U.S. and Canada and not working on ways to eliminate workers and their wages. They sure have you fooled. If anyone is a dreamer, you certainly fit the definition. And no, I'm not happy that more and more UAW members are losing their jobs. That is not good, but it is a fact and less are needed every year. But don't let facts get in your way. Think what you want.

Think what you want. If you want to believe that Ford's UAW membership is healthy, be my guest. No wonder the UAW is in trouble. They actually think Ford is employing more workers to build their product in U.S. and Canada and not working on ways to eliminate workers and their wages. They sure have you fooled. If anyone is a dreamer, you certainly fit the definition. And no, I'm not happy that more and more UAW members are losing their jobs. That is not good, but it is a fact and less are needed every year. But don't let facts get in your way. Think what you want.

Do you make them? Or do you buy them? You have a choice, No one twists your arm what you do. I suggest you go to Cerberus with your ideas and gets some capital and put it all together. Actually call up Alan, he's looking for idea men like you. You've hit it on the head.

Oops, Charlie Chaplin beat you to it.

You really are funny.. seriously.

Let me give YOU a little Auto history..

The Ford Rouge plant.. oh you'll love this one for your shear joy of numbers.. Employed how many and how many does it now employ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, I'm fully aware that bankrupt Delphi used to be part of GM and Visteon used to be part of Ford. I even once worked for Chevy Gear and Axle in Highland Park when it was owned by GM and is now owned by ex Chrysler executive and called American Axle. I was by the plant the other day and what a difference. I hear its going to Mexico. So what was your point again? And yeah Chevy Gear and Axle used a lot more workers back in the 60's than American Axle ever did using the same plants, but with much more automation.