It's SHO-Time For Edmunds

It all comes down to weight. At 4300 Lbs. The car is very heavy. Its tough to get good MPGs out of something that weighs that much. Whether the power comes from a V8, V6 or even a 4 Banger it still takes a lot of fuel to move that mass.

Thank goodness Ford is planning on dropping 250 to 500 lbs from each car. In my opinion, its the only way to improve efficiency.

It all comes down to weight. At 4300 Lbs. The car is very heavy. Its tough to get good MPGs out of something that weighs that much.

All I'm asking for is the same MPG as the non-Ecoboost V6 in an AWD Taurus...that should be doable since if you keep your foot out of the boost, it is essentially a regular ole 3.5 V6

Pontiac G8 13/20

Audi S-5 (2 door) 14/22

BMW 550i 15/23

Chrysler 300c SRT8 17/25

BMW 528i AWD 17/25

Lexus is 250 (smaller car) 20/25

Mercedes C300 17/25

Acura TL SH-AWD 17/25

So with these vehicles, all I'm seeing is that the fuel estimates are pretty close to the V8 in the 550i, or even the 300C SRT8 has a 17/25 which betters it by 2 CTY MPG and thats a larger V8. I just kept hearing "V8 performance, with V6 fuel efficiency", and I'm seeing "V8 performance with V8 fuel efficiency" instead. Only thing I can think of is maybe they were using that phrase if you were to take out the AWD equation from it, then I could see gaining a 1-2MPG, but because they are FWD high powered vehicles it just couldn't take it and they obviously had to take the AWD route then their boasting rights failed.

Where these vehicles listed above, using the AWD equivilent? (and what equal can that be if the SRT and G8 will not be here in 2 years)...

Haven't bothered to check all of your numbers...

Chrysler:

300C SRT8 is 13/19 and the 300C C AWD is 16/23.

GM

Impala SS (FWD) is 16/24

Pontiac G8 GT (RWD) 15/24

BMW

535xi (300HP V6) 16/25

550i 15/22

15/25 looks better than the V8's-- and adjust the GM products for 1-2 MPG for AWD...

Pontiac G8 13/20

Audi S-5 (2 door) 14/22

BMW 550i 15/23

Chrysler 300c SRT8 17/25

BMW 528i AWD 17/25

Lexus is 250 (smaller car) 20/25

Mercedes C300 17/25

Acura TL SH-AWD 17/25

So with these vehicles, all I'm seeing is that the fuel estimates are pretty close to the V8 in the 550i, or even the 300C SRT8 has a 17/25 which betters it by 2 CTY MPG and thats a larger V8. I just kept hearing "V8 performance, with V6 fuel efficiency", and I'm seeing "V8 performance with V8 fuel efficiency" instead. Only thing I can think of is maybe they were using that phrase if you were to take out the AWD equation from it, then I could see gaining a 1-2MPG, but because they are FWD high powered vehicles it just couldn't take it and they obviously had to take the AWD route then their boasting rights failed.

Where these vehicles listed above, using the AWD equivilent? (and what equal can that be if the SRT and G8 will not be here in 2 years)...

The 2009 300C AWD (5.7L) gets 16 city and 23 highway. So the Taurus does get V8 performance with slightly better highway fuel economy but not city. They both have comparable hp (370 for the Chrysler). The SRT8 used in the above comparison is not a true competitor for the SHO.

I'd have to say the Taurus gets V8 performance with the accompanying gas mileage. However, the fact that it gets the hp that it does with a V6 says more to me then its mpg.

Edited by Intrepidatious