Next Generation Mustang Wish List

joihan777

^ first part = FIXED

second part = are you old enuf to remember the "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature" commercials?

plus

doncha know that Cats don't like being laughed at -- and find ways to get even?

&

the MGM has nothing to do with the topic :P

but

if I "win the lottery", a very-custom Marquis is high on my list :D

AWD that can put 100% of its power to the rear wheels isn't satisfactory enough?

Like I said, there's still the Grand Marquis if RWD is a MUST for you. I'll race ya in an SHO. :shades:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

joihan, I saw a white Mustang with a parchment top today, it looked great. I'm starting more and more to side with you on the issue.

To add to this, now that I'm paying attention to it, most of the convertible Mustangs I've seen recently have had the parchment top.

• 2 weeks later...

After spending 14+ hrs in my Stang driving through the Sierra Nevada, I have another "wish," in bold:

1. Parchment interior option

2. Parchment Tops on convertibles option

3. An inch more leg space in rear

4. Rollover protection in convertibles

5. 6-Speed automatic transmission

6. A "Sport" mode on automatic transmission, with an economic mode as default (Sport changes transmission shiftpoints for quicker acceleration but still uses all 6 forward gears)

7. Cylinder deactivation

8. WINDVEIL BLUE !!!

9. Door detente @ 33% AND 66%

10. Power adjust on seatback angle

11. Telescoping steering wheel

12. A smaller steering wheel (The 06' feels 1" too big)

• 1 month later...

1) A

a second seatback lock would be nice...uncouple it from the side lever, so the rear lever lets the kids in and out without having to readjust the seat.

B

tip/slide like in the windstar would make the seats a lot more acessible too.

2) optional tinted rear glass from the factory- if vans can get rear privacy glass, why not cars? is there different laws?

3) lose the 2010 style rearend treatment...far too few like it, far too many outright complain about it

4) optional sunroof- seriously, I hate sunroofs, but my wife likes them...if her 07 had a sunroof, she would drive it everyday in the summer guaranteed, and shes kinda oldschool in that she'd shit if I cut her roof out for one. the glassback is neat, but dont let the wind blow thru like a sunroof. with the non structural center panel, cost off a manual or powered sunroof would be marginal.

5) I'll say it again- programmable mycolor, change speedometer color at certain speeds as anti ticket reminder- its free and would be a practical evolution of mycolor...theres another thread in here from a couple years ago where this was discussed- along with downloadable 'skins' for a lcd instrument cluster- actually think the new hybrid has one already, lose the leaves, make it fun, put in the mustang.

6)climate control...in this day and age why dont every car have this? never hasd it till my lincoln, and after enjoying NEVER having to touch the heater on a hot or cold day, fell in love with it once I realized what I was missing :)

7) inverse throttle radio volume- just the reverse of speed volume, but so you can hear the engine when youre getting on it...again its free and a natural evolution of speed volume

8) factory shaker hood- FUNCTIONAL or forget it...the GT appearance package scoop coulda been a lot better on the 09s.

9) engine appearance package option...I'd have GLADLY paid a extra hundred bucks for a painted engine and rear axle...or more...but even for a hundred bucks, it could be a profitable option I'm sure. aluminum and magnesium look even worse than cast iron as they oxidize...and the rusty rear axle leaves marks in the driveway. please fix this.

10) put the old 'power by ford' back on the valvecover castings. that looked good on the old 69 429s and 351Cs...

11) optional foglight delete on the gt...maybe offer a pony grille on the gt too. aftermarket will, why not get a slice of the pie for Ford?

12) dual rear antennas were cool, and theres something to be said for symmetry in my opinion.

13) better quality carpet- especially in the drivers footwell, that stuff in the 06 is like toiletpaper or something...foot pressure thru the floormats in mine has wore a hole in the carpet underneath...theres wall-mart cheep, then theres chinese junk cheep- the 06 carpet is crap.

hope I didnt bash tooo much- will close by saying the 06 is still the most fun, most perfect car Ive ever had, followed (distantly) by my 89 Mark VII. Keep up the good work(but please fix that 010 rearend!!!)

• 2 weeks later...

I like the 2010 rearend - and the rest of the car as well. Just spent a few days with a 2010 V6 Hertz Rental. I think overall the aesthetics of the car are excellent (and the sync is terrific for handsfree). Will seriously consider a 2011 GT or speciality once the new engines come out...

My wish list for the 2014 Mustang:

1) A new chassis. Seriously. Please.

2) New suspension geometry-- 5-link rear, maybe? Possibly? Please?

3) Slightly-downsized, lighter weight. This is not a dowdy, plebeian family sedan. If you can't fit 2 offensive linemen in the rear seats, so be it.

4) Front-mid-engine format, for better front/rear weight distribution. Yeah, I know, that has about as much a chance as Maria Sharapova marrying me-- but that's why it's called a "wish list!"

5) Cylinder deactivation on the V6 and V8.

6) Shelby GT-350 available in Performance White with Candy Red GT stripes. If they built it, I'd sleep with a thousand fat chicks at $50 each to afford one. (For those not in the know, that was a reference to the cartoon Family Guy).

1) A new chassis. Seriously. Please.

Any particular reasoning behind this one? My guess is unless GRWD gets fast-tracked soon, the Mustang will use D2C in its next iteration. It would be cost prohibitive otherwise. It's not like D2C has any major limitations as it is. Compared to other cars in its class, it's not too heavy. It can accomodate large V8 engines and IRS if so desired. It performs well in crash testing. If it sticks around, fine. It's not like its SN95 and still based on a platform developed two decades prior.

Edited by NickF1011

Some of the ideas are hopefully on the way!

The wish list thus far:

1. Parchment interior/convertible top option

2. An inch more leg space in rear

3. Rollover protection in convertibles

4. 6-Speed manual/ automatic transmissions

5. "Sport – Mode” on automatic transmission, with an economic mode as default (“Sport” changes shiftpoints/ engine behavior for quicker acceleration but still uses all 6 forward gears)

6. Cylinder deactivation on V8

7. WINDVEIL BLUE !!!

8. Door detente @ 33% AND 66%, the 06' detente is too narrow!

9. Power adjust on seatback angle & a second seatback lock so you don’t have to readjust the seat.

10. Telescoping steering wheel

11. A smaller steering wheel (The 06' feels 1" too big)

12. Optinal tinted rear glass from the factory

13. Optional sunroof...seriously.

14. Multi-programmable “Mycolor,” change speedometer color at certain speeds as anti ticket reminder. / Downloadable 'skins' for a LCD instrument cluster...more than just leaves.

15. Automatic climate control option.

16. Factory shaker hood- FUNCTIONAL or forget it.

17. Engine appearance package option, “Power By Ford” on the valvecover castings.

18. Optional foglight delete on the gt...maybe offer a pony grille on the GT.

19. Better quality carpet- especially in the drivers footwell.

20. Map pockets that can actually fit maps!

21. Shelby GT-350 available in Performance White with Candy Red GT stripes

22. ????? Inverse throttle radio volume option- so you can hear the engine when youre getting on it ?????

23. ????? Lose the 2010 style rearend treatment ?????

24. ????? Dual rear antennas ????? Maybe standard power antenna instead ?????

Edited by joihan777

2. An inch more leg space in rear

This car is too large already. Forget the back seat. It was never meant for fullsize passengers. Don't compromise the rest of the vehicle's size to change that.

3. Rollover protection in convertibles

4. 6-Speed manual/ automatic transmissions

Hopefully on the way in the next gen. The 6-speeds should be available next year with the new powertrains.

5. "Sport – Mode” on automatic transmission, with an economic mode as default (“Sport” changes shiftpoints/ engine behavior for quicker acceleration but still uses all 6 forward gears)

Wouldn't be too surprised to see paddle shifters finding their way into the car instead.

12. Optinal tinted rear glass from the factory

Might be a regulatory issue. I believe only trucks and hatchbacks can legally be tinted from the factory.

16. Inverse throttle radio volume option- so you can hear the engine when youre getting on it.

A bit silly, don't you think?

21. Map pockets that can actually fit maps!

Bigger map pockets or more leg room? I'll take more leg room. If you want both, get a bigger car. Don't make the Mustang larger...again! Besides, does anyone use these for anything other than trash bins these days anyway?

24. ????? Dual rear antennas ????? Maybe standard power antenna instead ?????

Or put the antenna in the front glass already.

The rear seats hardly fit my 5y/o's! 1" ain't much to ask for.

The paddle shifters sound like a good alternative.

Map pockets are already there, they're just a wee bit too small for standard commercial maps.

Do windshield antennas look OK & get same reception?

Agree with inverse radio volume thingy... just conglomerating other's ideas here ya know. Maybe better off as a Sync hack!

Edited by joihan777

The rear seats hardly fit my 5y/o's! 1" ain't much to ask for.

Oh come on, you are exaggerating just a tad there. I've had adults in the back of my '97 several times. Are they comfortable? Of course not. Are they supposed to be? Who cares? If you need to use your back seats on a regular basis, then a Mustang probably isn't for you.

Map pockets are already there, they're just a wee bit too small for standard commercial maps.

People still use paper maps?? :P

Do windshield antennas look OK & get same reception?

If done well, you won't even notice it is there. You can route the wire along the a-pillar in the "painted" area of the glass. Reception seems fine in the instances I have dealt with it (which are admittedly limited).

Oh come on, you are exaggerating just a tad there. I've had adults in the back of my '97 several times. Are they comfortable? Of course not. Are they supposed to be? Who cares? If you need to use your back seats on a regular basis, then a Mustang probably isn't for you.

No, I'm not exagerrating. My 5 y/o can't fit behind me period and my 3 y/o barely can. The problem is I'm 6'0", so my seat must go all the way back. The current backseat makes life very rough for her legs. One little inch would do a lot.

People still use paper maps??

I couldn't afford the GPS stuff, plus I like paper sometimes. Like I said, the current map pockets are erroneously 1" too shallow/wide. I think someone goofed in the design phase, there CAN'T be more than a few ounces worth of plastic saved by shorting the dimensions. C'mon Ford, fix it!

If done well, you won't even notice it is there. You can route the wire along the a-pillar in the "painted" area of the glass. Reception seems fine in the instances I have dealt with it (which are admittedly limited).

I can live with that... especially since the competition would still use regular antennas!

No, I'm not exagerrating. My 5 y/o can't fit behind me period and my 3 y/o barely can. The problem is I'm 6'0", so my seat must go all the way back. The current backseat makes life very rough for her legs. One little inch would do a lot.

Why is it that you can't fit a 5-year-old in the back seat of a larger-in-every-dimension S197 while I have been able to fit fullsize adults in the back seat of my SN95? :headscratch:

Why is it that you can't fit a 5-year-old in the back seat of a larger-in-every-dimension S197 while I have been able to fit fullsize adults in the back seat of my SN95? :headscratch:

The problem lies in the way the back of the frontseat angles straight down instead of curving forward at the bottom to follow the anatomical angle of the driver's butt.

Shorter people or children whose feet don't touch the floor end up having to angle their feet out. Even one inch of space would help.

My right knee nearly touches the dash so I can't scoot the chair forward for very long. For strange reason Ford right driver legspace SHORTER than the left leg's space. The inch I wish for could easily come from redoing the bottom of the dash.

6. Cylinder deactivation on V8

Ford doesn't seem to be into the cylinder deactivation (especially with EcoBoost)....does it really save that much fuel anyway?

9. Power adjust on seatback angle & a second seatback lock so you don’t have to readjust the seat.

Agreed.

10. Telescoping steering wheel

I wouldn't be suprised to see that on a redesigned model.

11. A smaller steering wheel (The 06' feels 1" too big)

A thicker steering wheel rim.....I drove a relative's '08 GT a week ago, and the steering wheel seemed a bit thin to me - I don't know if the '10's steering wheel is any thicker though.

13. Optional sunroof...seriously.

Agreed.....they should just stick the glass roof on sliders and have it retract over the rear glass when opened

15. Automatic climate control option.

Is this not on the 2010?

23. ????? Lose the 2010 style rearend treatment ?????

I have to disagree with that, I like the new rearend.

Or put the antenna in the front glass already.

I agree, like the Expedition.

The Expedition has (or our '04 did) an antenna that runs agross the top of the windshield (inside) just in front of the headliner. I've always been puzzled as to how that did not make it's way into every other vehicle in the lineup - I love the clean, antenna-less look.

A friend of mine who is 6'2" sat in the back seat of my 05 Mustang......admittedly we had to move the pasenger seat most of the way forward (front pasenger is about 5'9"), and it was cramped still....but he fit, more or less!

A friend of mine who is 6'2" sat in the back seat of my 05 Mustang......admittedly we had to move the pasenger seat most of the way forward (front pasenger is about 5'9"), and it was cramped still....but he fit, more or less!

And that's all it should really be meant for. Short hauls in utter discomfort. If you compromise and try to get anything more out of it, you run the risk of bloating it up too much. The real solution would be for Ford to offer a real performance sedan with similar sporting intentions to the Mustang. The SHO is good, but it's missing that flashiness and brute in-your-face appearance of the Mustang.

I can't remember if I posted this before, but I've got something to add to the wish list:

-- A way to make the top go flatter when folded down on convertibles - that was a reason my mom didn't want one because of how the top limited your view out the rear when it's down - it doesn't necessarily have to have a "fancy" separate panel that opens, stows the top, and closes, it could just be a more compact folding top...

Edited by rmc523

I can't remember if I posted this before, but I've got something to add to the wish list:

-- A way to make the top go flatter when folded down on convertibles - that was a reason my mom didn't want one because of how the top limited your view out the rear when it's down - it doesn't necessarily have to have a "fancy" separate panel that opens, stows the top, and closes, it could just be a more compact folding top...

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and guess that the next gen Mustang will have a retractable hard top.

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and guess that the next gen Mustang will have a retractable hard top.

That is the only way I would ever buy a Mustang convertible (I don't like the way they look with the top up)!

But I personally doubt it happens. Is this truly a wild stab Nick, or have you garnered some inside info?