More Ranger mule spy shots.

New photos of left-hand-drive future Ford Ranger mules reveal a bit more about Ford's next-generation global small truck. The single and double cab versions seen in these photos appear to share a common wheelbase, though the lumpy sheet metal they wear is strictly a placeholder for the future body-on-frame cab and cargo box we've yet to see. Overall, the new Ranger, expected by 2012, appears a bit larger than the current Ranger sold in the U.S., which isn't available in a four-door crew cab configuration.

The new pickup likely means all Ford Ranger models will be built on a single global platform, code-named T6, that's being designed in Australia. The current U.S.-built and overseas Ford Ranger models share only their names.

More here:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/05/spied...ord-ranger.html

As a two time Ranger owner, I cant say im too impressed with the looks. THe engines sound great, but i sure hope these are just drivetrain mules.

Bodies are not T6.

Chassis/suspension mules on modified current Global Rangers,

bodies were supplied by Auto Alliance Thailand (Mazda).

Edited by jpd80

They need a modern version of the 1983 Ranger, which was spot on for the time. Compact pickups were popular in the 80's and then the big hogs took away buyers.

Most small loads can be handled OK by a Ranger.

The current Global Ranger has a 1 tonne carrying capacity and can tow 6,600 lbs.

That makes for a pretty usable little truck...

• 2 weeks later...
Hopefully that's not the real front end. Its hideous.

I was gonna mention that but didn't since I noticed the Mazda style symbol in the middle of it

Whats the deal with the ugly flareside bed too...wow thats bad looking...but I guess its just flare out since the chassis is wider

I was gonna mention that but didn't since I noticed the Mazda style symbol in the middle of it

Whats the deal with the ugly flareside bed too...wow thats bad looking...but I guess its just flare out since the chassis is wider

That's the existing Thai Ranger box,

the tread width is much wider on T6 hence the gawdy stuck on flares....

FoA deliberately made the mule ugly, sticking a Mazda grille on it to take the piss out of Mazda engineers.

There's a story behind that for another time.

Edited by jpd80

That's the existing Thai Ranger box,

the tread width is much wider on T6 hence the gawdy stuck on flares....

FoA deliberately made the mule ugly, sticking a Mazda grille on it to take the piss out of Mazda engineers.

There's a story behind that for another time.

come on you can't leave it like that.