What vehicles will NOT be getting EcoBoost?

battyr

By 2013, more than 90 percent of Ford’s North American lineup will be available with EcoBoost technology.

What Vehicles will not be getting EcoBoost?

I think cars that belong to a common platform will get it first. Platforms like the C2, CD3, D3 will get it first.

I don't think the Crown Vic will get it. If it is still around by then. I don't think the Superduty trucks will get it.

At this point the F-150 is a maybe by 2013?

Well, technically, a lot of vehicles will not be getting EcoBoost. Available is not the same as standard. It might be available in the Focus, for example, but how many will actually have it? 10-20%? A more interesting figure would have been how many vehicles Ford expects to equip with an EcoBoost engine.

Well, technically, a lot of vehicles will not be getting EcoBoost. Available is not the same as standard. It might be available in the Focus, for example, but how many will actually have it? 10-20%? A more interesting figure would have been how many vehicles Ford expects to equip with an EcoBoost engine.

As long as it is an option, then the consumer has the choice to buy it or not.

If it is an option on most vehicles, then Ford must be pushing the engine and not rationing it.

As long as it is an option, then the consumer has the choice to buy it or not.

If it is an option on most vehicles, then Ford must be pushing the engine and not rationing it.

It's their main strategy to meet ever tightening CAFE limits. Released initially as engine options but later

you will see the likes of 1.2 EB replacing 2.0 I-4, 1.6 EB replacing 2.5 I-4 and 2.0 EB replacing 3.5 V6.

I read in one of Ford's press releases they intend selling something like 500,000 EBs a year by 2102(?)

It's their main strategy to meet ever tightening CAFE limits. Released initially as engine options but later

you will see the likes of 1.2 EB replacing 2.0 I-4, 1.6 EB replacing 2.5 I-4 and 2.0 EB replacing 3.5 V6.

I read in one of Ford's press releases they intend selling something like 500,000 EBs a year by 2102(?)

That's the way I see it. They wouldn't be pushing EB if it didn't work.

That's the way I see it. They wouldn't be pushing EB if it didn't work.

And while GM dithers around with HCCI maybe sometime in the future, Ford is out there already

selling Ecoboost and no doubt, working on the compression ignition phase maybe Ecoboost II.

And while GM dithers around with HCCI maybe sometime in the future, Ford is out there already

selling Ecoboost and no doubt, working on the compression ignition phase maybe Ecoboost II.

From what I understand, EB delivers better fuel efficiency than HCCI and it actually works. Maybe it can be added for EB II?

HCCI might be the Holy Grail for making diesel cleaner. Wizard, can you tell use more about HCCI?

From what I understand, EB delivers better fuel efficiency than HCCI and it actually works. Maybe it can be added for EB II?

HCCI might be the Holy Grail for making diesel cleaner. Wizard, can you tell use more about HCCI?

Either Mercedes Benz or VW are running a compression ignition phase on a S/C and Turboed engine - Golf springs to mind?

HCCI will only work on small engines. Ecoboost will perform, but it remains to be seen exactly what real-world fuel economy will be.

Real world fuel economy doesn't matter as much as official CAFE numbers.

This is all to do with Ford's meeting tougher CAFE and less to do with consumer fuel savings.

I thought that they had already announce the 3.5L EB in the F150 in 2011MY ?

E-series and SuperDuty F-series are likely no.

I think the sub-compact Fiesta also won't be getting any EcoBoost option.

Did Ford announce if there will be an EcoBoost engine smaller than the 1.6 EB?

PS: Will the E-series van still be around in 2013 or does Ford plan to be replace it with some global model based on the large euro Transit van (current or next gen)?

*edit" Its off-topic, so I started another thread on this topic: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=32913

Edited by AM2

I think the sub-compact Fiesta also won't be getting any EcoBoost option.

Did Ford announce if there will be an EcoBoost engine smaller than the 1.6 EB?

PS: Will the E-series van still be around in 2013 or does Ford plan to be replace it with some global model based on the large euro Transit van (current or next gen)?

*edit" Its off-topic, so I started another thread on this topic: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=32913

I understand that Ford is working on EcoBoost engines arround the 1.0L range. Will likely go in the new 3 cylinder Fox engine. It likely be a few years before they are out. They likely would only be available in Europle.

I would think EB is too pricey for the Fiesta in the US. This could change over time.

I understand that Ford is working on EcoBoost engines arround the 1.0L range. Will likely go in the new 3 cylinder Fox engine. It likely be a few years before they are out. They likely would only be available in Europle.

I would think EB is too pricey for the Fiesta in the US. This could change over time.

I see...

By the way, I read something before that the 1.6 liter EcoBoost is based on the European 1.6 liter Duratec. Has this been confirmed?

The current 1.6 liter Duratec is still based on the old Zetec SE engine which uses a timing belt instead of the timing chain found in the larger 1.8, 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 liter Duratec engines (which share their architecture with Mazda's MZR engines).

Does this mean the 1.6 liter EcoBoost uses a timing belt?

...or will Ford update it to use a timing chain like their other new engines?

The Iosis Max Concept is supposed to be powered by a 180PS 1.6 liter EcoBoost, but the entire engine is hidden under a plastic panel.

16eb.jpg

Edited by AM2

The current 1.6 liter Duratec is still based on the old Zetec SE engine which uses a timing belt instead of the timing chain found in the larger 1.8, 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 liter Duratec engines (which share their architecture with Mazda's MZR engines).

No it's not the same.

As of 2004, the engine is based on the Mazda MZR Duratec and has a timing chain.

I remember when the change happened in the Focus in Australia, the "Zetec" model actually had

the new Duratec 1.6 with the exhaust to the firewall, early Zetecs had the exhaust to the radiator.

Edited by jpd80

No it's not the same.

As of 2004, the engine is based on the Mazda MZR Duratec and has a timing chain.

I remember when the change happened in the Focus in Australia, the "Zetec" model actually had

the new Duratec 1.6 with the exhaust to the firewall, early Zetecs had the exhaust to the radiator.

The Zetec SE is not the same as the older Zetec/ Zetec E.

The older Zetec (2.0 Zetec E shown) has its exhaust facing the radiator...

20zetece.jpg

...but the slightly newer 1.6 Zetec SE has its exhaust facing the firewall.

16zetecse.jpg

The European 1.6 Duratec is based on the 1.6 Zetec SE (Sigma), not older Zetec/ Zetec E (Zeta).

1.6 Duratec (Focus Mk2)

16duratec.jpg

1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT (2009 Ford Fiesta)

2009ford16duratectivct.jpg

duratectivct1600.th.jpg

This is the European 1.6 liter Duratec Ti-VCT found in the new Fiesta (and some other european Fords), its a variable cam timing version of the regular Zetec based European 1.6 Duratec engine.

Even this updated version uses a timing belt.

duratectivct37bsized.jpg

The MZR based Duratec engines start with the 1.8 liter Duratec, not with the 1.6 liter Duratec.

Edited by AM2

I see...

By the way, I read something before that the 1.6 liter EcoBoost is based on the European 1.6 liter Duratec. Has this been confirmed?

The Iosis Max Concept is supposed to be powered by a 180PS 1.6 liter EcoBoost, but the entire engine is hidden under a plastic panel.

16eb.jpg

My understanding is that the 1.6L is the European version. I would consider position of the exhaust to be an unknown. The Zetec set-up was the old trend, the MZR is the new trend. All engine will end-up like the MZR.

I read one report that implied that the 2.0L EB was Zetec based. This likely came from the fact that it was being developed by Europe. I think this repord is wrong? Everything else says it MZR.

My understanding is that the 1.6L is the European version. I would consider position of the exhaust to be an unknown. The Zetec set-up was the old trend, the MZR is the new trend. All engine will end-up like the MZR.

The Zetec SE has the same layout as the latest MZR-based Duratecs (all have their exhaust facing the firewall), the biggest difference is the larger MZR-based Duratecs (1.8, 2.0, 2.3, 2.5) use timing chains, while the Zetec SE-based 1.4 Duratec, 1.6 Duratec & 1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT use a timing belt.

This is the 1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT found in the all-new 2009 Fiesta.

duratectivct37bsized.jpg

It still uses a timing belt.

I read one report that implied that the 2.0L EB was Zetec based. This likely came from the fact that it was being developed by Europe. I think this repord is wrong? Everything else says it MZR

I believe that info is for the 1.6 EB which is based on the Zetec SE-based 1.6 Duratec.

The 2.0 EB will most likely be based on the MZR-based 2.0 Duratec.

Current 4-cylinder Duratec engines found in European & US developed Ford models

1.25 Duratec (timing belt, Zetec SE-based, Sigma family)

1.4 Duratec (timing belt, Zetec SE-based, Sigma family)

1.6 Duratec (timing belt, Zetec SE-based, Sigma family)

1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT (timing belt, Zetec SE-based, Sigma family)

1.8 Duratec (timing chain, MZR-based)

2.0 Duratec (timing chain, MZR-based)

2.3 Duratec (timing chain, MZR-based)

2.5 Duratec (timing chain, MZR-based)

Now i'm wondering if Ford will give the 1.6 EcoBoost a timing chain, because when they released the newer 1.6 Duratec Ti-VCT, they still retained the timing belt instead of switching to the timing chain found in the newer bigger displacemtn MZR-based Duratecs.

Edited by AM2