GM considering G8 for core brand?

TomServo92

They need something to replace the Impala, don't they?

Replacing a 20,000 unit-per-month Impala with a 3000 unit-per-month G8 doesn't sound like the wisest of financial decisions, even though I'm pretty sure the G8 would at least double its sales if badged as a Chevrolet.

When it comes to it will GM really kill Pontiac? Why not simply allow it to survive as a niche sportscar brand? Let it plug the sporting gaps that the other brands will struggle to fill.

That was the plan, but I'm sure the gov't didn't like that plan, so in order to show they're changing, they'll drop the brand.

Replacing a 20,000 unit-per-month Impala with a 3000 unit-per-month G8 doesn't sound like the wisest of financial decisions, even though I'm pretty sure the G8 would at least double its sales if badged as a Chevrolet.

Especially when GM cancelled the RWD Impala at the eleventh hour, their decision to keep it FWD

and move it to the Epsilon II platform with Malibu is totally consistent with Ford's view of the market.

The rumor is that Holden have submitted a proposal to supply long and short wheelbase Zetas

to Cadillac, I don't think this will fly for several reasons but it could be a sign of GM consolidating

Sigma and Zeta RWD car manufacturing offshore in Australia - maybe something Ford should consider......

The rumor is that Holden have submitted a proposal to supply long and short wheelbase Zetas

to Cadillac, I don't think this will fly for several reasons but it could be a sign of GM consolidating

Sigma and Zeta RWD car manufacturing offshore in Australia - maybe something Ford should consider......

Well, word around is that Sigma is dead, so two wheelbases of Zeta would certainly be possible. Would love to see Ford pursue a similar route on that eventually.

Well, word around is that Sigma is dead, so two wheelbases of Zeta would certainly be possible. Would love to see Ford pursue a similar route on that eventually.

Both Holden and FoA are on a quest for better fuel economy, some exciting developments are possible.

The update Commodore is due in September and will be getting GM's DI V6s in 3o and 3.6 liters

and is expected to drop about 100 lbs in weight with even more reduction due in the 2012 update.

Ford is keeping tight lipped but rumors of an Ecoboost I-4 Falcon keep persisting.......

But does anyone looking for that type of car even have Buick on their radar anymore? It would be a wasted effort in my opinion.

I think for placement, as an resonably priced but upmarket performance sedan, it makes sense. It used to be common in the Olds/Pontiac/Buick line-up.

It still needs to be made here though.

It may take some time to catch on at Buick, but I think it could work. The General has stated that Buick is a "core" brand; hopefully this means they are planning more world-class products.

Pontiac's lineup hasn't exactly been inspiring as of late - yet, the car is definitely building momentum sitting on the lot with G3's (ack!), G5's (update plz?) and G6's (yawn). This, and the solstice is exactly the type of product Pontiac needs(ed) put it back on the radar of the average car buyer. Sadly, it's not going to happen.

But does anyone looking for that type of car even have Buick on their radar anymore? It would be a wasted effort in my opinion.

Chinese-built GM products will become inevitable for Buick especially when the dollar collapses. Other imports (as in; vehicles from Japan/Germany/Australia) will probably look like foolish choices by comparison.

They looked foolish the first time when the currency shifted against the G8.

Not sure that GM will import Park Avenue from China but it's a great product more fitting of Cadillac......

What I really expected to happen before the baiout fiasco was that GM NA would instead of a Pontiac, make instead the Holden as a limited offering RWD Impala SS while keeping the current FWD WImpala for fleets/retail, some touching up to the front and rear of the Holden would make it even more similiar in appearance to the NA FWD WImpala:

Lumina SS:

2182935810_98a72d2fc4.jpg

Or update the current FWD WImpala to better look like the Holden/Lumina SS.

Edited by Armada Master

What I really expected to happen before the baiout fiasco was that GM NA would instead of a Pontiac, make instead the Holden as a limited offering RWD Impala SS while keeping the current FWD WImpala for fleets/retail, some touching up to the front and rear of the Holden would make it even more similiar in appearance to the NA FWD WImpala:

Lumina SS:

2182935810_98a72d2fc4.jpg

Or update the current FWD WImpala to better look like the Holden/Lumina SS.

I gather the Impala is moving to the Malibu's Epsilon II platform in the near future,

maybe that's the perfect time for a bold make over adding some more room and style.

RWD Impala with unique wheelbase design was completed when GMNA cancelled it.