Honda Insight likely to miss U.S. sales target

Its hard to tell around here (LA). I have already counted about 6 new Insights in the last 3 weeks. Seems like a hot selling hybrid to me. Which makes me wonder why Ford did not decide to build a small inexpensive hybrid to come in at $18-19K range. It would be the perfect competitor. The Insight may take Toyota's crown for hybrid volume and for no other reason than price.

Whats the point if you dont make any money on it?

Well, your probably right.... however

The way i see it is: You really cant put a dollar value on the amount of attention you grab from the greenies and the younger generations in that car segment. It is such a great image builder. And when its time for those folks to upgrade, you can be assured that the next car they purchase will be of the same brand. Its a stout marketing tool.

In the end, I think it builds highly valuable loyalty and image.

Well, your probably right.... however

The way i see it is: You really cant put a dollar value on the amount of attention you grab from the greenies and the younger generations in that car segment. It is such a great image builder. And when its time for those folks to upgrade, you can be assured that the next car they purchase will be of the same brand. Its a stout marketing tool.

In the end, I think it builds highly valuable loyalty and image.

The fact that there are reports claiming that the Insight might miss first year targets, and a second set of reports claiming that there is a wait list for the Prius (again). Just goes to show that it's a bit too early to declare victory for Honda.

From what I've read the Insight has a cramped interior, handles like a wet noodle and barely returns superior fuel economy to that of even the Fusion Hybrid (while being much slower).