Sad Mercury Commerical

I was watching the news before heading into work this morning, it had Jill Wagner in it driving the 2010 Milan, which always a plus (looked great in the blue dress, but I digress)... anyways the thing that struck me was at the end of it, it had just two Products...the Mariner and Milan! Man I hope Mercury gets another car or two soon!

GM is on life support AFAIK. They did away with any unique body panels for it recently, so its really just a different grill, lighting lenses and trim. The mountaineer is in its final year from what I've heard. It goes when the current Explorer gets moved to its new unibody. I expect that the only two new things Mercury will be getting are a Focus derived small car and perhaps a boutique model from europe

GM is on life support AFAIK. They did away with any unique body panels for it recently, so its really just a different grill, lighting lenses and trim. The mountaineer is in its final year from what I've heard. It goes when the current Explorer gets moved to its new unibody. I expect that the only two new things Mercury will be getting are a Focus derived small car and perhaps a boutique model from europe

Why even bother? With the Taurus and Flex reaching into the high $30K's, is there even any room for Mercury anymore? I think not. Lincoln can pick up from there just fine.

Why even bother? With the Taurus and Flex reaching into the high $30K's, is there even any room for Mercury anymore? I think not. Lincoln can pick up from there just fine.

I agree. If the GM is going away, which was sort of the, umm, err, old persons car that still sold pretty well for Ford, then what is Mercury really offering? But, I suppose here's the bottom line: Would Ford really save much by eliminating Mercury? I realize that their cars are basically twins of the Ford counterparts, but they aren't EXACTLY the same, so theoretically, there would be some savings by not having to engineer the different sheet metal, design a different interior, etc.

But there wouldn't be any real dealership elimination costs or savings---with Lincoln having more models than Mercury, the LM stores could go Lincoln only or Ford stores could buy up a Lincoln dealer. So, to me, it seems like a wash all around, no?

Edited by BrewfanGRB

You need smaller/cheaper Vehicles to fill in up to the MKZ

Hopefully Mercury will have a unique car or two in its line up...a Convertible Focus and a Small MPV would be nice.

Though I wonder how tarted up they make a Mercury Focus?

Would Ford really save much by eliminating Mercury? I realize that their cars are basically twins of the Ford counterparts, but they aren't EXACTLY the same, so theoretically, there would be some savings by not having to engineer the different sheet metal, design a different interior, etc.

Except that, on balance, the cost of carrying Mercury is more than offset by its added volume.

Due to the low cost of carrying Mercury, the break-even for Mercury products is ridiculously low.

You need smaller/cheaper Vehicles to fill in up to the MKZ

Hopefully Mercury will have a unique car or two in its line up...a Convertible Focus and a Small MPV would be nice.

Though I wonder how tarted up they make a Mercury Focus?

Would love to see the next gen Focus CC badged as a Mercury. Perhaps the C-Max also.

I really see a lot of potential in Mercury, with a new mission focusing on more upscale looking small-midsize cars with some unique crossovers and the like added in. All of the unique models would of course be sourced from Europe, and added to Mercury so that these vehicles don't get lost in a crowded Ford showroom. Here are a variety of confirmed and potential Mercury offerings over the next 3 years...most won't make it probably but who knows?

-Mercury Small Sedan/Hatchback (2011 Focus) (Confirmed)

-Mercury Milan (midsize sedan that by 2012 or so will be merged with the NA Fusion and Euro Mondeo, thus opening the possability that Mercury could get the notchback 5door version or maybe even the Wagon version sold in Europe).

-Mercury Capri/Cougar: Ford of Europe is developing a small coupe (and possibly convertible) based on C1/2. This could easily be made a Mercury, and be labeled a Capri or Cougar...I'm rooting for Cougar.

-Mercury Monitor (B-CUV): Mercury could get the Euro "B-MAX" that is replacing the current Euro Ford Fusion...or Ford could get it.

-Mercury Mariner (C-CUV): I see no reason why Mercury couldnt continue with a 2012 Escape/Kuga variant. Yes, Lincoln will get a version too, but that will have unique sheetmetal and interior and cost thousands more.

-Mercury Messenger (Mini-Minivan): Fo Mo Co has confirmed that the next gen (2011-2012) C-MAX is coming over to NA...this would be great as a Mercury.

-Mercury Monterey (Minivan/Three row CUV): I think a next-gen Euro S-MAX or Galaxy would be cool. They should bring one of them over as a Mercury.)

Just my thoughts. My guess is Mercury by 2013 or so will have a lineup of 5 vehicles, maybe 6, but not more.

Except that, on balance, the cost of carrying Mercury is more than offset by its added volume.

Due to the low cost of carrying Mercury, the break-even for Mercury products is ridiculously low.

Well, jeez, then in that case, I don't understand why Ford treats Mercury like a red-headed stepchild. I don't have any interest in any of their products (to me, either the Ford equivalent is good enough or I would save up to move up to Lincoln), but obviously there is client out there that DOES...that's frustrating.

Always refreshing to see that someone keeps common (business) sense as a base when thinking about these issues. . . in lieu of an emotional basis. I have this gut feeling (like apparently some others) that Mercury will get new products down the line when the right time comes and funds are available.

Well, jeez, then in that case, I don't understand why Ford treats Mercury like a red-headed stepchild.

Because certain Ford products are uncomfortably close to Lincoln products--when in the same showroom (Flex, Edge)

Additionally, Mercury only works as long as the cost of differentiation is offset by increased volume.

This is why importing European vehicles is a non-starter. It would cost too much and wouldn't contribute volume to a NA product line.

'red head step child' is so overused and cliche' Think of something original and not demeaning.

I dont think the comercial is sad, the other products dont have any appeal to anyone anymore, The GM is for older people, when its finally gone most of its owners will be too, the ones that are left will move on to other products. The Mountainer even though a very nice SUV has the problem of being an SUV, no one wants one right now.

Mercury should focus on its core products that have mass appeal. im hoping by the end of this year we have the new small car promissed to us from Ford

'red head step child' is so overused and cliche' Think of something original and not demeaning.

tho not original,

my 2 favorites:

recent/current Mercury = Cinderella

future Mercury = Goldilocks

NEVER GIVE UP!