Ford Flex Sport

PREMiERdrum and I were discussing various Ford models the other day. He mentioned that he saw his first Explorer Sport (see picture), which includes the larger 20's and a "black appearance package" (that's what I'm gonna call it), which paints the lower trim and grille black, in this case on top of a red Explorer. This got me thinking......I wonder what a Flex Sport would look like. All I have is a front 3/4 for now, but am considering making a rear 3/4, depending on reactions to this chop. Anyway, here's the Explorer Sport picture, followed by two variations of the Flex Sport chop and the original picture:

1FMEU63E99UA01265-1.jpg

Flexsport7.jpg

Flexsport6.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

The first chop is a "basic" Flex sport. I blacked out the grille, headlights, taillights, foglights, and beltline. I also gave it a black roof, and body color door handles and mirrors. I took the 20" wheels from the Taurus SHO (I'd assume they'd fit the Flex?). I threw in a black Ford emblem on the grille too.

The second chop is the Flex sport with the optional "graphics package," which colors the hood louvers black, as well as the area of the bumper between the upper and middle grilles. I'm considering having the hood louvers be an additional option in case some like the bumper black, but not the hood paint.

-----

The reason I posted it here (and I'll also post an accompanying version in the "proper" Photochops section) was to create speculation as to whether something like this could be offered on Flex. Please let me know your thoughts on the chop or the idea....anything, really. Enjoy!

Edited by rmc523

The Flex sport is basically the EB model.

The EB Flex might be the "sporty" model, but were were talking about what would happen if they created a sport appearance package like they have for the Escape, Edge, and Explorer. All 3 feature smoked headlight and taillight housings, and the Explorer and Escape have blacked out grilles, different lower trim, piano black interiors, and upgraded wheels.

The EB Flex might be the "sporty" model, but were were talking about what would happen if they created a sport appearance package like they have for the Escape, Edge, and Explorer. All 3 feature smoked headlight and taillight housings, and the Explorer and Escape have blacked out grilles, different lower trim, piano black interiors, and upgraded wheels.

Exactly......I probably didn't explain it very well, but I'm pleased with what I was able to spit out, since I was up all night.

What do you think of the final results? I ended up not doing the "plain" 3-bar w/ FORD across the hood, but part of that's because I just wanted to post what I had done

I'll probably end up doing one eventually, though.

Exactly......I probably didn't explain it very well, but I'm pleased with what I was able to spit out, since I was up all night.

What do you think of the final results? I ended up not doing the "plain" 3-bar w/ FORD across the hood, but part of that's because I just wanted to post what I had done

I'll probably end up doing one eventually, though.

I really like it, and think that it's not too outlandish for a production vehicle. I still say that I'd take mine with the black and white checkerboard roof! :happy feet:

Who is the target market for the Flex? It's a people mover, so really, you're looking at soccer moms. Do you really think this type of package would appeal to them?

It's probably pretty cheap to do, so it wouldn't be a big deal. I just don't really think there is much of a point.

Who is the target market for the Flex? It's a people mover, so really, you're looking at soccer moms. Do you really think this type of package would appeal to them?

It's probably pretty cheap to do, so it wouldn't be a big deal. I just don't really think there is much of a point.

I'm not a "soccer mom" (although I did play soccer) by any means. And I don't think Flex has a specific market you can pinpoint and say "that's the buyer we're after." I mean sure you can say that, but whether or not that targeted buyer is the bulk of buyers is another. I think the Flex appeals to a wide variety of people, not just soccer moms.

Do you not think that offering a package such as this (which you mention would probably be cheap to do) would help Flex appeal to more/other buyers?

It is a people mover, but it's also got a different funky look to it that is appealing to people that want it for reasons other than it "people hauling". Of the few Flex's I've seen on the road, I mostly see men driving them, and most of them are fully loaded Limited models. A Sport version with an EB option would be cool. Mild body kit, big wheels (at least 22"), monochromatic paint scheme w/black chrome grill & smoked head/tail lights, no roof rack, etc., kind of like the Edge Sport.

2009%20Ford%20Edge%20Sport.jpg

A Flex Sport concept at SEMA would be cool...

Edited by NLPRacing

It is a people mover, but it's also got a different funky look to it that is appealing to people that want it for reasons other than it "people hauling". Of the few Flex's I've seen on the road, I mostly see men driving them, and most of them are fully loaded Limited models. A Sport version with an EB option would be cool. Mild body kit, big wheels (at least 22"), monochromatic paint scheme w/black chrome grill & smoked head/tail lights, no roof rack, etc., kind of like the Edge Sport.

2009%20Ford%20Edge%20Sport.jpg

A Flex Sport concept at SEMA would be cool...

I've got the Edge Sport's 22"s on my Flex:

cleanflex1.jpg

I think some appearance options would be a great idea for the Flex. Style is a big reason people would choose it in the first place (not that that is the only reason). I imagine a lot of Flex customers made a choice to compromise some of the practicality of a minivan because they really like the look. People that have already shown to value the styling, probably would be willing to spend more for additional appearance options.

Instead of/or in addition to a special factory model, maybe Ford should consider a line of dealer installed accesories to let the buyer customize.

I think some appearance options would be a great idea for the Flex. Style is a big reason people would choose it in the first place (not that that is the only reason). I imagine a lot of Flex customers made a choice to compromise some of the practicality of a minivan because they really like the look. People that have already shown to value the styling, probably would be willing to spend more for additional appearance options.

Instead of/or in addition to a special factory model, maybe Ford should consider a line of dealer installed accesories to let the buyer customize.

I agree with your assessment, and think that could be a good idea.

I agree with your assessment, and think that could be a good idea.

that stuff is avail NOW...its not dealer installed though, one can drop the car ( Eibach ) put different wheels, 3d Carbon makes a classy body kit...what else is there? welded chain steering wheel?

that stuff is avail NOW...its not dealer installed though, one can drop the car ( Eibach ) put different wheels, 3d Carbon makes a classy body kit...what else is there? welded chain steering wheel?

Can you finance and warranty it with the new car purchase? I would guess a lot more people would do those things if the cost was rolled into the loan.

I'm not a "soccer mom" (although I did play soccer) by any means. And I don't think Flex has a specific market you can pinpoint and say "that's the buyer we're after." I mean sure you can say that, but whether or not that targeted buyer is the bulk of buyers is another. I think the Flex appeals to a wide variety of people, not just soccer moms.

Do you not think that offering a package such as this (which you mention would probably be cheap to do) would help Flex appeal to more/other buyers?

Of course not all buyers are in the target market, but it doesn't make sense to market to people not in the target market.

Would it help the Flex appeal to more people? I don't know. I think the days of people getting bigger vehicles who have little need for the room may be done. While a few years ago, one could trick out a Flex instead of, say, a Tahoe, I don't think that's going to happen much anymore.

Can you finance and warranty it with the new car purchase? I would guess a lot more people would do those things if the cost was rolled into the loan.

sure you can finance it, and add ons of any type come with their own specific warranties simialar to what Ford would have...add ons have always been that way...now MECHANICAL is a different story, but I for one wouldn't mess underhood anymore...especially with Eco-boost now....

Well sorry. Thanks for ruining my idea and my day. :cry:

just kidding :shades:

Those look great!!

Did you order them through a dealership, or hang around outside DPG until the tire room scrapped a set?

How does it ride and drive with those big rollers?

Thanks. Got 'em through eBay LOL.

It still drives very well....not as big of a difference between the 19's and 22's as you might think, at least that I've noticed.

I like it, and since the Flex is supposed to be he anti-minivan it makes sense. Besides, the Explorer that you got the idea from has driven more moms to soccer games than all other cars combined. Wasn't that the whole point of SUV's? They take you and your family to the grocery store, but they're not minivans, station wagons or some other lame form of transportation.

Edited by V8 Ford

How do you guys envision a Flex Sport and/or a Flex SHO?

What would be the similarities & differences? Why would one choose a Sport over a SHO (or vice-versa)?

BTW RMC, your Flex looks very cool. I bet you get a lot of curious stares! The rims add just enough chrome without being too *bling*

How do you guys envision a Flex Sport and/or a Flex SHO?

What would be the similarities & differences? Why would one choose a Sport over a SHO (or vice-versa)?

BTW RMC, your Flex looks very cool. I bet you get a lot of curious stares! The rims add just enough chrome without being too *bling*

I think I have an answer, i just want to clarify one thing before I present it. When you says "Sport" are you meaning like my chop, where it's the regular 3.5 with just appearance changes, or are you including the EB motor? Second, when you say "Flex SHO" do you mean the EB model?

What if Ford just uses Nelly's or Foose's Flex customization design as the sport model...they both look pretty good.

While it's a good thought, I think they may be "too" custom to justify? They likely spent a lot on custom wheels and redoing the various things to make "their" Flex. I could be completely wrong, but that's my assumption/thought.

While it's a good thought, I think they may be "too" custom to justify? They likely spent a lot on custom wheels and redoing the various things to make "their" Flex. I could be completely wrong, but that's my assumption/thought.

I don't think they did spend that much on the Foose one.. I remember reading an article that stated they were trying to keep the costs of it down, and that they were successful in doing so. If it didnt cost Foose that much, then it will cost Ford less considering the fact that they can make more of them and in doing so make it cheaper. I believe they spent more on the Nelly version but, i believe ford could make it and keep the costs down.

Also i a tired of the Sport models only being based primarily on looks.... I want something that makes it feel sporty. I want a better suspension, better brakes, better transmission, better tires(not bigger BETTER) lower to the ground, possible ecoboost engine(the one in the taurus if possible).

but thats just what i want...

I don't think they did spend that much on the Foose one.. I remember reading an article that stated they were trying to keep the costs of it down, and that they were successful in doing so. If it didnt cost Foose that much, then it will cost Ford less considering the fact that they can make more of them and in doing so make it cheaper. I believe they spent more on the Nelly version but, i believe ford could make it and keep the costs down.

Also i a tired of the Sport models only being based primarily on looks.... I want something that makes it feel sporty. I want a better suspension, better brakes, better transmission, better tires(not bigger BETTER) lower to the ground, possible ecoboost engine(the one in the taurus if possible).

but thats just what i want...

That might be a bit too expensive. I'd like something similar to the Edge Sport with a sport suspension but with lighter wheels. There was a recent test where an Edge Sport came in 3rd out of three, mainly because of the excessive weight of the 22 inch wheels and tires (they said the person who made the decision should be shot). I'd rather see the extra cost go to much lighter 20's with a performance all season tire.