ford shows 1.6l ecoboost

Can someone clarify for me if the 1.6L Ecoboost is a member of the New I4 family. Sure looks like it from the pictures but it has a timing belt rather than chain and it is being built at Bridgend which built Zetec.

I do remember reading an article before that the 1.6 EcoBoost is supposed to be based on the current 1.6 Duratec (which is based on the old Zetec-SE), I was just expecting them to give it a timing chain since all the larger displacement (newer generation) Duratecs (1.8 and up) use timing chains.

Edited by AM2

I have ZERO objection to a belt if the engine can mimic the smoothness of the imports that also shun chains....just means a 60k replacement, BUT the press always comments about perceived JAPANESE smooth spinners...belts are a large part if that......

sure, as long as they can figure out a way to not make it cost an arm and a leg to replace the belt, theres also no way its due at only 60k.

sure, as long as they can figure out a way to not make it cost an arm and a leg to replace the belt, theres also no way its due at only 60k.

Japanese have been doing it for years and you NEVER seem to hear anyone bitching about it or replacement cost...my ex's Acuras was due at 60k...she went too long, no internal damage thank goodness....

Japanese have been doing it for years and you NEVER seem to hear anyone bitching about it or replacement cost...my ex's Acuras was due at 60k...she went too long, no internal damage thank goodness....

Newer Hondas and Toyotas have 90K belt replacement intervals. My Acura has a timing Chain that does not need to be replaced during normal service intervals. Its only recommended that it is checked out at 120K.

I would imagine the 1.6L EcoBoost would have a similar 100K belt replacement schedule.

Newer Hondas and Toyotas have 90K belt replacement intervals. My Acura has a timing Chain that does not need to be replaced during normal service intervals. Its only recommended that it is checked out at 120K.

I would imagine the 1.6L EcoBoost would have a similar 100K belt replacement schedule.

there we go....seems belts have progressed as well....I'm just tired of the scribes descriptions such as " not as smooth as........"