The New Ford.....Figo

It's exciting that Ford that the ability to invest capital in projects such as these (assuming the China announcement on Friday). Both markets represent future growth, and hopefully even more economies of scale over time for global products. Ford has a long way to go in China, but this upcoming announcement at least demonstrates Ford intends to get in the game in a much more definitive way in that marketplace .

Now im wondering, since the ikon is a sedan...does this replace it or in addition to it?

I'm not really sure. The Ikon is based off the Fiesta platform and the Figo also looks to be last-generation Fiesta. One article I read indicates the retail price will be between $6,000-$8,000 and will compete a the top end of the Nano.

Developing products for developing and "third world" countries is not easy. You are under tremendous cost/price pressure. In addition, different "moral values" among the competitors in terms of safety, emissions, and quality can play a big part.

Ford devoted significant advanced work around 10 years ago to develop a car for emerging markets -- in particular India. The proposal was actually strikingly similar to the Tata Nano in concept with a small engine, plastic panels, web seats. Easy assembly with all panels color molded in. Two cylinder engine. It's almost as if Tata got the plans from Ford. But, as I mentioned above, Ford has a set of "inviolables" on safety, emissions, and quality. Part of what killed the project was the piling on of cost (and weight) for those items as well as the investment for plant and unique powertrain components.

After the unique product proposal failed, FoE developed a cost-down Fiesta which has at least kept Ford's foot in the door. But Ford is not a big player in India and really needs to step up the game.

I don't think the global Fusion mini-ute is long for this world.

I thought it was being discontinued after it's current form? I remember reading something along those lines.....or at the very least the name was to be dropped to avoid confusion between the Euro and US Fusions.