Dissapointed

I am going to take a few minutes to discuss my disappointment with Ford and the Explorer/ Sport Trac. After being stationed in Germany and moved to Alaska last fall I needed a new vehicle that could handle the harsh environment. I had known a few people that had Explorer’s/ Sport Trac's who really liked them so when I got to Alaska I visited my local Ford dealer and purchased one.

The vehicle runs without issue, this is not a complaint of vehicle performance or reliability. What this is is a complaint of Ford strategy, design, or marketing.

What I thought that I purchased was a 4x4 vehicle that had some off highway capability and at the very least emergency capability. I now know that what I have purchased is an over glorified road vehicle that Ford has marketed to the active person who doesn't require his vehicle to do much else than drive to an adventure park parking lot. In reality a Ford Focus is just a capable at accomplishing that mission.

I find it foolish that Ford provides a low range transfer case but no tow hooks, skid plates or under body protection. Ford, why equip a vehicle with a low range 4x4 and not with tow hooks and under body protection? Why aren't these things offered as options or accessories? Every other manufacture offers them, even Kia. When I called to talk with a Ford Customer Service rep she referred me to my dealership. When I went to my dealership they couldn't answer any of my questions.

I really feel like Ford intentionally pulled a fast one on me and am disappointed.

Next, why isn't there a locking rear axle? Again, the vehicle has a low range transfer case and came equipped with a V8, why not a locking rear axle option, tow hooks, and under body protection?

These items are important because I live and an icy or mushy environment for large parts of the year. During the winter when vehicles slide off of the roads they tend to slide tail first into the snow. If my vehicle does how can anyone pull it out? If I am required to pull someone else's vehicle back on the road how can I? Not only are there are no front tow hooks there aren't any on the back of the vehicle as well!

There are times when the limited slip or traction control is useful, there are times when a locking rear axle would be beneficial. Too bad Ford doesn't give people a choice.

Why does the whole front of the vehicle have to be chrome? At first it was ok, now it just bugs me. Are there any options? I would even consider swapping it out with a dark grille from one of the other models if no other options exist.

I think that the four wheel independent suspension is great. I also think that the chassis rails that are almost flat from front to rear is a great engineering accomplishment. If I had known that the rear half-shafts passed through the frame I would have never purchased this vehicle.

Why aren't there any aftermarket accessories for this vehicle? There seem to be plenty that specialize in specific Toyota and Nissan models, why not the Explorer? If I am correct the Toyota FJ sells less than fifty percent of the total Explorer/ Mountainer/ Sport Trac models than Ford sells. Why no accessories? Why won't U-Haul rent a trailer to an Explorer tow vehicle? If there were I wouldn't be so critical of Ford. Had I know prior to moving back to the States that aftermarket manufacturers treated the Explorer as if it had the plague I would have made a better decision.

I admit that I have ownership of the poor decision that lead to the purchase of this vehicle but, given the fact that I moved from Europe to Alaska with only weeks to get my wife settled before deploying to Afghanistan I really feel that Ford misrepresented this vehicle and I feel taken advantage of.

I am trying to find a reason not to get rid of it.

I"m sorry about your disappointment with the capabilities of your ST. I agree with you that this isn't an real off-road vehicle, it is a suburban hauler for those who want to haul a boat, family and have a bed for the few times it's needed. It does it's intended purpose very well so you can't blame Ford, it's designers or marketing for your dissatisfaction. Hopefully it will serve you well enough and be a lesson learned that will be valuable with future purchases. I know how disappointing it is to realize something you paid so much money for isn't fully what you expected. I have made similar purchasing errors in the past but have learned from each of them. It sound to me, with your expectations and requirements, you should have purchased a full size pickup optioned the way you wanted. Check you local and state laws regarding vehicle purchases, you may be able to turn it back in if you haven't had it for very long. And ff you just bought the ST you may be able to talk the dealer in to taking it back if you purchase another truck from them (like an F150).

Good luck and hope it all works out for the best.

I am going to take a few minutes to discuss my disappointment with Ford and the Explorer/ Sport Trac. After being stationed in Germany and moved to Alaska last fall I needed a new vehicle that could handle the harsh environment. I had known a few people that had Explorer’s/ Sport Trac's who really liked them so when I got to Alaska I visited my local Ford dealer and purchased one.

The vehicle runs without issue, this is not a complaint of vehicle performance or reliability. What this is is a complaint of Ford strategy, design, or marketing.

What I thought that I purchased was a 4x4 vehicle that had some off highway capability and at the very least emergency capability. I now know that what I have purchased is an over glorified road vehicle that Ford has marketed to the active person who doesn't require his vehicle to do much else than drive to an adventure park parking lot. In reality a Ford Focus is just a capable at accomplishing that mission.

I find it foolish that Ford provides a low range transfer case but no tow hooks, skid plates or under body protection. Ford, why equip a vehicle with a low range 4x4 and not with tow hooks and under body protection? Why aren't these things offered as options or accessories? Every other manufacture offers them, even Kia. When I called to talk with a Ford Customer Service rep she referred me to my dealership. When I went to my dealership they couldn't answer any of my questions.

I really feel like Ford intentionally pulled a fast one on me and am disappointed.

Next, why isn't there a locking rear axle? Again, the vehicle has a low range transfer case and came equipped with a V8, why not a locking rear axle option, tow hooks, and under body protection?

These items are important because I live and an icy or mushy environment for large parts of the year. During the winter when vehicles slide off of the roads they tend to slide tail first into the snow. If my vehicle does how can anyone pull it out? If I am required to pull someone else's vehicle back on the road how can I? Not only are there are no front tow hooks there aren't any on the back of the vehicle as well!

There are times when the limited slip or traction control is useful, there are times when a locking rear axle would be beneficial. Too bad Ford doesn't give people a choice.

Why does the whole front of the vehicle have to be chrome? At first it was ok, now it just bugs me. Are there any options? I would even consider swapping it out with a dark grille from one of the other models if no other options exist.

I think that the four wheel independent suspension is great. I also think that the chassis rails that are almost flat from front to rear is a great engineering accomplishment. If I had known that the rear half-shafts passed through the frame I would have never purchased this vehicle.

Why aren't there any aftermarket accessories for this vehicle? There seem to be plenty that specialize in specific Toyota and Nissan models, why not the Explorer? If I am correct the Toyota FJ sells less than fifty percent of the total Explorer/ Mountainer/ Sport Trac models than Ford sells. Why no accessories? Why won't U-Haul rent a trailer to an Explorer tow vehicle? If there were I wouldn't be so critical of Ford. Had I know prior to moving back to the States that aftermarket manufacturers treated the Explorer as if it had the plague I would have made a better decision.

I admit that I have ownership of the poor decision that lead to the purchase of this vehicle but, given the fact that I moved from Europe to Alaska with only weeks to get my wife settled before deploying to Afghanistan I really feel that Ford misrepresented this vehicle and I feel taken advantage of.

I am trying to find a reason not to get rid of it.

-----------------cut line----------------------------

You hit the nail right on the head!!!!! You have to take ownership for your decision. There was no misrepresentation on Fords part…you failed to do your research. I’m in the military as well and PCS all the time. The internet is a powerful tool and has the means to aid in your research. The Explorer is a very capable vehicle both on and off road. I have had mine for over 12 years. If you keep your Explorer, I feel over time, you will find the vehicle will meet or exceed you every demand.

Edited by hindy

E thanks for the response but I don't think that it is Ford's or the states responsibility to fix my bad decision. I will eventually figure something out but I do feel that Ford marketed the vehicle a little dishonestly.

Unless they showed ads with skid plates and tow hooks - they did not market it dishonestly. You made bad assumptions about things which you could have easily seen within 5 minutes of looking at the vehicle in the parking lot or checking the spec sheet.

• Like 1

The vehicle is advertised in off road situations, the frame stiffness is touted which is used for towing and off road situations, and the vehicle comes with a two speed transfer case with 4 wheel drive low. Further, they do offer under body protection for fleet users that my dealer will not order for me.

Ford intentionally oversold it's capabilities and cheaped out on some important parts because they believe that their buyers really only need to drive to a parking lot.

My wife's SAAB has a front tow hook. I can not imagine a vehicle being sold without one except now somehow I own one.

To answer your question about a limited slip differential. Ford Vehicles with Stability control do not use a limited slip diff because the two wheels would be linked together. Thus, in a slide, the ABS module would apply one rear brake to pull you back inline. But if the two tires are linked through a Limited slip, then both tires would want to slow down. That could possibly cause more instability. The idea is that the traction control will apply the brake to the spinning wheel to make the other side pull if needed like a limited slip.

As far as I know, the Explorer has never been known or marketed as serious off roader. The older models had a gas tank skid plate and transfer case skid plate. But as you said the newer do not.

I think you maybe surprised how well your explorer with a all terrain tire will do in bad weather, but its not a rock climber. I did not know U-haul is still not renting to new explorers. I knew that was a issue with the old ones when the Firestone disaster was around. But I see no need in it now.

Good luck in whatever you decide

The vehicle is advertised in off road situations, the frame stiffness is touted which is used for towing and off road situations, and the vehicle comes with a two speed transfer case with 4 wheel drive low. Further, they do offer under body protection for fleet users that my dealer will not order for me.

Ford intentionally oversold it's capabilities and cheaped out on some important parts because they believe that their buyers really only need to drive to a parking lot.

My wife's SAAB has a front tow hook. I can not imagine a vehicle being sold without one except now somehow I own one.

The SAAB has a front tow hook because it's a European requirement - period. My 2000 LS had one for the same reason - that doesn't mean it's off road capable.

You had the opportunity to check all of these things that are now so important to you before you purchased one. You chose not to and made assumptions. Deal with it.

To answer your question about a limited slip differential. Ford Vehicles with Stability control do not use a limited slip diff because the two wheels would be linked together. Thus, in a slide, the ABS module would apply one rear brake to pull you back inline. But if the two tires are linked through a Limited slip, then both tires would want to slow down. That could possibly cause more instability. The idea is that the traction control will apply the brake to the spinning wheel to make the other side pull if needed like a limited slip.

As far as I know, the Explorer has never been known or marketed as serious off roader. The older models had a gas tank skid plate and transfer case skid plate. But as you said the newer do not.

I think you maybe surprised how well your explorer with a all terrain tire will do in bad weather, but its not a rock climber. I did not know U-haul is still not renting to new explorers. I knew that was a issue with the old ones when the Firestone disaster was around. But I see no need in it now.

Good luck in whatever you decide

Tech, thanks for the info. I wasn't looking for a rock crawler so that point is understood but I was looking for something with basic off road capabilities so there should be a way to recover the vehicle without having to call a tow truck. I would be upset if I required a tow because I bottomed out on the transfer case, the oil pan, or put a hole in the fule tank. I will be furious if I slide off of the road in the snow and have to call a tow truck to pull me out because there is nowhere to hook up a tow strap to the vehicle.

The SAAB has a front tow hook because it's a European requirement - period. My 2000 LS had one for the same reason - that doesn't mean it's off road capable.

You had the opportunity to check all of these things that are now so important to you before you purchased one. You chose not to and made assumptions. Deal with it.

Thanks for restating what I said two times now.

One thing I forgot to ask. You are correct Fleet vehicles do offer a skid plate package. You said your dealer will not order them for you? Meaning, your dealerships parts department will not order you some skid plates? To me, if thats basicaly your main concern, I would just order some and have them installed.

When I get a second, I will check with parts and see they offer skid plates and tow hooks.

Edited by fordtech1

One thing I forgot to ask. You are correct Fleet vehicles do offer a skid plate package. You said your dealer will not order them for you? Meaning, your dealerships parts department will not order you some skid plates? To me, if thats basicaly your main concern, I would just order some and have them installed.

When I get a second, I will check with parts and see they offer skid plates and tow hooks.

Ok I took a few mins to look around for ya. Skid plates are avalible. As far as tow hooks. The 02-05 models have optional tow hooks. I looked under both body styles and since the frames are relatively the same between 02-05 and 06-10 they should fit. The only reason they won't fit is due to front bumper fascia. You possibly could purchase tow hooks for 02-05 and they should fit, but bumper modifications would be a must. I am not sure how it would look.

Check with a hitch/4x4 company and see of they offer any tow hook solutions. I think if you put on some decently aggressive tires plus add the skid plates and maybe tow hooks, you would end up happy with its performance in most situations.

Side note: I wouldn't compare a FJ to a explorer. A Trail blazer would be more of a apples to apples comparason. FWIW, last FJ and Nissan Exterra I drove/ rode in. The explorer is so much nicer as a daily driver.

Thanks, while on vacation in Texas a dealership there said pretty much the exact same thing so I didn't think much about it thinking that I would purcahse the parts at a later time. When I got back up to Alaska the dealership said no way, now how. The skid plates were fleet only and the tow hooks were not rated for my machine, they are for the Explorer Sport or other models. Bottom line is they would not sell me anything.

I do own a hitch tow hook which takes care of the back, the front is another problem. Adding holes and hooks to something that wasn't designed for them will take some work, I don't want to intentionally make it look stupid. Will probably go with a brush guard that has them depending on how that may affect the air bags in the event of a crash. Additionally the guard will probably help out if I become a modern hunter and kill a moose with my vehicle.

I appreciate your attempt to help. My frustration comes from the fact that I bought into Fords advertising scheme for the vehicle, was shocked at when I learned that specific items are not available, spent considerable effort to correct these deficiencies, was unsuccessful in correcting the deficiencies (Ford customer care, dealership, aftermarket or lack of aftermarket support), and now I am in Afghanistan upset at the whole situation.

Even the back cover of the 2009 brochure says "No road, No problem". But it really is a problem, I feel taken advantage of.

Sounds like you didn't do your homework before you purchased. Don't blame Ford because you didn't do your homework. The Sport Trac is a fantastic truck for the weekend warrior/homeowner. I just traded my 09 Toyota Tacoma quad cab for a Sport Trac and couldn't be happier. The Sport Trac has a short bed for hauling bikes, junk to the landfill, and other homeowner type tasks. The roof rack is great for two kayaks and the ride and interior are both miles ahead of a Tacoma. 4 wheel drive for those snowy days in New England is just fine. The Sport Trac fits a niche very nicely. Here in New England, I see a lot of them and for good reason.

What "scheme" are you talking about? I believe in the brochure they show the truck on a dirt road. They don't show it competeing in rock climbs, having skid plates, or coming standard with tow hooks. You ASSUMED it did. Don't bitch about it being a scheme or Ford "misrepresenting" the truck, 'cause you're just passing the buck.

For the record, I've been mudding in a ST, and it did pretty damned well. Yes we got stuck, but guess what, Ford didn't sell it as a mudbogger.

As long as you use a little common sense about where you take the truck, you'll be fine. Skidplates and tow hooks aren't going to make it go through the snow any better.

As for the limited slip, there are only a few vehicles that offer that, and they are usually offered on the off road packaged vehicles. Nismo and such.

Sounds like you didn't do your homework before you purchased. Don't blame Ford because you didn't do your homework. The Sport Trac is a fantastic truck for the weekend warrior/homeowner. I just traded my 09 Toyota Tacoma quad cab for a Sport Trac and couldn't be happier. The Sport Trac has a short bed for hauling bikes, junk to the landfill, and other homeowner type tasks. The roof rack is great for two kayaks and the ride and interior are both miles ahead of a Tacoma. 4 wheel drive for those snowy days in New England is just fine. The Sport Trac fits a niche very nicely. Here in New England, I see a lot of them and for good reason.

Except the jobs that you claim the Sport Trac does so well are done equally well by a Focus. I know because I also own one. It did recycling, weekly ran on the Autobahn at or near it's rev limiter, carried projects home from the home improvement store or Ikea, carried up to three bicycles, one more could be carried inside with the wheels removed, with two wheel drive and winter tires handled the snow and ice of Bavaria without issue, carried four people almost comfortably, and European Fords often come with roof rails so thats a wash also.

Since you are talking about bicycles you should know that I am a cyclist. I can not satisfactorily get any of my bicycles into the bed of the Sport Trac without removing both wheels. This isn't a problem with my road bikes or mountain bikes but the bikes that I ride with my wife must be laid on top of eachother with the wheels turned. Sure, I knew this and have a fix for it but in it's natural form it isn't "that great". Now for my Triumph Daytona 955i. It fits but barely, canted off center and the rear wheel must be lifted so that the ramp can be placed underneath it to unload it. This doesn't bother me though but, it isn't as useful as you make it out to sound.

The difference is that my Focus was around $12,000 while my Sport Trac was much more expensive and gets much worse fuel milage.

Plus, the Focus has tow hooks. Now lets talk about my other vehcile the SAAB. It is far nicer and sportier than the Focus, exceeds the capabilities of the Focus, and cost less than the Sport Trac. Should I add that it has both front and rear tow hooks?

The brochure says "No Roads, No Problem".

You may be able to get the vehicle retrofitted with these options such as tow hooks and skid plates. But understand that there are fewer manufacturers that make these available because of CAFE restrictions. All of these components add weight to the vehicle. Functional skid plates can add several hundred pounds to the gross weight of the truck and thus hurt the fuel economy. Right now, fuel economy is the one of the top reasons cited for crushing Explorer sales.

What others have stated is true. You can't overlook even the smallest of details. When I comparison shopped recently, I was shocked the BMW does not provide a spare tire on their 3 Series car... not even as an option since there is no place to mount one. BMW instead fits the car with run-flat tires that cost a fortune to replace.

Except the jobs that you claim the Sport Trac does so well are done equally well by a Focus. I know because I also own one. It did recycling, weekly ran on the Autobahn at or near it's rev limiter, carried projects home from the home improvement store or Ikea, carried up to three bicycles, one more could be carried inside with the wheels removed, with two wheel drive and winter tires handled the snow and ice of Bavaria without issue, carried four people almost comfortably, and European Fords often come with roof rails so thats a wash also.

Since you are talking about bicycles you should know that I am a cyclist. I can not satisfactorily get any of my bicycles into the bed of the Sport Trac without removing both wheels. This isn't a problem with my road bikes or mountain bikes but the bikes that I ride with my wife must be laid on top of eachother with the wheels turned. Sure, I knew this and have a fix for it but in it's natural form it isn't "that great". Now for my Triumph Daytona 955i. It fits but barely, canted off center and the rear wheel must be lifted so that the ramp can be placed underneath it to unload it. This doesn't bother me though but, it isn't as useful as you make it out to sound.

The difference is that my Focus was around $12,000 while my Sport Trac was much more expensive and gets much worse fuel milage.

Plus, the Focus has tow hooks. Now lets talk about my other vehcile the SAAB. It is far nicer and sportier than the Focus, exceeds the capabilities of the Focus, and cost less than the Sport Trac. Should I add that it has both front and rear tow hooks?

Ahhh... Dude, you could have just said you were an idiot three pages ago and saved us a bunch of typing. Now you're saying that the Focus is a more capable off-road vehicle??? 'Cause it has tow hooks?!?!

Beat it, jagoff.

Edited by chiefstang
  • Like 1

You may be able to get the vehicle retrofitted with these options such as tow hooks and skid plates. But understand that there are fewer manufacturers that make these available because of CAFE restrictions. All of these components add weight to the vehicle. Functional skid plates can add several hundred pounds to the gross weight of the truck and thus hurt the fuel economy. Right now, fuel economy is the one of the top reasons cited for crushing Explorer sales.

What others have stated is true. You can't overlook even the smallest of details. When I comparison shopped recently, I was shocked the BMW does not provide a spare tire on their 3 Series car... not even as an option since there is no place to mount one. BMW instead fits the car with run-flat tires that cost a fortune to replace.

I agree but I clearly stated that I had limited time and I will expand: I had just moved from Europe to the states, there is only one dealer in the part of Alaska that I live in, I was also working to find a house, have my furniture delivered and set up and, prepare for a year long deployment to Afghanistan. Add on top of that that there are no dealerships in Germany that sell Sport Tracs. As stated I assumed risk but a four wheel drive vehicle with low range should come with tow hooks and skid plates as an option at the very least. It makes no sense that they don't come with them.

I could buy your explanation on the aftermarket parts except that there are aftermarket parts and suppliers for the Toyota FJ. The Explorer series of vehicles has been sold since the early 90s and sells many times over what the FJ sells and there are no or limited aftermarket parts for the Explorer series. They simply should exist but the don't.

The BMW does offer the spare as an option. The reason that the BMW doesn't come with a spare tire is because technology permits tires that can get you to a service station, you shouldn't be far from a service station. There is no technology that negates the purpose of tow hooks and skid plates on a four wheel drive vehicle.

Ford was deceptive in it's vehicle marketing.

Ahhh... Dude, you could have just said you were an idiot three pages ago and saved us a bunch of typing. Now you're saying that the Focus is a more capable off-road vehicle??? 'Cause it has tow hooks?!?!

Beat it, jagoff.

Did someone kick your dog or are you just one of those dudes whose ignorance is only overshadowed by his arrogance? If someone kicked your dog, don't worry, we all have bad weeks.

I agree but I clearly stated that I had limited time and I will expand: I had just moved from Europe to the states, there is only one dealer in the part of Alaska that I live in, I was also working to find a house, have my furniture delivered and set up and, prepare for a year long deployment to Afghanistan. Add on top of that that there are no dealerships in Germany that sell Sport Tracs. As stated I assumed risk but a four wheel drive vehicle with low range should come with tow hooks and skid plates as an option at the very least. It makes no sense that they don't come with them.

I could buy your explanation on the aftermarket parts except that there are aftermarket parts and suppliers for the Toyota FJ. The Explorer series of vehicles has been sold since the early 90s and sells many times over what the FJ sells and there are no or limited aftermarket parts for the Explorer series. They simply should exist but the don't.

The BMW does offer the spare as an option. The reason that the BMW doesn't come with a spare tire is because technology permits tires that can get you to a service station, you shouldn't be far from a service station. There is no technology that negates the purpose of tow hooks and skid plates on a four wheel drive vehicle.

Ford was deceptive in it's vehicle marketing.

Let me first tell you what my dad taught me a LONG d**n time ago: 4 wheel drive just gets you further away from help when you get stuck. In other words, go as far as you can in 2 wheel then use 4 wheel to hopefully get you out of trouble, instead of further in. As for hooks and plates: You really don't need either. The flat frame rails do an extrordinary job of protectng the componentry of the vehicle. All components are tucked up pretty darn far in the frame. Skid plates would just serve as a shovel for gouging snow and crap up and allowing a place to induce rust. AS for tow hooks, there are NUMEROUS places where there are holes in the frame to allow for the transports to hook em down. They are more than adequate for vehicle retrieval, trust me. If not, go down to your local farm supply store and buy a good, big clevis and a nylon tow/retrieval strap. If you can't get any rig out with those two items, you will need a tow truck anyway.

As for the low range t-case, it is for pulling heavy things at low speed, nothing else. I.E. a boat out of the water, a stump out of the ground. Low range is useless for much of anything else. It cannot get you out of anything that high range can't (snow, mud, ice), unless you are rock crawling.

Explorer has a low aftermarket following because most who own them use them for their overall utility. A good family/toy hauler with some 4wd capablity. Explorer gave up some off road capablity in favor of WAY better roll over resistance and saftey. Explorer owners are people do not want/need big tires and a suspenson lift to make up for manly shortcomings. They are a dfferent target audience than FJ owners which bought their vehicles because they 'look' off road and want to add parts to make them look more off road. By a lot of accounts its a poseur which strives to be a Jeep. It is "little man" syndrome at its finest.

Add to that, most 'off roaders' want a cheap lift that any knuckle dragger can install. Explorer's suspension does not lend itself to 'easy' lifts, which keeps the aftermarket from developing parts. If they can't develop it for cheap and sell a lot of units, they are not going to because the profitability is low.

A final thought: No amout of vehicle equipment can help out with lack of material between the ears. Drive approprately for the conditons and you won't need to retrieve it anyway.

Let me first tell you what my dad taught me a LONG d**n time ago: 4 wheel drive just gets you further away from help when you get stuck. In other words, go as far as you can in 2 wheel then use 4 wheel to hopefully get you out of trouble, instead of further in. As for hooks and plates: You really don't need either. The flat frame rails do an extrordinary job of protectng the componentry of the vehicle. All components are tucked up pretty darn far in the frame. Skid plates would just serve as a shovel for gouging snow and crap up and allowing a place to induce rust. AS for tow hooks, there are NUMEROUS places where there are holes in the frame to allow for the transports to hook em down. They are more than adequate for vehicle retrieval, trust me. If not, go down to your local farm supply store and buy a good, big clevis and a nylon tow/retrieval strap. If you can't get any rig out with those two items, you will need a tow truck anyway.

As for the low range t-case, it is for pulling heavy things at low speed, nothing else. I.E. a boat out of the water, a stump out of the ground. Low range is useless for much of anything else. It cannot get you out of anything that high range can't (snow, mud, ice), unless you are rock crawling.

Explorer has a low aftermarket following because most who own them use them for their overall utility. A good family/toy hauler with some 4wd capablity. Explorer gave up some off road capablity in favor of WAY better roll over resistance and saftey. Explorer owners are people do not want/need big tires and a suspenson lift to make up for manly shortcomings. They are a dfferent target audience than FJ owners which bought their vehicles because they 'look' off road and want to add parts to make them look more off road. By a lot of accounts its a poseur which strives to be a Jeep. It is "little man" syndrome at its finest.

Add to that, most 'off roaders' want a cheap lift that any knuckle dragger can install. Explorer's suspension does not lend itself to 'easy' lifts, which keeps the aftermarket from developing parts. If they can't develop it for cheap and sell a lot of units, they are not going to because the profitability is low.

A final thought: No amout of vehicle equipment can help out with lack of material between the ears. Drive approprately for the conditons and you won't need to retrieve it anyway.

Makes sense and I agree. While I have no problem running a HMMWV hard I know that they can take it. It is alot of fun to keep pace with an M1 or M2 over broken ground and their capabilities are really amazing. While I have never been stuck mostly due to technique (mud, slush, snow, etc...) my Ford is not a HMMWV and I don't drive it as such. But, from an always be prepared stand point it could use some improvement.

I agree that there are places to make the modifications and I already have them mapped out, it is unfortunate that Ford did not include them with the basic package.