Deals on 6.0's are great!

betaiota

Ok everyone I've never owned a diesel, but always wanted one. I'm just starting to search for a weekend truck so I can downsize the Explorer when it's paid off. My ideal situation would be to find one of the last of the 7.3's roaming around with under 50k on the odometer, and while that's possible to find, those owners know how good the motors are (hence the price they can command).

Then I see all these 6.0's out there with amazing deals. I'm aware of the problems they've had. But there has to be a high number of good motors that were produced too, right? Like, if a 6.0 has made it past 40k and has had all of the recall work and any other mechanical work done, and it's running great now, then I shouldn't be too scared of what might happen in the future? Have they worked out all the bugs?

Finally, I have seen some 'factory buy-backs.' Huge deals on those, but would I be inviting trouble?

Ok everyone I've never owned a diesel, but always wanted one. I'm just starting to search for a weekend truck so I can downsize the Explorer when it's paid off. My ideal situation would be to find one of the last of the 7.3's roaming around with under 50k on the odometer, and while that's possible to find, those owners know how good the motors are (hence the price they can command).

Then I see all these 6.0's out there with amazing deals. I'm aware of the problems they've had. But there has to be a high number of good motors that were produced too, right? Like, if a 6.0 has made it past 40k and has had all of the recall work and any other mechanical work done, and it's running great now, then I shouldn't be too scared of what might happen in the future? Have they worked out all the bugs?

Finally, I have seen some 'factory buy-backs.' Huge deals on those, but would I be inviting trouble?

A seven-year-old 7.3 diesel with such low mileage can be more risk than a high mileage 6.0. These engines were meant to work and be used regularly and not sit around. Sitting around affects fuel, filters, fluids, seals, tires, and promotes rust/oxidation of metal components. On the other hand, if an engine were used regularly, serviced regularly, and not abused, it should not be written off just because some of them have had problems.

You are not going to find many 7.3's with under or around 50k as most people hold on to them or they were just plowed with if they have 50k, I would not be afraid to go with a 7.3 with over 100k as they are extremely reliable powerplants that go for 300k and more with proper care, Now a 6.0 with 100k I would run away from ( Actually I would run away from any 6.0) as if it has not had the headgaskets, egr cooler, and turbo done yet it will more than likely eventually need them and most certainly before 200k without an act from god. I have found that a 7.3 with 200k will be more reliable than a 6.0 with 100k. Just think about why there are so many 6.0's on the market for cheap, I faced this same dilema a couple months ago as I was finding 6.0's newer and cheaper than 7.3's with lower miles but waited it out and got a well taken care of 7.3 that I am confident will take me to 300k and beyond if I desire.

My diesel mechanic has been trying to work out a few bugs in my 2004 6.0L diesel. Overall he's not super familiar with them yet as most of them are just now starting to get out of factory warranty (until that point most people go the dealer route for repairs). From what he has seen, and from a serviceability standpoint, he highly recommends the 2002 7.3L diesel (I believe some 03's have it as well). He says its a stout engine that is proven and has had most the kinks of previous model years worked out of it.

Look at 3 valve V-10's with the Torqshift, vs any 6.0l. MUCH higher reliability. Much lower maintainance. They can be stored and or not driven daily. Power really (stock to stock) is not that much different. 325 horse and 570 lb ft for the 6.0l but 362 horse and 457 lb ft of torque from the v-10. And non stock 6.0's WILL blow headgaskets, no ifs ands or buts. There will now be a million people that will try and tell you that their 6.0l with X tuner hasn't blown headgaskts yet. The keyword is yet.

6.0's take twice as much oil per change, 4x as many fuel filter changes (15k miles or 400 engine hours), and MUST maintain clean coolant or you will blow EGR coolers. In addition they must be WORKED daily. They will not tolerate sitting. Sitting leads to the numerous reports of numerous turbos. Those folks who have had mulitple turbos installed are not using the truck as it needs to be. It must be driven like stolen, and papmered like a hemorroidal bunghole when parked. And all of it will cost you more money.

V-10 fuel mileage is not the highest, 10-14 highway and 8 towing, but with diesel FAR more costly than gas where I am, the split in mileage is not so bad.

Edited by YT90SC

I wouldn't be afraid of a 6.0 if it has had all of its recalls done to it (OASIS). I've been extensively exposed to three 6.0s, two 04s and an 07. Once the recalls were done we quit having problems with the 04s, and with the 07 we didn't have any problems at all. I was told most of the updates done to the 6.0 were done in 05 and have been a pretty fair diesel since. As for the 7.3, my truck at work is a 96 f350 with a 7.3 and its had problems too, it leaks oil and for awhile it would just die for unexplained reasons, but after that was fixed with $875 it hasn't done it since. Going from one to the other with a trailer behind it the 6.0 out pulls the 7.3 hands down, not even a close comparison. And yes the 7.3 was available half way in to the 03 model year I think. If you have money to sink into the diesel buy a cheaper 6.0 and put an egr bypass or bigger cooler on it and stronger head studs. I wouldn't recommend putting a chip in it, it should get you by with stock power.

Thanks everyone- a lot of things to think about. I've never bought any vehicle used, let alone a diesel, so this is all new to me.

If the 7.3 wants work everyday, I can't provide that. I don't need any tuner chip, and wouldn't buy an engine that wasn't stock. And with the problems worked out of the 05's and on, maybe I'll start tracking those.

Thanks everyone- a lot of things to think about. I've never bought any vehicle used, let alone a diesel, so this is all new to me.

If the 7.3 wants work everyday, I can't provide that. I don't need any tuner chip, and wouldn't buy an engine that wasn't stock. And with the problems worked out of the 05's and on, maybe I'll start tracking those.

You are Bass Ackwards. The 7.3 will tolerate a 'grocery getter' status a LOT better than a 6.0l. IT doesn't have a VGT or EGR to get rusted/carboned up. Also beware that the automatic with the 7.3 (E4OD) was the weak link. Average service life, no matter how maintained is about 150k miles. With the 6.0l, the trans (torqshift) will outlast the engine, unless you have a tuner box that does not defuel on shifts. (EDGE) Even then, it will outlast a 'built' E4OD.

Again, check out the V10. Maintainance costs are about a third of the diesel.

If you just cannot avoid the little man syndrome, buy ONLY motorcraft filters (fuel and oil), do not use anything but the stock airfilter. Nothing filters better, and contrary to popular belief, there is little to no gain for installing an aftermarket engine duster.

Just got back my 6.0L from the shop. Tracked all my problems down to a little exhaust leak off the turbo (which kept it from spooling properly). All I can say is WOW! I can't believe the power it has now - bone stock. I was comtemplating a tuner, but now that its all working properly, don't have any reason to want one.

The stock 6.0's will also lift head gaskets, have seen that a few times. The EGR is also a terrible design and will coke up. The good thing about 6.0's is that they have had SO MANY problems, mechanics are very familiar with them. They can diagnose problems pretty accurately without monkey fucking around hunting for the problem.

• 4 months later...

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post. But as far as having to work the 7.3 for best results. I can say that my 03 7.3 that I bought new in Aug. 02 is probably the most reliable, best running vehicle that I have ever owned. I do pull a 30 ft. 5th wheel camper a few times during the summer for a few local trips and 3 or 4, 200- 600 mile runs..

The rest of the time it's my daily driver, I am retired now, so mostly errands, go here and there, short trips 5-35 mile range. This venicle runs better all the time and I only have at present 39,575 miles on it. So if you can find a 7.3 that you like and have it checked out by somone familar with diesels, don't think that you have to drive it like a long haul trucker. They have great engines, if properly maintained

Good Luck, Ed

Edited by 2003f350