Cougar

timmm55

I think it may be the fact that the lower part of the front bumper is (or at least appears to be) sticking a bit too far out. It makes me think of a sting ray or something LOL.

It wasn't an accident. The body work pulls back sharply from the lower leading edge. It's the antithesis of the 67-70 Cougar's anti-aerodynamics. IMHO a new Cougar has to be state-of-the-art...leave the heavy retro cues to the Mustang.

It wasn't an accident. The body work pulls back sharply from the lower leading edge. It's the antithesis of the 67-70 Cougar's anti-aerodynamics. IMHO a new Cougar has to be state-of-the-art...leave the heavy retro cues to the Mustang.

I knew you made it that way on purpose......you asked what I didn't like about it, and that's it.

I've always liked that one.....a lot.

Did you change the front bumper at all? This one looks better, maybe it's just the color...

Raised the grill, flattened the leading edge, rounded the opening to the fenders. yeah..just a bit LOL.

Edited by timmm55

My best friend in college had a brand new 1970 Cougar XR-7 Convertible that I got to drive frequently. I owned two of my own afterwards... 1974 & 1976 Cougar XR-7's. I had the '76 Cougar when I did my first national tour with Ice Capades. What a great car to drive all over the USA & Canada.

If Mercury was ever to introduce a new generation Cougar, which I would love to see but seriously doubt will ever happen, I'd want it to look like a classic Cougar... long hood, short decklid, tuck-away headlamps and sequential turn signals. While many disagree or question the constant Mustang "Retro" styling, I think it would/could be a real asset for a new Cougar series. Build it on a stretched Mustang chassis and make it more of a personal luxury car like the Cougar's were years ago. For a lot of us, in a lot of ways, Cougar was like a poor man's Mark IV.

The designs look great and thank you for contributing them. The only thing I don't care for is the sloping, aerodynamic hood line.

Thanks again!

• 4 months later...

i had hoped there would be a Cougar off the Mustang, perhaps with the refresh last year. If Mercury is ever going to return it will need a Cougar eventually.

cougarELIM5.jpg

very nice work Tim, I think it looks too much like the Stang though. If mercury and lincoln are going to remake themselves they are going to have to stop looking like Fords.

Edited by Reigner92

very nice work Tim, I think it looks too much like the Stang though. If mercury and lincoln are going to remake themselves they are going to have to stop looking like Fords.

On the other hand they'd have to share some things. Mercury isn't Lincoln where they can have totally unique body panels. As if a different hood, doors, fenders, roof, grill weren't enough?

Edited by timmm55

On the other hand they'd have to share some things. Mercury isn't Lincoln where they can have totally unique body panels. As if a different hood, doors, fenders, roof, grill weren't enough?

The car still looks like a Mustang though. Think the Nissan 370z and the Infiniti G35. Those 2 cars are very much the same however they appear nearly completely different.

your previous chop would, in my mind, look much better and help to distinguish the mercury brand as a seperate division. http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33141-couple-of-cougars/

Edited by Reigner92

i had hoped there would be a Cougar off the Mustang, perhaps with the refresh last year. If Mercury is ever going to return it will need a Cougar eventually.

cougarELIM5.jpg

I like it a lot. I particularly like the shape of the roof, the rear side windows, and the unique side body line. Build it and let Mustang be the pony car and let this be the nicely equipped sporty coupe. Offer only a 6 speed automatic with V6s - the 3.7L as standard on the Cougar and the EB/TT 3.5L in the Cougar XR-7.

Could you change the color to bright red??

Edited by T'Cal

cougarELIM5.jpg

I like the front end, the roofline, and the rear spoiler. The rear fenders should be more like the red XR-7 above. These look too much like the Mustang's.

A refresh couldn't have given us a Cougar, as the roof structure couldn't change. It would've looked like a Mustang with a Cougar grille. Hopefully, with the 2014 version, they will have put some engineering into two different rooflines (but I'm not holding my breath).

I've done that already........just something different, more modern.

anotherXR72.jpg

Cougarx43.jpg

I drove Cougar's in the '70's back when Cougar was marketed under the "Sign of the Cat" and as the Mercury, personal luxury version of its big brother Lincoln Mark IV. My best friend in college had a brand new 1970 Cougar XR-7 Convertible and I owned a 1974 Cougar XR-7 (Slate Blue w/Full White Vinyl Roof & Blue Interior) which I then traded-in for a 1976 model that I kept for 4 years. Wish I still had my 1976 Cougar XR-7... Creme with creme landau top and creme interior.

I love the ntoched roof treatment and the rear end, obviously with sequential turn signals like the Cougar had years ago and now used on the 2010 Mustang. I'm not sure that the front end is quite there yet. I'd love to see it more like the nose on the 1970 Cougar XR-7 with the tuck-away headlamps. Forget the "Shaker" hood treatment as it doesn't fit the traditional Cougar style. Make it a longer wheelbase version on the Mustang chassis but a personal luxury version with decent rear leg room.

Hopefully someone from Ford and Mercury is paying attention to these great designs!

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 1

A refresh couldn't have given us a Cougar, as the roof structure couldn't change. It would've looked like a Mustang with a Cougar grille. Hopefully, with the 2014 version, they will have put some engineering into two different rooflines (but I'm not holding my breath).

Yes, that is probably true. But I had imagined using the convertible glass with the rear quarter windows with a new fixed roof. Structually I don't know if they can work around the current top hat. Hey it's just a photoshop, I know it's not happening this time around. I can dream, can't I? !

Forget the "Shaker" hood treatment as it doesn't fit the traditional Cougar style. Make it a longer wheelbase version on the Mustang chassis but a personal luxury version with decent rear leg room.

Hopefully someone from Ford and Mercury is paying attention to these great designs!

Thanks. It's not a "shaker" it's an Eliminator/GT-E inspired hood scoop.

DSC00088.jpg

Could you change the color to bright red??

Sure

BTW I originally did this one (pre-color change tho) WITH hidden headlights. But, with the Eliminator, I made more of a semi- transparent "under glass" look. There aren't any hidden headlights anymore that I can think of. Mostly due to cost, weight and added complexity.

I would love for hidden headlights to come back. Cars look so much better with them. If a car's grill/front end DO mimic a human "face"........then Ray-Ban sunglasses are a lot cooler than Bug-eyes!

cougarOamericaR.jpg

Edited by timmm55
  • Like 1