CBS Investigation / Congressional Hearing Thread

PREMiERdrum

LaHood says that Toyota's bizarre and proprietary 'black box' days are numbered.

The DC delegate is criticizing Toyota for 'a culture of secrecy'.

wow, youre lapping this up Rich...lol, a Great White in the midst of chum....my guess on the Black Box is its Toyotas hedge against falsified warranty claims.....Ford has something similar in the ECU on Turbodiesels....except its not really secretive, acess is easy for techs and the like...

wow, youre lapping this up Rich...lol, a Great White in the midst of chum....my guess on the Black Box is its Toyotas hedge against falsified warranty claims.....Ford has something similar in the ECU on Turbodiesels....except its not really secretive, acess is easy for techs and the like...

Not exactly lapping it up. I've got it on while I'm working.

----

The 'black box' is the 'Event Data Recorder', unlike the 'on board diagnostic' computer (e.g. the ECU on turbodiesels), the event data recorder's output is not standardized by federal regulation. The "EDR" is similar to an airplane's black box data recorder.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler have published their event data recorder codes. Toyota's system can only be read by one or two machines in the US, owned by Toyota and only authorized for use by Toyota employees.

Edited by RichardJensen

Not exactly lapping it up. I've got it on while I'm working.

----

The 'black box' is the 'Event Data Recorder', unlike the 'on board diagnostic' computer (e.g. the ECU on turbodiesels), the event data recorder's output is not standardized by federal regulation. The "EDR" is similar to an airplane's black box data recorder.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler have published their event data recorder codes. Toyota's system can only be read by one or two machines in the US, owned by Toyota and only authorized for use by Toyota employees.

answered with the theme from Jaws in the background.....only TWO machines? kinda defeats the purpose really, and has to PISS customers off in the event that they have a claim that wont be signed off on UNTILL said machine is available!!!! WOW!

answered with the theme from Jaws in the background.....only TWO machines? kinda defeats the purpose really, and has to PISS customers off in the event that they have a claim that wont be signed off on UNTILL said machine is available!!!! WOW!

Those machines are not involved in warranty claims. They would be useful in defect investigation and accident investigation.

LaHood being taken to task for Cobalt investigation after over a thousand complaints being followed by an investigation into the Corolla based on 80 or so complaints.

Frustratingly, nobody in the room was in a position to add this tidbit of information:

The Corolla uses a power steering system that is similar to and manufactured by the same company as the Cobalt.

That's why the investigation was broadened to include the Corolla.

LaHood being taken to task for Cobalt investigation after over a thousand complaints being followed by an investigation into the Corolla based on 80 or so complaints.

Frustratingly, nobody in the room was in a position to add this tidbit of information:

The Corolla uses a power steering system that is similar to and manufactured by the same company as the Cobalt.

That's why the investigation was broadened to include the Corolla.

You mean the Chevy Cobalt? Why isn't this in the news? :stop:

Those machines are not involved in warranty claims. They would be useful in defect investigation and accident investigation.

I find THIS disturbing...lets take the poor bugger that got JAILED when his brakes supposedly failed during a sudden acceleration resulting in multiple deaths ....IF, his "black Box" could have been used to prove his innocence but the box was "swept under the mat" as such by Toyota, or just as bad IGNORED because it could incriminate the manufacturer.....WOW, attourneys are going to have a field day when the dust settles...IF it ever does....

I find THIS disturbing...lets take the poor bugger that got JAILED when his brakes supposedly failed during a sudden acceleration resulting in multiple deaths ....IF, his "black Box" could have been used to prove his innocence but the box was "swept under the mat" as such by Toyota, or just as bad IGNORED because it could incriminate the manufacturer.....WOW, attourneys are going to have a field day when the dust settles...IF it ever does....

No black box back then, but if there was an EDR, his defense attorney has the authority to compel, by suboena, data recovery by Toyota.

No black box back then, but if there was an EDR, his defense attorney has the authority to compel, by suboena, data recovery by Toyota.

bummer....but the ramifications, and the smoking gun may have bearing on more recent accidents/ deaths...I wonder if a "black box" will be demanded and disected?

bummer....but the ramifications, and the smoking gun may have bearing on more recent accidents/ deaths...I wonder if a "black box" will be demanded and disected?

LaHood clarified his position:

Asserted that black boxes should be optional, but if included, they should have standardized collection and output.

----

Also, the guy in Minneapolis was driving a Camry with a mechanical linkage.

LaHood clarified his position:

Asserted that black boxes should be optional, but if included, they should have standardized collection and output.

----

Also, the guy in Minneapolis was driving a Camry with a mechanical linkage.

relly wonder what the Purpose of that black box is....but hey, as for the guy in Minne, apparently hes not the ONLY guy in a 96 that had the issue...then again it could have been mats or...GOD FORBID....lousy driving...but right now with all thats going on with toyota, sure raises question in regards to his predicament....

It is perhaps not a good idea to summon medieval Japanese imagery..... Medieval British justice was no less barbaric, and no more applicable to today's legal environment.

Toyoda is disavowing the last decade and a half of Toyota policy.

(warning to Hyundai--who is busy trying to imitate what Toyota stupidly did over the past fifteen years or so).

Edited by RichardJensen