CBS Investigation / Congressional Hearing Thread

PREMiERdrum

I'll edit to add video when it becomes available, but CBS just had a great piece on the internal documents that have been handed over regarding the SUA events... engineers within Toyota have been working on software "fixes" since 2006, according to their own documents.

As the piece came on, everyone in the newsroom looked at me and my 11pm producer said "Holy crap! That's what you've been saying all along!"

CBS Investigation...

Congress already has thousands of pages of Toyota documents to sift through, but CBS News obtained one internal document that could be devastating to Toyota's claims that electronics aren't at issue.

CBS News has learned that as early as 2005 Toyota engineers were redesigning software in response to complaints of cars surging unexpectedly, reports CBS News Correspondent Sharyl Attkisson.

That could be crucial because publicly Toyota has insisted for six years - through eight federal investigations - that electronics are not to blame when its cars surge, sometimes out of control.

CBS News

And from ABC...

A flaw in the design of Toyota's electronic acceleration system prevents the car's onboard computer from detecting and stopping certain short circuits that can trigger sudden speed surges, according to a professor of automotive technology, Dave Gilbert of Southern Illinois University's auto technology department.

As a result, Gilbert told ABC News, the Toyota computers will not record an error code, nor will they activate the "fail safe" system designed to shut down the power and put the car in the "limp home" mode.

Kane said the fact that the cars' onboard computers fail to detect the error could help to explain why Toyota has dismissed complaints from car owners about acceleration surges.

"We're hearing from consumers that Toyota tells them it can't possibly happen and if it did, it would set an error code. Well, in fact it doesn't," said Kane.

ABC News

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Take a look at this screencap from the ABC News / Brian Ross investigation...

Toyotascreencap.jpg

This video was being shot as the professor had shorted the Accelerator sensor and the car accelerated wildly. Look at the warning lights on the cluster: the seatbelt light is on (although Brian Ross clearly has his belt on), the door ajar light is on (although all doors are closed), The brake light is on, and the spedometer looks to be sitting at zero MPH (despite the high speed)

Electrical problem, anyone?

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Take a look at this screencap from the ABC News / Brian Ross investigation...

Toyotascreencap.jpg

This video was being shot as the professor had shorted the Accelerator sensor and the car accelerated wildly. Look at the warning lights on the cluster: the seatbelt light is on (although Brian Ross clearly has his belt on), the door ajar light is on (although all doors are closed), The brake light is on, and the spedometer looks to be sitting at zero MPH (despite the high speed)

Electrical problem, anyone?

I bet what you are seeing is a result of film editing. ABC most likely filmed the shot of the revving tachometer at a different time when the car was stationary. Hence the doors open, seat belt light on, brake light on, and 0 MPH.

Whether this particular failure is causing the sudden acceleration or not, the video does blow a hole in the Toyota statement that no electronic failure can cause sudden acceleration, or can happen without a trouble code being recorded. And it sure didn't take years of testing to determine this fact.

I bet what you are seeing is a result of film editing. ABC most likely filmed the shot of the revving tachometer at a different time when the car was stationary. Hence the doors open, seat belt light on, brake light on, and 0 MPH.

Whether this particular failure is causing the sudden acceleration or not, the video does blow a hole in the Toyota statement that no electronic failure can cause sudden acceleration, or can happen without a trouble code being recorded. And it sure didn't take years of testing to determine this fact.

Knowing the producer of this story as well as I do, I can virtually guarantee that this video was taken during a tripped SUA event... the ramifications of using less-accurate video in this situation are too far reaching to risk.

Knowing the producer of this story as well as I do, I can virtually guarantee that this video was taken during a tripped SUA event... the ramifications of using less-accurate video in this situation are too far reaching to risk.

That shot was around 2:15 in the video. I would also think it was on the editing table shot. You don't see anything in the reflection as far as trees or whatnot, the seat belt lights are on yet both men are wearing their belts, and well, most noticeably, you don't hear the engine rev until the next scene. Even in a luxurious Avalon you should hear engine noise at WOT. If it was an electrical gremlin causing the tach to jump, you would expect the speedo to sweep too.

I also have a hard time believing that the engine in that car would rev that fast in gear, let alone not upshift when gets within 500 rpm of redline like every other Toyota.

Edited by Sixt9coug

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........WHEW.....GIGGLE....GIGGLE....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Oh man my sides hurt..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry but I just heard another toyota fanboy in the office defend them and it is hilarious. "people are blowing this out of proportion, there was like 100 faults in millions of cars? the government is screwing toyota because they own gm and chrysler now and want them to succeed."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The funniest part is, what if it was true and the government WAS screwing toyota? EVEN BETTER!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........WHEW.....GIGGLE....GIGGLE....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....

Oh man my sides hurt..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry but I just heard another toyota fanboy in the office defend them and it is hilarious. "people are blowing this out of proportion, there was like 100 faults in millions of cars? the government is screwing toyota because they own gm and chrysler now and want them to succeed."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The funniest part is, what if it was true and the government WAS screwing toyota? EVEN BETTER!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

As long as people think this way, Toyota won't be going down.

Just as Firestone tires and cruise control fires didn't end Ford.