• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That what you had in mind?

Not exactly. Would the school ever have the right to say any of these things:

You can't play baseball because you're black

You can't be in the band because you're jewish

You can't play basketball because you're white

You can't be in the chess club because you're disabled

I just want to understand what types of discrimination you find acceptable.

Not exactly. Would the school ever have the right to say any of these things:

You can't play baseball because you're black

You can't be in the band because you're jewish

You can't play basketball because you're white

You can't be in the chess club because you're disabled

I just want to understand what types of discrimination you find acceptable.

None of the above.

You can't go to the prom because you're lesbians.

Is that acceptable? If it is then how is that different from the ones above?

Acceptable to me? No, except as I said above I would impose a dress and behavioral code (no girls in a tux/guys in prom dresses and no PDA).

The difference could be summed up as a question: Is there such a thing as "behaving" black, jewish, white or disabled, and does that differ from "behaving" lesbian? The answer (I'd have to acknowledge) would be yes.

(NOTE: That is not intended as justification for the school board's actions, but it might help to understand them.)

Michael jackson was black?

That's what it said in the memo.

point is the decision should be the right of the individuals throwing the perty...it shouldnt have to always seem to have over seers or "intervention" by a higher authority....like I have repeatedly asked...WHAT authority does the school have?...looks like absolutely NONE, and IMO they are probably ( if found guilty of wrongfull actions ) be held accountable....

How can they be found guilty or proven wrong or held accountable without a lawsuit? And the lawsuit was not filed by the girl - it was filed by the ACLU.

If nothing is done then nothing will change and the school will continue to discriminate against whomever they want and the people who are wrongfully discriminated against will continue to have their rights taken away.

What if blacks in the 1950s had just accepted that they were not allowed to be in the same schools as whites? After all, shouldn't that have been the school's decision whether they wanted blacks or not? How DARE those whiny folks file a stupid lawsuit challenging the school's authority. They were obviously just grandstanding.

Oh wait - that was Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka, KS. It led the way for integrated schools and ultimately the entire civil rights movement. And that would not have happened without a lawsuit.

People who file lawsuits looking for special treatement is one thing, and I totally agree with you in that case. But looking at the facts filed in the court documents it doesn't appear there was anything going on here except a student wanting to have the exact same experience at her one and only senior prom as all of her other classmates. No special treatment at all. Just equal rights.

...how bout These are the rules, abide by them or dont come....oh, and NO rap music...

I'm not sure how you can say you're open minded and post all of the things that you do. You seem to think that the girls did something wrong. The reality is, they didn't. You seem to think that the laws should never be challenged, even if we see them as wrong. I just don't understand it.

Acceptable to me? No, except as I said above I would impose a dress and behavioral code (no girls in a tux/guys in prom dresses and no PDA).

The difference could be summed up as a question: Is there such a thing as "behaving" black, jewish, white or disabled, and does that differ from "behaving" lesbian? The answer (I'd have to acknowledge) would be yes.

(NOTE: That is not intended as justification for the school board's actions, but it might help to understand them.)

That's what it said in the memo.

LMAO.....anyways, juicy subject, it saddens me that it seems all authority as of late defeats to lawyers and above, right or wrong I find that pathetic, I mean, lets exagerate this, what happens if ones kid gets out of line....is it going to become so bad that before one punishes the child one has to call a local legal hotline????? Seems THATS the way things are headed....the only other alternative is a complete hands off status for fear of rocking SOMEONES boat and embrace total mayhem....and THAT is why I beleive the School did what it did....a vain attempt to AVOID any possible confrontation....they mis-calculated the tenacity of those that be ( insert appropriate minority as this isnt an isolated case of "supposed discrimination" ) I guess.....

Edited by Deanh

I'm not sure how you can say you're open minded and post all of the things that you do. You seem to think that the girls did something wrong. The reality is, they didn't. You seem to think that the laws should never be challenged, even if we see them as wrong. I just don't understand it.

and you are most certainly proclaiming the individuals innocence without ALL the facts such as why the school used its authority to begin with...like I will continue to say,I beleive there is more to it.....on face value I dont agree with their decision....but I applaud someone standing up and politely saying...NO, NOT ACCEPTABLE.....is that so hard to understand?

just for that I'm going to ride the wrong direction going home, not wear a helmet AND exceed the speed limit.....

How can they be found guilty or proven wrong or held accountable without a lawsuit? And the lawsuit was not filed by the girl - it was filed by the ACLU.

If nothing is done then nothing will change and the school will continue to discriminate against whomever they want and the people who are wrongfully discriminated against will continue to have their rights taken away.

What if blacks in the 1950s had just accepted that they were not allowed to be in the same schools as whites? After all, shouldn't that have been the school's decision whether they wanted blacks or not? How DARE those whiny folks file a stupid lawsuit challenging the school's authority. They were obviously just grandstanding.

Oh wait - that was Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka, KS. It led the way for integrated schools and ultimately the entire civil rights movement. And that would not have happened without a lawsuit.

People who file lawsuits looking for special treatement is one thing, and I totally agree with you in that case. But looking at the facts filed in the court documents it doesn't appear there was anything going on here except a student wanting to have the exact same experience at her one and only senior prom as all of her other classmates. No special treatment at all. Just equal rights.

question...how did it come to the ACLU's attention....hmmmm, SOMEONE brought it to their attention no? And I do understand all the points being made here, and generally agree, my one issue is NOT knowing all the facts that led to the school actually making the decision, and no one here does either,,this MAY in fact have absolutely NOTHING to do with sexual preferences, but BECAME that when the young girl decided to use said "excuse" as LEVERAGE....has anyone adressed THAT angle? Nope....too busy jumping on the lesbian train, what if it was JUST about dress code? waht if she threw a tirade and threatened the school from a legal standpoint yelling she has rights?.....and perhaps in defiance the school just said ...'Fine, proms cancelled, we dont want to deal with it....' ....sure is getting the Gay Rights some valuable media time isnt it?.....mission accomplished....

found this little snippet...shame on both parties....hearing is monday I guess.........In the court documents, McMillen said Rick Mitchell, the assistant principal at the school, told her she could not attend the prom with her girlfriend but they could go with "guys." Superintendent Teresa McNeece told the teen that the girls should attend the prom separately, had to wear dresses and couldn't slow dance with each other because that could "push people's buttons," according to court documents......so, bad move on the schools behalf, although them standing up for their principles is obviously TOTALLY different than the girl standing up for hers....BUT bottom line, if she REALLY wanted to go, is it SO hard NOT to wear a tuxedo?.....right or wrong she had the choice.....and obviously didnt get the response SHE wanted....what ever happened to COMPROMISE?

found this little snippet...shame on both parties....hearing is monday I guess.........In the court documents, McMillen said Rick Mitchell, the assistant principal at the school, told her she could not attend the prom with her girlfriend but they could go with "guys." Superintendent Teresa McNeece told the teen that the girls should attend the prom separately, had to wear dresses and couldn't slow dance with each other because that could "push people's buttons," according to court documents......so, bad move on the schools behalf, although them standing up for their principles is obviously TOTALLY different than the girl standing up for hers....BUT bottom line, if she REALLY wanted to go, is it SO hard NOT to wear a tuxedo?.....right or wrong she had the choice.....and obviously didnt get the response SHE wanted....what ever happened to COMPROMISE?

In other words, shut up and stay in the closet. You're SO open-minded. Lesbians don't choose to be lesbians any more than you or RangerM choose to be hetero (assuming you are).

The school administration is just a bunch of homophobes who don't want lesbians at their prom. I bet if you asked the students 95% of them wouldn't care.

I don't have anything else to say that hasn't already been said 27 times.

Anyone care to bet they'll hold the prom, after all?

I'll bet the school won't. It'll be held by a private party.

Suppose they'd cancel if I want to wear a dress, I could always borrow Deans pumps..... :stirpot: :shades:

snicker snicker

In other words, shut up and stay in the closet. You're SO open-minded. Lesbians don't choose to be lesbians any more than you or RangerM choose to be hetero (assuming you are).

The school administration is just a bunch of homophobes who don't want lesbians at their prom. I bet if you asked the students 95% of them wouldn't care.

I don't have anything else to say that hasn't already been said 27 times.

see, this is where you ARE wrong, I say let them go, just abide by the same rules/ standards as everyone else...then ALL parties should be happy...but APPARENTLY there should be two sets of rules....I have NOTHING against this girls sexuality, I FROWN on the schools handling of the situation, and i scorn her inability to conform to a dress code and use said sexuality as a strongarm tactic to try and get HER way....Kirb, BOTH sides are at fault...I repeat...BOTH, a few here including yourself somehow fail to see that....NOW whos close minded?