Falcon Drivetrain Struggles With Torque of Blown Coyote

Hey guys,

Here's a bit of news from Australia:

Link to Caradvice.com.au

Insiders claim FPV engineers are having a great deal of trouble with the FG's drivetrain and coping with the extra torque produced by the new line of supercharged V8 engines.

Ford Australia Communications Manager, Sinead McAlary told CarAdvice:

We are moving forward with our plans to launch our exciting new V8 engines later this year. We'll tell everyone more about the new V8 engines and their vehicles at the appropriate time.

Read into that as you will.

The latest spy photographs suggest wider tyres may be on the cards (bigger flared rear wheel arches can be seen in the photo below), despite earlier rumours that tyre widths would remain unchanged across the range.

FPV_GTH_CA_1-625x259.jpg

FPV_GTH_CA_2-625x236.jpg

Our inside source suggested that power figures may have to be detuned if the drivetrain continues to fail under load. What we can tell you is that the figures Ford had hoped for when it released preliminary information to the Department of Transport in December, 2009 were:

• Ford Falcon XR8
    • 5.0-litre Supercharged V8 (Coyote)
    • 315kW @ 6500rpm

[*]Ford Falcon GT/GT-E/GT-P

• 330kW @ 6600rpm

[*]Ford Falcon GT-H

• 351kW @ 6850rpm

Finally, the induction ports seen on both sides of the front bumper bar seen on test vehicles to date indicate the fog lights will be banished and LED Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) will be used instead, according to our insider. They will be similar to those currently fitted to the HSV E2 Series.

FPV_GTH_CA_3-398x480.jpg

351 kW is "only" 470HP....that isn't all that impressive considering the NA Coyote is supposedly putting down 440ish at the crank. I'm assuming that transmission problems are with the Automatic, since the T6 in the GT500 would be able to handle that with no problem...

351 kW is "only" 470HP....that isn't all that impressive considering the NA Coyote is supposedly putting down 440ish at the crank. I'm assuming that transmission problems are with the Automatic, since the T6 in the GT500 would be able to handle that with no problem...

There is horsepower, and then there is torque.

Then, there are factory quoted figures - for example Mustang GT's 412hp, which you think is substantially under-rated - and then there is actual power, which in this blown case, is grossly under-rated. And from what I can gather, FPV have spent a lot of time trying to hold back the power, especially with the entry level models.

I wonder what specifically is causing issues. I would think the new trans would've been spec'd with the new engine. If they didn't do that and are pumping this into the old trans, of course theres likely to be issues.

Mainly axle drive shaft diameter, the rest of the unit is very tough and able to withstand lots of abuse. The problem dates back to the original introduction of the Control Blade IRS in 2002 and is known to FoA but they have avoided changing the part until now as it only shows up under heavy torque applications, we're talking up near 480-500 lb ft.

Answered above.

Also, Imagine the Coyote with an extra 100 to 150 lb ft at 2,000 rpm,

that would be nice too eh?

Edited by jpd80

So the lack of an IRS on the Mustang might not be such a bad thing after all... :stirpot:

It's to do with Axle diameter and never having access to a production blown V8 before.

Not throwing stones at Ford's other products but this is something that can be cured

long before any customers ever see the car, I don't see how that is a negative.

Our little Aussie Falcon is growing up...

It's to do with Axle diameter and never having access to a production blown V8 before.

Not throwing stones at Ford's other products but this is something that can be cured

long before any customers ever see the car, I don't see how that is a negative.

Our little Aussie Falcon is growing up...

But the data is there and Ford NA already did the homework and passed the test. There have been to date 3 high torque vehicles (Cobra, GT500, and GT). I don't understand the poor use of resources...if that is the case. This should be a no brainer.

I wouldn't read too much into the doom and gloom of the article, all that's needed is an upgraded set of drive axles to make the IRS work. It just takes a little time to change the part so it can be used in all Falcons even the I-6.