The only hybrid that can save your money is Fusion hybrid

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/04/22/investopedia43617.DTL

Nissan Altima Hybrid - Years to Break Even on Fuel Savings: 21

Toyota Prius - Years to Break Even on Fuel Savings: 20

Honda Civic Hybrid - Years to Break Even on Fuel Savings: 17

Honda Insight - Years to Break Even on Fuel Savings: 16.5

Toyota Camry Hybrid - Years to Breakeven: 15

Mercury Milan Hybrid - Years to Breakeven: 13

Ford Fusion Hybrid - Years to Breakeven: 5.6

Actually their numbers are pretty spot on. A Milan Hybrid starts @ 31K. A similarly equipped Milan I-4 is somewhere around 25-26K.

Yeah, but isn't the markup for the Fusion Hybrid pretty similar over a similarly equipped I-4 Fusion??

Edited by NickF1011

Actually their numbers are pretty spot on. A Milan Hybrid starts @ 31K. A similarly equipped Milan I-4 is somewhere around 25-26K.

Yeah, but isn't the markup for the Fusion Hybrid pretty similar over a similarly equipped I-4 Fusion??

Per Ford/Mercury Web sites' build-and-price features:

Base Milan Hybrid: $31,980

Similarly-Equipped Milan Premier I-4: $26,220

Base Fusion Hybrid: $27,950

Similarly-Equipped Fusion SEL I-4: $23,880

So I think their calculation is off, although it is the case that Milan Hybrid comes effectively only in one configuration, and it is possible to get a Fusion Hybrid with less features than a Milan Hybrid and therefore lower price.

Last year, I recall an article posted on BON indicating that Prius taxis recouped much of the price difference in the first 12 months due to fuel savings. Anecdotal evidence from local Prius taxi drivers her in Australia indicates similar with many owners moving away from larger RWD LPG (propane.butane) taxis to the more efficient Prius.

The article also doesn't seem to take into account the higher resale value of Hybrid vehicles. Local experience suggests the Hybrids hold their higher value and don't depreciate as badly as conventional vehicles.

Also,

Mondeo diesel is claiming slightly better average fuel economy that Camry Hybrid, that's in Australia using the European combined figure sourced from Urban/Extra Urban tests.

Edited by jpd80

Last year, I recall an article posted on BON indicating that Prius taxis recouped much of the price difference in the first 12 months due to fuel savings. Anecdotal evidence from local Prius taxi drivers her in Australia indicates similar with many owners moving away from larger RWD LPG (propane.butane) taxis to the more efficient Prius.

The article also doesn't seem to take into account the higher resale value of Hybrid vehicles. Local experience suggests the Hybrids hold their higher value and don't depreciate as badly as conventional vehicles.

Well, I could see costs being recouped on a taxi much faster since they usually accumulate mileage much faster than privately owned vehicles.

By the way, what's the metric equivalent of "mileage"? :lol:

Well, I could see costs being recouped on a taxi much faster since they usually accumulate mileage much faster than privately owned vehicles.

It's called fuel economy.

And the figures are presented in liters /100 kilometres.

It's pretty good because you actually see how much fuel you use over 62.5 miles

compared to your system where you know how far a gallon of gas will take you.

Edited by jpd80

kilometerage

And the figures are presented in liters /100 kilometres.

It's pretty good because you actually see how much fuel you use over 62.5 miles

compared to your system where you know how far a gallon of gas will take you.

Just think, if we changed to that standard in the USA, how tough it would be to get some mathematically challenged people to realize that a lower number in fuel economy is actually better! :banghead:

Hybrids also save money on maintenance costs. I wonder why they did not include those costs in these calculations, money and time spent on maintenance is still money.

It also doesn't take into consideration resale. Much of the up-front money spent on a hybrid is recouped when you trade it in. The article also doesn't always compare equally equipped or comparable cars. For example, a Prius compares to a Corolla or Matrix in size and content, not a Yaris.

Overall, most hybrids do in fact save the buyer money when you factor everything else together. The Fusion Hybrid might actually be cheaper to own than a comparably equipped I4 Fusion regardless of how long you own it.

The thread title is very misleading, if not an outright lie.

You can save money on any hybrid. It just depends on how long you own it, and how much you drive it.

The battery can only last 10 years.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=542377

Onlyl Ford fusion can breakeven at 5.6 years

Edited by weiweishen

Also,

Mondeo diesel is claiming slightly better average fuel economy that Camry Hybrid, that's in Australia using the European combined figure sourced from Urban/Extra Urban tests.

I think the difference is that one of these figures is Prius compared to another compact car and the other is Prius compared to a traditional taxi.

But resale value is definitely a factor worth considering, as is the fact that -- at least in the case of the Prius -- it's a roomier, more pleasant vehicle than, say, a Corolla.

what about the future 1.6 and 2.0 Ecoboost engines in Fusion?

Currently, the 2.5 I-4 city economy is around 23 mpg but a 1,6 EB could boost that to 26 mpg. Now to

most people a 2400 lb car with 180 lb ft down low and a 6-speed trans is going to feel like a small V6.

I'm wondering whether the greater majority of the population will go for the EB engines ahead of hybrid,

they promise pretty good city gas mileage and enough power to keep people relatively happy.

Maybe Ford's Ecoboost is still looking much better for most buyers.....

Edited by jpd80