Where's the advertising?

jnbg

Since I knew the Fusion was coming out this fall I have been eagerly awaiting the national ad campaign for this car. I waited, and waited, and finally the Sunday before Thanksgiving saw 1 ad for the Fusion. I sure hope that others are seeing more ads for Ford Division cars than I am.

My TV watching is mostly on the weekend but here is my tally of what I have seen from Sept.-Nov.

F-series; over 100 ads

Explorer; about 18

Fusion; 1

500; 0

Focus; 0

Freestyle; 0

Ranger; 0

CVic ; 0

I'm not saying that F-series shouldn't be strongly advertised, but when I see 5 or 6 F150 commercials in 1 Hr. including the same particular commercial twice, there is a point of overkill.

If Ford is going to get back in the public's mind when it comes to cars, the problem seems painfully obvious to me. The 500 was just introduced last year, and I haven't seen a national ad fot it in about 5 months now.

I would love to be wrong on this. Others please tell me what you are seeing.

Since I knew the Fusion was coming out this fall I have been eagerly awaiting the national ad campaign for this car. I waited, and waited, and finally the Sunday before Thanksgiving saw 1 ad for the Fusion. I sure hope that others are seeing more ads for Ford Division cars than I am.

My TV watching is mostly on the weekend but here is my tally of what I have seen from Sept.-Nov.

F-series; over 100 ads

Explorer; about 18

Fusion; 1

500; 0

Focus; 0

Freestyle; 0

Ranger; 0

CVic ; 0

I'm not saying that F-series shouldn't be strongly advertised, but when I see 5 or 6 F150 commercials in 1 Hr. including the same particular commercial twice, there is a point of overkill.

If Ford is going to get back in the public's mind when it comes to cars, the problem seems painfully obvious to me. The 500 was just introduced last year, and I haven't seen a national ad fot it in about 5 months now.

I would love to be wrong on this. Others please tell me what you are seeing.

As of late, I haven't seen much advertising at all. The most common is the Buick LaCrosse (I think......the one that's set to the tune of Aerosmith's Dream On). I've always noticed the heavy F-series ads....that's nothing new around here (seems to be most common during football games). The one thing that ALWAYS pissed me off is the lack of Mustang commercials. Of course, with the 2005, Ford tok care of that and made sure to sufficiently market the car. Prior to that, I recall ONE commercial for the SN95 body style, and it was lame as all hell. I believe it was around 1997, and it was an ad for a Cobra. Bunch of guys were contemplating "shaving creaming" the Cobra as it was the getaway car for the newlyweds. When they noticed it was a Cobra, they couldn't do it. :rolleyes: Yes, and this was the BEST Ford could do, from the early 90s until the debut of the 2005.

The 500 was just introduced last year, and I haven't seen a national ad fot it in about 5 months now.

Eh. You're probably watching the wrong channels.

Besides, Ford's ad budget has moved away from heavy TV advertising lately, and it's something of an industry trend. When was the last time you saw an ad for a Honda Accord, etc.?

A very solid portion of Ford ad revenue goes to the 'buff' books--it's a business reailty, but it still irks me that Ford's advertising budget pays for the extremely slanted coverage at C&D, MT, etc.

There is much heavier internet advertising going on (Ford's ads are in heavy rotation on car websites like Yahoo Auto, MSN, Edmunds, etc.)

And the final piece of the pie is the local Co-op advertising with the car dealerships in your area. That is still where a lot of money gets spent. Your local dealership's TV ads during the 6:00 news, or whenever. And the print ads in the weekend paper.

I have to agree with Richard, most of the ads are from local dealers. I know Ford has gotten more into movie ads. Product placement. They have movies and t.v. shows place thier cars/trucks into the show. I like the idea because most people pay no attention to commercials(except during the super bowl). You see the car or truck being used, maybe you like the looks and go test drive one.

TV doesn't move cars. Newspaper does.

TV and Magazine are for image only.

But also factor in demographic targets and their media usage.

Ford bought a ton of internet ads for the Fusion. You coulsdn't go onto any site without seeing an ad.

Ford and their ad agency researched the media usage of the Fusion target and Internet won out over TV.

Believe me, there is a lot of time and money spent on researching how to reach your target.

Thanks for the replies. They make me feel somewhat better but I still have some concerns. I do see alot of TV ads for Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, and Mazda (zoom zoom zoom) cars. I see those ads along with all the F-series ads. I can't recall about Honda Accord.

Also, yesterday I saw one Merc. Milan ad during a football game. That was encouraging. The local advertising I see (Northland Ford&LM dealers) is mostly Mercury ads. The only Ford division stuff is generic (red tag sale) explorer, F-150, and brief mention of Ranger.

I just wish that Ford would make more comparisons with competitors vehicles regarding EPA ratings, safety, and price. Most of the non auto buffs (and even some engineers I work with) seem to think that the Japanese vehicle is always more fuel efficient than a domestic. I have had to print out EPA numbers for the Titan and Tundra to prove to people that they are not better than F-150.

That's what worries me the most, is the general public and media perception seems so pervasive.

Eh. You're probably watching the wrong channels...

...When was the last time you saw an ad for a Honda Accord, etc.?...

From my own limited perspective here in LA -

Honda - yesterday, frequently. Not specifically for the Accord. They have an irritating bunch of carolers :P singing "We wish you a HONDA HOLIDAY". icon8.gificon8.gificon8.gif

Lincoln - yesterday, frequently. Mostly the 30 second one with the Zep, LT, & Navi; but also the Zephyr 'Reach Higher' ads that I like. B)

Fusion - still seeing them, tho less frequently. But don't think they've nailed the competition yet. It comes across too boy racer. I want to see one really targeting Camcord drones.

Haven't seen Jill lately :( Hope Merc ads start again soon.

Wish they'd do some 500 ads again - been a looong time since I've seen one - not a scientific survey but seems they're forgetting about it <_<

And going back to Jill :) Why not have her and a bunch of her friends (equally attractive!) :D driving MONTEGO's?... like they go shopping and 3million pkgs fit in the trunk (Do NOT repeat the weatherman ones).

Fusion - still seeing them, tho less frequently. But don't think they've nailed the competition yet. It comes across too boy racer. I want to see one really targeting Camcord drones.

Something similar to the Mazda6 commercials awhile back would work for that. The Fusion needs to be marketed as a viable alternative to the boring humdrum sedans from Toyota and others. The AWD and new motor should help this one out in another year or so...

Yeah, the Madza commercial was in the back of mind but it still emphasizes the Mz6 as being different from the Camcord... not nec. better - drones don't zoom.

Not an easy distinction to make. I'm leaning towards a "my first REAL car" theme for Fusion. You know that airline animated commercial where the guy makes his presentation and gets the job? Sorta follow that storyline... "and then he buys a REAL car... & shows his friends admiring his Fusion saying "a REAL car" over & over.

Also like to see Merc capitalize on it's "a bit nicer" reputation - turning it into "a bit nicer than Camcord".

ps JUST saw a Milan 30 sec spot :D no Jill tho pout.gif

The local advertising I see (Northland Ford&LM dealers) is mostly Mercury ads. The only Ford division stuff is generic (red tag sale) explorer, F-150, and brief mention of Ranger.

Yippee! We live in the same dealer region.

However, the red tag sale is GM, not Ford (Ford's "sale" is "Keep It Simple Pricing").

BTW, that "keep it simple pricing" campaign is a great idea, IMO. It's a year-end closeout sale without all the trumpeting and fanfare. Hopefully the Dec. sales statistics will justify this less brand eroding promotion (although I'd prefer to see them offering lease deals a la Honda, instead of "you save" price comparisons).

Ford advertises? <_<

Could have fooled me.

yeah. try a full page, full color ad a minimum of once a week in almost every newspaper in the country.

Newspaper moves cars. television does not.

Ford is still a major advertiser in total spend Just because you do not see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

yeah. try a full page, full color ad a minimum of once a week in almost every newspaper in the country.

Newspaper moves cars. television does not.

Ford is still a major advertiser in total spend Just because you do not see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Uh oh. We're in a lot deeper trouble than I thought- especially after this comment:

"Ford and their ad agency researched the media usage of the Fusion target and Internet won out over TV.

Believe me, there is a lot of time and money spent on researching how to reach your target."

Television creates the exposure, need, and desire to research a model further. The internet and the newspaper are merely tools to accomplish that objective- but without the first step, the second and third step are doomed.

Don't believe me? GM hammers the Impala and the Cobalt in our region- and we can't keep one on the lot. Ford keeps the 500 and the Freestyle as well-kept Corporate secrets. It's working. ;)

Before you think I'm flying off the wall here- over 30 years experience in sales/sales mgt, Chevy and Ford. 4th largest volume Chevy store in our region, fifth largest Ford store in our region- out of a small town in an outlying semi-rural area. Just my way of saying I'm not a newbie when it comes to advertising and marketing. :rolleyes:

This is Ford, not Audi. The majority of our customers aren't sitting at home surfing the net looking for a new car, they're getting glimpses of interesting stuff on TV while cooking dinner or helping kids with homework. Unfortunately, up here, it's everyone elses stuff.

Uh oh. We're in a lot deeper trouble than I thought- especially after this comment:

"Ford and their ad agency researched the media usage of the Fusion target and Internet won out over TV.

Believe me, there is a lot of time and money spent on researching how to reach your target."

Television creates the exposure, need, and desire to research a model further. The internet and the newspaper are merely tools to accomplish that objective- but without the first step, the second and third step are doomed.

Don't believe me? GM hammers the Impala and the Cobalt in our region- and we can't keep one on the lot. Ford keeps the 500 and the Freestyle as well-kept Corporate secrets. It's working. ;)

Before you think I'm flying off the wall here- over 30 years experience in sales/sales mgt, Chevy and Ford. 4th largest volume Chevy store in our region, fifth largest Ford store in our region- out of a small town in an outlying semi-rural area. Just my way of saying I'm not a newbie when it comes to advertising and marketing. :rolleyes:

This is Ford, not Audi. The majority of our customers aren't sitting at home surfing the net looking for a new car, they're getting glimpses of interesting stuff on TV while cooking dinner or helping kids with homework. Unfortunately, up here, it's everyone elses stuff.

I work in advertising so I know how this works firsthand.

You also underestimate the power of the internet. People spend more time with the internet than any other media with the exception of TV and Radio.

Radio listening is pretty much all in the car.

The nature of TV being in 30 and 60 minute blocks forces extended viewing.

Internet will be the number 2 medium in total weekly hours consumed and total ad media spend within the next 2 years.

Now these are averages. Total TV is being propped up by the older folks who watch ALOT.

Under 35s? More internet usage than TV viewing in the average week.

Ford hit it on the head when they opted for more internet vs TV.

Also, when in the market for a new car.... you dont watch TV. You read the newspaper and car mags and you check out internet car sites.

I work in advertising so I know how this works firsthand.

You also underestimate the power of the internet. People spend more time with the internet than any other media with the exception of TV and Radio.

Radio listening is pretty much all in the car.

The nature of TV being in 30 and 60 minute blocks forces extended viewing.

Internet will be the number 2 medium in total weekly hours consumed and total ad media spend within the next 2 years.

Now these are averages. Total TV is being propped up by the older folks who watch ALOT.

Under 35s? More internet usage than TV viewing in the average week.

Ford hit it on the head when they opted for more internet vs TV.

Also, when in the market for a new car.... you dont watch TV. You read the newspaper and car mags and you check out internet car sites.

Six full-time people in internet- no, we don't underestimate it, and have the investment to prove it. But...

1. It's great the under-35 crowd uses the internet more- that's fact. But the folks with the money- your primary and largest block of new car buyers, are over 35. More to the point, they gravitate towards the more profitable products, not entry level lines.

2. People do use the net and the paper when they're in the market. I'd like to see the percentages of people that didn't know they were in the market until they saw something that caught their eyes- it's huge. The Mustang campaign drove people into the showrooms that weren't necessarily Mustang buyers. The Impala and Cobalt ads are bringing people into the showroom that weren't necessarily GM shoppers or buyers. The TV campaign didn't sell the cars, but it put us on the shopping list- and that's step #1.

3. Internet will be the #2 medium within a few years. I contend Ford's ignoring the #1 medium though, and it's costing Ford....and us, a ton of business through lack of exposure.

The next time you see someone driving a new Camry or Accord, ask them what they know about the Ford Fusion. Or ask a recent Subaru Outback owner what they know about a Freestyle. I'll bet you lunch you'll be greeted by blank stares more often then not. The sales numbers in the Pacific Nwst prove it.

Uh, they do have a Denny's out your way, right? :)

Interesting comments from all and I have acouple of questions for Polarbear.

What about some of the older models such as CVic, Ranger, Lincoln LS. I know they should have been updated before now, but do you think that some advertising would improve sales or just take away form other Ford and LM models? Those seem to be extreme cases where Ford does zero advertising, doesn't display the cars at shows, Etc.

It seems to me that whenever they sell some of the older models that they are making a profit, because their development and tooling expense has been long paid for.

Are there regional marketing people that listen or respond to the dealers concerns about marketing?

GM hammers the Impala and the Cobalt in our region- and we can't keep one on the lot. Ford keeps the 500 and the Freestyle as well-kept Corporate secrets. It's working. ;)

Before you think I'm flying off the wall here- over 30 years experience in sales/sales mgt, Chevy and Ford. 4th largest volume Chevy store in our region, fifth largest Ford store in our region

Why isn't your regional dealership group spending more on TV advertising, and what is your dealership doing with its co-op dollars?

Interesting comments from all and I have acouple of questions for Polarbear.

What about some of the older models such as CVic, Ranger, Lincoln LS. I know they should have been updated before now, but do you think that some advertising would improve sales or just take away form other Ford and LM models? Those seem to be extreme cases where Ford does zero advertising, doesn't display the cars at shows, Etc.

It seems to me that whenever they sell some of the older models that they are making a profit, because their development and tooling expense has been long paid for.

Are there regional marketing people that listen or respond to the dealers concerns about marketing?

I'm going to disclaim LM, since I have zero experience with that product, other than owning (our second) Grand Marquis. On the other side, the Ranger still competes successfully, with rebates and proper ad support. Although an aging product, the Ranger has a stellar rep as a functional, durable, value-priced compact truck. On that basis, it's not a hard sell- even against newer, fancier, and more expensive competition (priced a Colorado or Tacoma lately?). In our region, advertising is focused on trucks and SUV's. That's fine, but a F-Series has a fine rep and a large, devoted following. Translated, most everyone already knows what the product is and where to find it.

The CV? Good question. It's not really a "switch rig," meaning those in the market will buy a CV or a GM.... or not look at them at all. Then again, it's been so long since anyone tried a marketing push on the model, I can't even predict what would happen. The first step, if you spent the ad dollars, would have to be to get dealers to inventory the model in the first place.

I'd personally like to see advertising directed towards markets with the highest potential sales increases- Focus's, 500's, and now Fusions. There's grounded inventory, a product that's competitive in it's segments, and a National Marketing Plan in place.

The Corvette is an interesting study in internet marketing- primarily because that model takes the lions share of Chevy inquiries. I point this out because Corvette buyers aren't typically looking on the net trying to decide whether to buy a 'Vette or a Boxster. They know what they're going to buy, it's just a question of what equipment, how much, and where to buy it. Don't need a step #1 (TV) with that product, unless you're trying to draw bowtie traffic into the showroom. That's where the Mustang is more effective- most Ford dealers have Mustangs to show, something not true of Chevy dealers and Corvettes.

re: Regional marketing people. Honestly, they listen, but I think those decisions aren't made here, so the folks that need to be listening may not be getting the message.

Why isn't your regional dealership group spending more on TV advertising, and what is your dealership doing with its co-op dollars?

Now I have to be careful. Dealers...ummm... like to run with what they know works. We know pickups sell. We know Explorers sell. Sooo... the regional ad group hammers already successful products, then pats themselves on the back for the great job they're doing. I suspect there's a little of that going on nationally too. We do print and, to a lesser extent, TV ads with the co-op dollars. Here's an interesting thing- we've noticed TV isn't necessarily a cost-effective way to sell product at our dealership- inet and print are much more cost effective for that purpose.

Remember, this car-sale thing isn't a hard puzzle:

1. Why buy brand X? features/benefits. That's the manufactuers gig.

2. Why buy brand X here? Superior sales/service, etc. There's the dealer's gig.

3. Why buy brand X here, now? The wheeling & dealing aspect of the car biz. Regional advertising? Promos, etc.

Then comes the hard part- service, and a good product are what's going to keep that customer coming back to a Blue Oval. A few decades ago, that wasn't a hard sell.

I don't know what channels you people are watching, but I am seeing Fusion television ads ALL the time -- on broadcast networks and on cable. <shrug> :rolleyes:

Come out here- you'll know the horsepower, gas mileage, or towing capacity of every Nissan and Toyota offered by the end of just about any evening.