HID Headlights and Tow Package for 2011 Edge Sport

scuubydoo3

Hey guys,

This is my first post on here, but I've been following the posts on the new 2011 Edge. I'm getting ready to pre-order mine as soon I know where to have it delivered. It will be my first brand new car. I'm sold on the Sport model but I'm kinda disappointed that the HID headlights, Tow Package, or even the Adaptive Cruise Control isnt available for the Sport model.

My question is... Is there anyway that those options could be added to the Sport. Maybe contacting Ford assembly and having them added particularly? I have a few watercraft and the tow package would especially be helpful.

Also, the Ford dealer down here in South Texas received a phone call whle I was in his office that informed him that the assembly of the 2011 models have been delayed until August. There's another post in the forum that has them being assembled right now and out in a few more weeks. Got anymore clarification on that also?

Thanks for all the help and I'm really looking forward getting my first new car... 2011 FORD EDGE !!

Hey guys,

This is my first post on here, but I've been following the posts on the new 2011 Edge. I'm getting ready to pre-order mine as soon I know where to have it delivered. It will be my first brand new car. I'm sold on the Sport model but I'm kinda disappointed that the HID headlights, Tow Package, or even the Adaptive Cruise Control isnt available for the Sport model.

My question is... Is there anyway that those options could be added to the Sport. Maybe contacting Ford assembly and having them added particularly? I have a few watercraft and the tow package would especially be helpful.

Also, the Ford dealer down here in South Texas received a phone call whle I was in his office that informed him that the assembly of the 2011 models have been delayed until August. There's another post in the forum that has them being assembled right now and out in a few more weeks. Got anymore clarification on that also?

Thanks for all the help and I'm really looking forward getting my first new car... 2011 FORD EDGE !!

Welcome, I am very new too. I have an Edge Sport on order already. Havent gotten any information yet and anxiously awaiting some official news.

About the tow pkg, I think the reason that it is not offered on the sport is because of the rear bumber on the sport. Go to the gallery under the 2011 edge and check out the difference when looking at the back of the normal model and sport model. They are really different. The sport has the skirt kit and the aero grill (like the X5 and other sporty suvs). The normal edge has a regular bumper and the wheel cover flaps. Trying to contact anbody would probably be a waste of time and unnecessarily delay everything for you. You can probably get something rigged aftermarket. If it is only for waverrunners, it should not be a problem. I have seen them mount bars under the car with a J tpye ball hook that is removable. Like I said a light watercraft wouldnt be a problem but a boat or heavy load will probably force the back to bottom out due to weight and scrape any hook that is wrapped around.

dont know why adaptive cruise isnt available, just a marketing thing I guess. The HID missing is unfortunate because that I would have gotten. It is only on the Limited model.

Lastly, your comment on the phone call while at the dealer is very upsetting. I hope it is not true. Others have said that work starts on Monday July 12 (this week off). did the dealer say anything else like, for the sports only - delay, all edges - delay, booohooo

Good luck with your decision and all.

Welcome, I am very new too. I have an Edge Sport on order already. Havent gotten any information yet and anxiously awaiting some official news.

About the tow pkg, I think the reason that it is not offered on the sport is because of the rear bumber on the sport. Go to the gallery under the 2011 edge and check out the difference when looking at the back of the normal model and sport model. They are really different. The sport has the skirt kit and the aero grill (like the X5 and other sporty suvs). The normal edge has a regular bumper and the wheel cover flaps. Trying to contact anbody would probably be a waste of time and unnecessarily delay everything for you. You can probably get something rigged aftermarket. If it is only for waverrunners, it should not be a problem. I have seen them mount bars under the car with a J tpye ball hook that is removable. Like I said a light watercraft wouldnt be a problem but a boat or heavy load will probably force the back to bottom out due to weight and scrape any hook that is wrapped around.

dont know why adaptive cruise isnt available, just a marketing thing I guess. The HID missing is unfortunate because that I would have gotten. It is only on the Limited model.

Lastly, your comment on the phone call while at the dealer is very upsetting. I hope it is not true. Others have said that work starts on Monday July 12 (this week off). did the dealer say anything else like, for the sports only - delay, all edges - delay, booohooo

Good luck with your decision and all.

Yeah, i was comparing the two versions on the 2011 360 degree view. Your right about the different rear end skirt. It kinda goes up at a 45 degree angle which would create a problem with the tow package. It sucks that i have to contemplate the idea of getting an aftermarket tow kit for the jetski. I really liked the idea of having the anti-sway control offered on the other models.

Any more information on the assembly. The sales manager i spoke with still says the assembly wont be til August.

Does anybody else on here have any ideas on how to get the HID headlights or other things i questioned about in the original post?

Does anybody else on here have any ideas on how to get the HID headlights or other things i questioned about in the original post?

Hi scuubydoo. :D Concerning your questions about the HID's and Tow Package: The available options and option packages listed in the Order Guides are the only possibilities for Factory Orders, It is not possible to "special order" options that are not available in the latest Ford Order Guides at the Dealerships. So "...contacting Ford assembly and having them added particularly" is not a possibility for anyone (well, maybe for Bill Ford, Allan Mulally or people of that stature at Ford, but not for us "normal people"). Simply put, if it can't be ordered by the Dealership, it can't be ordered at all.

If those options are not available on the Sport ( I have not checked the Order Guide), you are limited to adding them aftermarket. In addition, you will need to be careful with adding a tow package to the Sport, due to the larger diameter wheels and shorter sidewall tires. Those tires may not have a sufficient load rating for towing. While I have not checked, that may be the reason for the lack of a tow package in the first place, so adding a package could create Warranty problems, or even be dangerous. So check the load ratings on the tires for towing compatibility before doing anything. And of course, aftermarket HID kits have their own legal and often-times compatibility problems.

Anyway, sorry we don't have better news, but good luck with your shopping. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hey guys,

Build and price now working.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/edge/?glbcmp=ford|home|fordvehicles

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the 2011 Edgr Order Guide it appears HID headlamps are NOT available on the Sport. I find this curious as I would expect most buyers who think 22" Rims, a Blackened Grill, and a lower stance would also automatically go for the HID Headlamps.

I personally don't understand the benefits of the HID? Do they provide more light or is it just about looking cool? I am on the fence on HID. I will have to see both at night side by side on the dealer lot before I can decide.

I personally don't understand the benefits of the HID? Do they provide more light or is it just about looking cool?

Yes. They do provide more light but I find most people want them for looks - which explains the people buying blue tinted halogen bulbs and aftermarket HID bulbs that don't work as well as a factory HID kit.

You should be able to add HIDs to the sport with no problem other than buying the parts from Ford. If the OP really wants HIDs, adaptive cruise and factory tow package just get the limited and add the sport appearance goodies. Power should be fine - you can always add an intake, exhaust and tuner for a few extra ponies.

So what about the fog lamps? I think the Order Guide refers to them as Supplemental Park Lamps. Are those HID too if you get HID headlamp? It might look odd having HID headlamps with standard lighting fog lamps. Two different light sprectrums coming for the front of the Vehicle.

So what about the tow package. I have looked at the rear end differences between the Limited and Sport. There is a difference. Even though this package isnt out and I'm almost sure it could be done. I need to figure out if a trailer hitch could be installed on the Sport model. Pushing the jetski trailer to a boat ramp isnt quite an appealing ides.

I have entertained the idea of having a metal worker or someone to fabricate a custom trailer hitch. I was just wondering if Ford was intending on coming out with one for the Sport

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding the headlights, I think you will be quite satisfied with the standard bi-functional halogen setup. The 2011 Edge is one of the first OEM applications of Philips' 3rd generation HIR2 (Halogen Infrared Reflecting) bulb; both low and high beams should provide excellent uniformity, intensity, and distance.

• 1 month later...

I think that the HID's will give a slightly brighter and Whiter look from the lenses.

I ordered them on my Limited and to be completely honest, I did so partially for the look as I've seen many cars with factory installed HID and I like the look it gives the car, especially against a Black painted one.

Not to mention, when I would drive on the highway, I would be envious of European cars driving beside me lighting up the entire roadway, it's crazy how they make the night look like it's day in front of them. I hope the HID's on the 2011 Edge will be just as good as what I've seen from other European brands.

Tony

• 4 weeks later...